American Airlines and its partners fly to nearly 350 destinations in over 50 countries. In business for almost 100 years, the company has amassed a fleet containing around 1,000 vehicles.
Facts About Working at American Airlines
Minimum Age to Work at American Airlines: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at American Airlines?)
American Airlines Hours of Operation: Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Available Positions at American Airlines: Baggage handler, customer service representative, flight attendant, ramp agent, ticket agent
American Airlines Employee Interview Videos
American Airlines Job OpportunitiesPlentiful Openings
The airline has locations in all major cities across the United States. As such, applicants throughout the country have access to American Airlines jobs. Airports require many different people to work together, so hopefuls of varying interests can find satisfying careers.Focus on Customer Service
All entry-level American Airlines jobs share the goal of offering great customer service. From the maintenance staff to the sales department, all associates must show a commitment to providing a pleasant experience. That’s why candidates with previous employment in retail or other service roles thrive at the company.A Diverse Workforce
Inclusion and diversity are front and center in the corporate culture. Not only do managers look to hire people of different backgrounds, they want workers with varied skills. Any hopeful, from an individual problem solver to a team player, may find a rewarding American Airlines job.
Employment and Salary Information for American Airlines
Ample training is one of the benefits of employment with the industry leader. Candidates who start in the following entry-level positions can grow as professionals, turning the work into fulfilling American Airlines careers.
- Duties include getting passengers settled and keeping them comfortable during flights.
- Entry-level flight attendants typically earn a salary package of $40k with room for growth.
- Hiring managers seek energetic, driven, and positive workers to be the face of the airline.
- Learn more by reading the American Airlines flight attendant job description.
- Organized workers perform well in this position.
- These employees make average hourly wages between $9.00 and $10.00.
- As a physically demanding job, baggage handlers should be spry and willing to work on their feet.
- Check out the American Airlines baggage handler job description for further information.
Customer Service Representative
- Mild-mannered workers who can stay cool in any crisis do best in this role.
- Customer service reps see pay rates of about $13.00 an hour.
- Regular duties include fielding patron complaints and assisting confused passengers.
- Browse the American Airlines customer service representative job description to find out more.
Tips for Applying
Candidates can apply online by submitting an American Airlines job application through LinkedIn or the company career portal. Be sure to attach an updated resume and highlight how past employment is relevant. Most applicants spend between 15 and 30 minutes on the forms. Some positions require a current passport as well.
Once an American Airlines application form has been submitted, it could take a couple weeks for recruiters to reach out. The next steps in the hiring process might involve phone, video, or in-person interviews, plus additional screening methods.
Benefits of Working at American Airlines
American Airlines employees have access to a wide range of job benefits. Though some of the following may depend on part-time or full-time status, workers generally receive:
- Healthcare coverage, including vision, dental, and medical insurance
- Home and auto insurance policies
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Disability and life insurance
- Vacation or paid time off
- Employee discounts
Additional Information about American Airlines
One of the airline’s policies centers on being good global citizens. This means those who enjoy giving back to the community have plenty of opportunities to do so in American Airlines jobs. Employees regularly put in over 100,000 collective hours of volunteer work in a year.