At What Age Does Publix Hire
Grocery store jobs are a popular choice for teens looking to join the workforce. Though Publix generally accepts applications from kids as young as 14, federal child labor laws prevent underage employees from performing hazardous tasks. Because of these guidelines, some locations are unable to hire individuals under 16.
How Old Do I Have to Be to Work at Publix
- Does Publix Hire at 17?:Yes. Seventeen-year-olds can legally perform almost any job at Publix, with the exception of pharmacy work and food preparation tasks in the bakery and deli.
- Does Publix Hire at 16?:Yes. At 16, minors can be bakery, produce and grocery clerks at this store.
- Does Publix Hire at 15?:Yes. Publix allows 15-year-olds to work as cashiers, though they will need an older associate to complete transactions involving alcohol and tobacco products.
- Does Publix Hire at 14?:Yes. Fourteen-year-olds can work at Publix provided they follow their state’s work permit policies. These youths typically hold positions as baggers, but can also be florist clerks.
Qualifications for Young Applicants
Depending on the rules of their state, teenage job seekers may need to obtain a work permit before they can gain employment at Publix. They will also need to show proof of age if they plan on applying for any food-handling tasks, or wish to work late-night shifts. Those looking for cashier positions should have basic math skills, while all employees need an upbeat attitude and customer service skills.
If chosen for an interview, candidates will explain any experience or personality traits that would make them an ideal employee. Some stores may require hopefuls to pass a drug test or background check as well. The entire screening process can take up to two weeks to complete, but successful applicants usually hear back from the company within a week or less.
Available Entry-Level Positions
- Bagger – These associates bag groceries for customers and help carry parcels to a patron’s car, if necessary. They also retrieve shopping carts from the parking lot and keep the storefront clean and organized. Baggers make about $9.00 per hour on average.
- Cashier – Cashiers are in charge of weighing, scanning and packaging items for shoppers. They also ring up purchases and handle cash, which earns them an hourly wage between $9.00 and $12.00.
- Clerk – Publix has a variety of clerk positions available for each department. Whether working in the bakery, the deli or the flower shop, these workers fill and package orders, arrange displays and keep track of inventory. These employees can make up to $15.00 an hour.