Walmart operates about 12,000 locations across the United States. The retail chain offers various customer service positions to entry-level workers as well as managerial jobs to those with backgrounds in retail.
Facts About Working at Walmart
Minimum Age to Work at Walmart: At least 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Walmart?)
Walmart Hours of Operation: Each store is typically open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Available Positions at Walmart: Roles as an assistant manager, cashier, greeter, sales associate, stocker, or store manager may be available, but openings vary by store.
Walmart Job Opportunities
Continued expansion into new markets means this company often has a need for additional workers. Walmart consistently hires job seekers with little to no experience to fill open positions. Applicants should have excellent communication skills, pleasant personalities, and the ability to work flexible schedules.
Hopefuls can fill out application forms in stores or online through the company’s website. The retailer requires job seekers to be at least 16 years or older to apply. Walmart hires for full-time and part-time careers as well as temporary work during the holidays.
Does Walmart Hire Felons?
This retailer will hire felons, though supervisors consider the nature of the offense and the time since release before making a decision. The Walmart application does not include a section about past convictions. However, after the interview, the company performs a background check, so it’s best to be upfront with hiring managers.
Walmart Positions and Salary Information
Entry-level opportunities at Walmart vary from customer service roles to jobs that involve some manual labor. Pay rates for most associates start above minimum hourly wages and increase over time. The list below includes just a few of the many jobs available are listed below:
- Greeters communicate with shoppers entering and leaving stores.
- Workers usually start off by making $9.00 to $10.00 an hour.
- Employees are responsible for answering customer questions and directing them throughout stores.
- Read the Walmart greeter job description for specific details regarding the opportunity.
- Cashiers perform numerous tasks, such as greeting customers, scanning items, and bagging purchases.
- This entry-level job requires strong communication skills and teamwork.
- Cashiers typically start off at around $9.00 or $10.00 per hour.
- Browse the Walmart Cashier job description & interview for further details on the position.
- Sales associates typically help customers find products and keep displays organized.
- These workers also check prices, answer phones, and help customers in fitting rooms.
- Employees must be friendly, knowledgeable, and able to work various shifts.
- Sales associates make between $8.00 and $9.00 per hour.
- Look through the Walmart sales associate job description for more information.
- Beginning pay rates often start at $10.00 an hour.
- Employees must lift heavy objects and perform other manual labor.
- Duties include stocking products as well as loading and unloading trucks. Shifts are usually during the evening and sometimes overnight.
- Consult our Walmart stock associate job description to find out about available opportunities with this department store chain.
- Managers work in different departments overseeing staff on a daily basis.
- Duties include hiring new workers, scheduling shifts, and meeting sales expectations.
- Previous experience in the retail industry is usually a requirement for these roles.
- Entry-level workers can also advance to a manager position over time.
- Typical salaries for managers can range from $10.00 an hour for department supervisors to $50,000 a year for store managers.
- Learn more about hiring requirements and pay scales by accessing the Walmart manager job description.
How Do You Apply at Walmart?
Candidates can apply online or in stores. They should be prepared to answer questions relating to availability, contact information, and previous employment. While past experience is not mandatory for most jobs, having some related work history will help applicants stand out during the hiring processes.
How Do I Apply For a Job Online?
Those interested in a career with Walmart can find openings by visiting the company’s website. Job seekers may search by position title or location. In addition to store opportunities, the company also lists available roles at distribution centers, corporate offices, and Sam’s Club locations.
How Do I Check My Application Status at Walmart?
Once hopefuls have submitted the necessary information, Walmart encourages them to follow up with the store. Typically managers call or email prospects to schedule interviews. While contacting the company can be beneficial, turnaround is usually quick.
Benefits of Working for Walmart
Walmart offers their employees numerous work benefits. Depending on the positions, workers qualify for store discounts as well as a free membership at Sam’s Club. Additionally, staff members may receive healthcare coverage, 401(k) plans, life insurance, disability insurance, and sick/vacation time.
Additional Information about Walmart
Walmart also offers curbside pickup and delivery services for grocery items. Customers can make their selections online from the convenience of home. Orders over $35 of other products on Walmart.com will ship for free to most areas based on location while some purchases may be available for same day pickup in local stores.
Seasonal Job Openings
Every year, Walmart needs extra staff for their stores during the busy holiday shopping season. From mid-September to late January the chain may hire seasonal employees to help as stockers, sales associates, cashiers, customer service representatives, and greeters. On average, entry-level seasonal retail workers with Walmart earn starting pay between $7.25 and $9.00 an hour. Both seasonal and regular store associates may need to work multiple shifts or during nights, weekends, and possibly holidays due to extended store hours.
Walmart Neighborhood Markets
Smaller than the company’s Supercenters, these locations focus on offering affordable, fresh groceries. Each store also includes a pharmacy, health and beauty aids, and other household supplies. Walmart Neighborhood Market jobs are available at each new opening.
These sites also hire full-time, part-time, and seasonal workers. Potential employees can get a Walmart Neighborhood Market job application online to apply. They can also visit a hiring desk at a nearby store. Like other Walmart jobs, entry-level positions may grow into careers with a salary package and benefit options.