Located throughout the American Midwest and Eastern Seaboard, hhgregg operates as one of the largest electronics and computers stores in the country. Around 230 locations reside in roughly 20 states. Stores regularly hire new staff to keep up with industry turnover and company growth.
Facts About Working at Hhgregg
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Hhgregg?)
Available Positions: Customer Service Representative, Sales Associate, Store Sales Manager, Warehouse Associate, Customer Service Merchandiser, Department Manager, Manager in Training, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Delivery Office Administrator, Delivery Office Supervisor, Receiver, Shipper, Transfer Driver, Inside Sales Representative - Commercial Business, Recruiting Specialist, Worker’s Compensation Specialist, Territory Manager
hhgregg Employment Opportunities
Founded as a family business in 1955, hhgregg maintains the personalized services shoppers expect from regional retailers. A leader in the industry, the retail chain stands recipient of numerous awards for customer service, including the 2014 J.D. Power & Associates Award for overall retailer satisfaction among patrons. Most locations comprise of more than 25,000sqft. of retail space, with product selections ranging from large home appliances to portable devices and laptop computers. Large stores and friendly, attentive staff help retain customers and lead to ongoing expansion. Each store boasts between 20 and 25 employees, with larger locations sometimes requiring upwards of 30 associates to maintain operations. The prominent electronics retailer routinely hires on new workers to meet the demands set forth by customers and to ensure the public image of excellence.
Despite high expectations of staff, hhgregg offers supportive work environments. Company values center on consideration and attention to detail. Workers must also remain knowledgeable and assistive. The computer and electronics retail chain offers ongoing and intensive training to keep associates well-informed of new and evolving industry trends. A majority of jobs available include daily interaction with customers and require employees to provide product recommendations or perform demonstrations. Applicants may also find work in company warehouses or the home headquarters in Indianapolis, IN.
hhgregg Job Prospects and Salary Information
Like most electronics stores, hhgregg requires applicants stand at least 18 years old and hold high school diplomas or equivalents for employment consideration. Other hiring requirements regularly include related experience, open availability, knowledge of electronics, and general motivations to work. Individuals interested in joining a successful nationwide chain of retail stores may choose from the following part-time and full-time opportunities:
- The basic job duties comprising sales associate jobs include greeting customers, demonstrating products and providing recommendations, pushing promotions, cleaning, organizing, and stocking assigned departments, and training new-hires.
- The retailer prefers workers to hold at least some sales experience.
- Working with others remains essential to daily operations, so applicants must enjoy teamwork to succeed.
- Physical requirements of the job include constant standing and walking around, minimal bending, stooping, and reaching to retrieve products for customers, and infrequent lifting of up to 50lbs.
- Candidates often assume irregular schedules upon hire and must indicate open availability.
- A typical sales associate earns between minimum wage and $10.00 per hour.
Customer Service Representative
- Essential entry-level job titles, customer service representative positions involve operating cash registers, ringing up purchases, scanning coupons and applying discounts, handling returns, re-shelving merchandise, and explaining polices, products, and services.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to work nights and weekends remain at the forefront of qualifications for customer service representative jobs.
- The regional retail chain also looks for friendly, personable, and energetic demeanors in candidates.
- Both part-time and full-time customer service roles pay minimum wage at start and offer increases up to $10.00 or $11.00 hourly.
- hhgregg offers multiple opportunities in warehouse work.
- Job seekers with little-to-no experience readily find employment as warehouse delivery, receiving, recycling, and shipping associates.
- No formal work histories prove necessary for hiring consideration.
- Applicants only need to meet the minimum age for employment and possess the physical stamina and strength to perform manual labor throughout each shift.
- Basic duties for warehouse associate jobs include loading and unloading trucks, breaking down packaging, organizing storage areas, and maintaining equipment.
- Safety and the ability to follow procedure comprise vital components of available job titles.
- The entry-level role pays an average of $9.00 or $10.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Applicants may pare down job searches using the company careers portal. After logging on by clicking the careers tab at the bottom of the homepage, workers gain access to a search engine operated exclusively by hhgregg. The search engine allows employment hopefuls to look for jobs based on state, city, or postal code in addition to specific area or department desired. The retail chain encourages individuals to submit resumes and hiring materials regardless of whether positions remain available, as the computer store often contacts candidates as vacancies open.
The hhgregg hiring process takes between a few days and a few weeks to complete. Depending on staffing needs, the retail chain may wait to reach out to candidates or immediately contact prospective associates to begin the interview process. Job seekers should take initiative in the event wait times take more than a week to hear back from the popular electronics retailer and contact the appropriate managers or recruitment personnel in order to check on the statuses of pending applications. Calling or visiting stores in person often increases odds of employment and shows dedication. Sending emails to hiring managers also serves as a productive method of checking on applications; however, in-store visits and phone calls represent more professional and direct methods of follow up.
Benefits of Working at hhgregg
Professional growth and camaraderie among employees rank as pivotal aspects of company operations. In order to engender supportive and expanding work environments, hhgregg offers excellent employment benefits. Automatic work benefits available to both entry-level staff and management upon hire include:
- Complimentary uniforms,
- Paid and ongoing training,
- Competitive pay, and significant discounts on products and services.
Eligible associates also receive:
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Healthcare options, and access to employee assistance programs.
Further Information on hhgregg
As a family-oriented business, hhgregg routinely gives back to surrounding communities. Philanthropic endeavors include annual scholarships to area youth, monetary donations to cancer research facilities, and the organization of inclusion programs teaching family values. The retail chain also partners with other areas nonprofits and initiatives, with opportunities for cross-promotion available via the company website, such as donations of goods for raffling or signage set up in store.