With decades of industry-leading expertise in less-than-truckload shipping, ABF Freight upholds a longstanding reputation of excellence and remains a successful, growing, and profitable company thanks to over 10,000 skilled and dedicated employees across North America.
Facts About Working at ABF Freight System
Minimum Age to Work at ABF Freight System: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at ABF Freight System?)
ABF Freight System Hours of Operation: Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Available Positions at ABF Freight System: Clerk/Secretary, Claims Adjuster, Customer Service Representative, Data Input Specialist, Supervisory Assistant, Operations Assistant, Fleet Maintenance Supervisor, Mechanic/Serviceman, Account Manager, Inside Sales Representative, Terminal Manager, Checker Casual (Dock), Checker Regular (Dock), Checker/Driver Causal, Checker/Driver Regular, Pilot, Road Driver, Road Driver Casual, Office Manager, Office Systems Specialist, Operations Manager, Transportation Analyst, Line Haul Supervisor, Line Relay Manager, Marketing Coordinator, Management Trainee
ABF Freight System Employment Opportunities
Hardworking associates at ABF Freight consistently earn the company recognition for best-in-class performance, productivity, innovation, security, and safety, with 99% of shipments arriving on time, damage-free. The transportation firm continues to expand rapidly and hires new associates to serve customers, safely handle precise transportation of important shipments, and provide logistics solutions. Passionate and driven individuals may find rewarding careers providing unique services, such as securely shipping high-value items, coordinating and hauling large mechanical or industrial objects on flatbeds, LTL freight pickup and delivery, providing high levels of detailed personal service in residential or specialized deliveries, and conducting time-critical shipments which stand by a 100% guarantee.
In order to fully support a reliable and affordable national transportation business, the company must hire workers to manage and oversee distribution center operations, conduct planning and logistics, provide personalized customer support, handle customer accounts, load, unload, and properly handle shipments at loading docks, and drive trucks on local delivery routes and across the country. Associates occasionally work overtime shifts, late nights, early morning, weekends, and holidays to make timely deliveries. Job benefits hinge on contracts negotiated with Teamsters unions, and potentially afford employees greater work/life balances and more equitable pay than other jobs in the trucking industry.
ABF Freight Jobs and Wages
Talented, driven employees remain needed as the trucking company expands operations throughout North America. Prospective associates seeking part-time jobs, entry-level positions, or full-time professional careers may apply for the following opportunities at ABF Freight:
- A casual, part-time position, dock worker requires prospective employees on as-needed bases, including evenings and weekends. Individuals at least 18 years of age with stable work records and good histories of following safety procedures may earn hourly wages near $14.00 an hour.
- Job duties include loading and unloading tractor trailers, using freight-handling equipment and machinery, such as pallet jacks and forklifts to safely move various types of cargo, preparing shipments for transit, and tracking shipment invoices by completing paperwork and using mobile technology.
- The functions of the job require workers to lift up to 100 pounds, coordinate effectively as members of teams, and demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Associates receive on-the-job training regarding equipment usage and maintenance as well as workplace safety policies.
- Road drivers work full-time picking up and delivering cargo trailers on long-distance trips to various destinations.
- Dedicated drivers ensure shipments arrive on time, damage-free, and upholding the excellent reputation of ABF Freight.
- Associates must adhere to safety standards and maintain clean driving records.
- Daily duties include attaching trailers, extended periods of long-distance driving, inspecting trailers and tractors, coordinating pickup and delivery of cargo, complying with federal and state driving laws, and communicating with distribution center workers.
- Staff must stand at least 21 years of age, possess Class-A commercial driver’s licenses with doubles, tankers, and hazmat endorsements, and hold one year of commercial driving experience.
- Qualified individuals earn salary options between $70,000 and $80,000 per year.
- The role of city driver stands available for prospective workers seeking full-time jobs in the transportation industry.
- City driver positions typically provide pay rates of $25.00 per hour along with the job benefits guaranteed by the Teamsters union.
- City drivers interact with clients on regular bases and play vital roles in upholding strong business relationships.
- Common job duties encompass picking up and delivering cargo along prescribed driving routes within close proximity of central distribution centers, utilizing freight equipment, such as pallet jacks, fork lifts, and dollies, to load and unload cargo from transportation vehicles, and communicating in professional and friendly manners with clients and fellow coworkers.
- Inexperienced drivers may stand eligible for training; however, candidates must possess Class-A commercial driver’s licenses with doubles, tankers, and hazmat endorsements, steady employment histories, and perfect driving records.
Tips For Applying
Candidates may apply to work at ABF Freight by joining the company talent network, which helps connect job seekers with career opportunities relevant to skills and interests. The network allows communication with the organization and the ability to store personal information and resumes. By completing profile on the talent network, prospective workers may easily apply online for multiple jobs. Individuals may also send in application through recruiters or in person at distribution centers. Depending on the jobs desired, candidates may undergo a series of three or more interviews with multiple recruiters and hiring managers.
Applying online through the company talent network provides an easy way to keep track of application updates and communicate via email to follow up with the company. Hiring processes generally take upwards of two to three weeks and consist of extensive background checks and multiple interviews, so candidates should not become discouraged if some time passes without any notification. Aspiring associates who apply through recruiters or in person may follow up by phone calls or emails to check application statuses. Candidates who receive rejections should bolster skills and resumes and re-apply for desired positions at later dates.
Job Benefits at ABF Freight
Employee benefits rely on contract negotiations with the Teamsters union and may vary between contract periods. Generally, eligible workers receive generous job benefits, such as:
- Guaranteed overtime after working eight hours a day
- Healthcare coverage with no employee-paid premiums on medical insurance
- Paid time off for sick leave
- Paid vacation
- Life insurance
- Company-sponsored 401(k) retirement plans
- Pension plans, and profit-sharing programs with stock options.
Drivers enjoy spending most weekends off and more time home than any other jobs in the trucking industry. Associates also receive extensive on-the-job training, and the opportunity to advance careers in the transportation industry by working with a renowned and respected company.
More Information about ABF Freight
ABF Freight continually receives national recognition thanks to the efforts of the dedicated employees making the company one of the safest and most efficient trucking firms in the nation. In 2014, the transportation provider won several awards, including the Presidential Trophy for Safety for the seventh time, the Environmental Protection Agency Smartway Excellence Award, National LTL Carrier of the Year Award for the fourth time since 2010, and for the fifth-straight year ranking in the Training Magazine Top Training 125 list of companies with best employee development practices.