One of the largest retailers of aftermarket automotive parts in the country, Advance Auto Parts operates more than 5,000 stores and employs roughly 74,000 associates. To maintain successful operations at each location, the auto parts retailer must ensure stores remain properly staffed by hiring the right combination of entry-level workers and experienced managers.
Facts About Working at Advance Auto Parts
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Advance Auto Parts?)
Available Positions: Salesperson, Retail Parts Specialist, Local Area Warehouse Order Puller, Inventory Specialist, Installer, Assistant Manager, General Manager, Commercial Parts Specialist, District Manager, Commercial Delivery Driver
Advance Auto Parts Employment Opportunities
Advance Auto Parts stores fosters work environments built around dedication, honesty, integrity, and mutual trust. The automotive retail chain maintains a set of core values designed to facilitate the success of customers and employees alike. With additional emphasis on business growth and profitability, the retailer also hires new associates to fulfill the expansion goals of the chain. Company employees work at retail locations across the country as well as distribution centers and corporate offices. Each area of business operations offers employment opportunities in the form of entry-level jobs and professional careers.
Employees working at Advance Auto Parts stores often start out in entry-level positions like sales associate and retail parts pro. Although the positions feature entry-level job duties typical of the retail industry, the automotive chain prefers to hire workers already experienced in sales or auto parts. While prior experience remains merely preferred for entry-level job seekers, previously attained and related skills often serve as a major hiring requirements for management positions. Candidates pursuing careers in management also need to possess extensive knowledge of automotive systems in order to train store associates how to handle questions about car parts and repairs.
Advance Auto Parts Jobs and Salary Information
Job seekers 18 years of age or older may apply for Advance Auto Parts jobs. The retailer of car parts also restricts hiring to candidates with high school diplomas or the equivalent. Applicants fortunate enough to earn employment with the retail chain enjoy working for a company offering competitive pay, comprehensive job benefits, and multiple career paths featuring opportunities for advancement. Some of the most popular store positions include:
- Responsible for making sure each customer enjoys an exceptional shopping experience, sales associates remain highly visible throughout the store and perform a number of job duties essential to the success of the retail outlet.
- Workers ring up sales at cash registers, raise awareness of current promotions, and monitor inventory levels to ensure sales floors remain fully stocked at all times.
- Sales associates must develop and maintain knowledge of products available in store and work to achieve personal financial targets.
- Applicants capable of speaking and writing in Spanish as well as English often earn additional hiring consideration, depending on the store location.
- Pay rates for sales associates typically hover between $9.00 and $10.00 an hour and sometimes exceed $12.00 hourly.
Retail Parts Pro
- Retail parts pros work closely with management to ensure the success of the store.
- Daily job responsibilities range from diagnosing the car problems of customers and recommending appropriate products to managing the inventory of the parts department and performing cashiering, housekeeping, and stocking duties as needed.
- The job demands specialized knowledge enabling workers to diagnose problems with the brakes, engine, exhaust system, and suspension of an automobile.
- Retail parts pros generally earn about $11.00 or $12.00 per hour.
At each store, a general manager oversees retail operations with help from various assistant managers.
- The management team maintains responsibility for setting high standards of customer service and training entry-level employees to assist shoppers effectively.
- Managers also converse with customers regularly to share knowledge of auto parts and making DIY car repairs.
- Additional job duties include setting and accomplishing sales goals, supervising work shifts and delegating tasks to entry-level associates, planning and implementing attractive store layouts, ordering inventory and supplies, and making sure all workers observe company policies.
- Managers interview, hire, and schedule employees, as well.
- Advance Auto Parts strongly encourages candidates certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) to apply for managerial jobs.
- Assistant managers usually earn hourly pay ranging from $12.00 to $14.00, while general managers enjoy annual salary options of $45,000 or more.
Tips For Applying
From the Career Opportunities link at the bottom of the Advance Auto Parts website, job seekers may search and apply for available positions online. To apply for store jobs, candidates must click the Retail button on the webpage for Career Opportunities and then click the link for the type of position desired to gain access to the online application form. Before starting, applicants should prepare to provide social security numbers, valid email addresses, information for previous employment, references, and any relevant certifications. First-time users must also register with an email address and password to begin the online application process. When filling out the form, candidates should remember the auto parts retailer often gives the strongest hiring consideration to applicants with the ability to work an assortment of days, evenings, and weekends. In addition to sections for personal information, work history, and availability, the application includes an assessment to further evaluate fit for the job.
Upon receiving a submitted application, Advance Auto Parts sends a confirmation email containing information about the next steps in the hiring process. Applicants should use the information to determine whether follow-up contact proves necessary. If so, candidates may want to follow up in person rather than over the phone, as visiting the store personally often leads to a face-to-face meeting with the manager in charge of hiring. When meeting with a store manager, applicants should dress in professional manners, ask about the status of outstanding applications, demonstrate suitability for the job, and show genuine interest in working for the automotive retail chain.
Benefits of Working at Advance Auto Parts
Committed to enhancing and maintaining the total wellbeing of employees, Advance Auto Parts provides:
- Comprehensive job benefits program featuring numerous perks and amenities.
- Eligible workers enjoy healthcare plans with dental and vision benefits, life insurance, sick leave and vacation time, holiday pay, and scholarship programs for dependents.
- Financial benefits for qualified associates include 401(k) retirement plans, employee discounts, and company stock purchase plans.
- The auto parts retailer also offers a team member assistance program and various forms of employee recognition.
Additional Information on Advance Auto Parts
In addition to fulfilling the automotive needs of customers, Advance Auto Parts serves various organizations in local communities by donating time and money through the corporate giving program Advance Cares. The retail chain donates primarily to organizations focused on health, education, military and civilians in need, and disaster relief. Groups like United Way and the American Red Cross frequently benefit from the corporate giving of the auto parts retailer. The company invites all eligible organizations to apply for grants and other forms of support.