At What Age Does Starbucks Hire?
Usually 16 to Start
Exceptional benefits, great training, and generous discounts make the ever-expanding Starbucks Corporation an attractive choice for people seeking entry-level employment. Though the coffeehouse generally prefers workers to be at least 16 years old, some locations allow minors as young as 14 to join the Starbucks family. Underage associates may need to work limited hours and hold special work permits depending on the child labor laws in their state. Successful candidates will receive a job offer within a few days of their interviews. Once they begin, they will earn an hourly pay rate that is slightly above minimum wage, as well as weekly tips based on the amount of hours they work.
Most entry-level store positions at Starbucks forgo requirements for formal education certifications or previous experience. However, some locations may prefer to hire workers with high school diplomas or GEDs Aspiring workers should possess customer service aptitude as well as the ability to stand on foot for long periods of time and lift up to 40 pounds.
Available Entry-Level Positions
- Barista– Upon hire, baristas attend several weeks of in-store training in order to learn how to create each menu item. Afterward, they will spend their shifts working either at the cash register or on bar making drinks. Cash register duties include greeting customers, taking drink orders, offering helpful suggestions, retrieving pastries or simple drink orders, and operating POS systems. When working on bar, baristas prepare hot and cold specialty drinks to the customer specifications. Baristas also wash dishes, perform cleaning duties, and ensure work areas remain stocked throughout shifts.
- Shift Supervisor– In most cases, the organization prefers to promote management from within and offers hard workers the opportunity to take on entry-level shift supervisor roles. Shift supervisors perform similar duties to baristas, as well as several added responsibilities. Their duties include opening and closing stores, placing weekly orders, training new workers, delegating tasks during shifts, and supervising other employees. Shift supervisors must also lead by example and demonstrate positive and customer-focused attitudes.
How Old Do I Have to Be to Work at Starbucks?:
- Does Starbucks Hire at 17?– Yes. Starbucks allows 17-year-olds to hold a variety of positions in their stores.
- Does Starbucks Hire at 16?– Yes. Sixteen-year-olds are eligible for hire at Starbucks.
- Does Starbucks Hire at 15?– Yes. Some Starbucks locations allow 15-year-olds to be baristas.
- Does Starbucks Hire at 14?– Yes. Minors as young as 14 can gain employment at Starbucks, provided they comply with state child labor guidelines on work permits and restricted hours.