Popular clothing retailer American Eagle Outfitters serves as one of the most frequented fashion chains in the United States. In addition to U.S. locations, the clothing franchise holds an international presence through nearly 1,100 stores in 10 countries. The fashions sold by the international clothier also serve as draws for employment, as roughly 39,000 team members work for the company worldwide.
Facts About Working at American Eagle Outfitters
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at American Eagle Outfitters?)
Available Positions: Sale Associate, Stock Associate, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Job Opportunities at American Eagle Outfitters
Also referred to as AE, the fashion retailer stands most notable for trendy, youthful styles of clothing sold predominantly in shopping malls, by catalog, or online. Mall-based locations serve as the best options for applicants in search of retail jobs with American Eagle. Stores continually hire on help to provide customer service, stock, and manage each location in addition to seasonal hiring, which regularly occurs around the holidays. Job seekers may also find opportunities for careers in the company corporate offices in Pittsburgh, PA.
The average American Eagle employee works part-time. Full-time opportunities remain available for motivated individuals, as well; however, the retailer usually reserves full schedules for workers who prove work ethics and reliability on the job. Managers also work full-time but must also prove value through work performance and merit. Individuals most readily find jobs as cashiers, sales associates, and visual merchandisers. Managerial roles include lead associate, assistant manager, and store manager job titles.
American Eagle Positions and Pay Scales
The retail chain uses a minimum hiring age of 18 as base qualification to gain employment. Additional hiring requirements vary by position. Overall, candidate must exhibit fashion sense and personable qualities. The following list provides detailed breakdowns of available American Eagle jobs:
Job Description and Duties
- Generally in part-time positions, American Eagle Outfitters greeters meet and greet customers at store locations.
- The position requires associates to work on foot for long periods of time, especially during busy hours or holiday rushes.
- Often, greeters share various job duties with sales associates, such as operating cash registers and answering questions about products and merchandise.
- American Eagle typically hires fashionable, knowledgeable, and friendly individuals for greeter jobs.
- Training for the position involves both verbal and visual demonstration lasting no more than a week, in most cases.
Salary and Compensation
- Starting pay for American Eagle Outfitters greeters often falls around minimum wage.
- Experience or advancement into a sales or managerial position generally leads to an increase in pay.
- Most American Eagle greeters work part-time hours, or roughly 15 to 30 hours per week.
- Some stores may offer full-time greeter jobs, but the position generally offers part-time employment status.
- Applicants looking for AE sales associate jobs generally need no real experience for employment consideration.
- Hiring personnel screen candidates for abilities in interpersonal communications, teamwork, reliability, and efficiency.
- Previous retail experience, specifically in a fashion-oriented environment, may aid prospective workers in the hiring process.
- Primary tasks include folding clothes, arranging shelves, greeting customers, changing out inventories, operating cash registers, assisting in opening/closing procedures, and providing access to fitting rooms.
- Sales associates also protect against theft. Sales associates usually earn minimum wage and move into hourly pay scales in excess of $10.00 or $11.00 with experience.
- Read more about the Sales Associate job position including interviews with former sales associates.
A typical stock associate starts out at minimum wage and holds the responsibility of unloading shipments, organizing backroom storage areas, and assisting visual merchandisers in rearranging store layouts and building displays. The position often involves heavy lifting and the potential use of dollies and/or forklifts. Applicants must stand in good health and possess the ability to lift more than 50lbs. comfortably and with regularity. Strong organizational skills and self-motivated attitudes also assist in hiring decisions.
Job Description and Duties
- American Eagle Outfitters offers fashionable employment opportunities at all career levels.
- The clothing retailer remains popular among entry-level job seekers and frequently hires more experienced workers for managerial positions.
- Managers at American Eagle utilize results-oriented leadership skills to develop productive employees and maintain profitable stores.
- Primary responsibilities include recruiting, hiring, evaluating, and retaining entry-level talent.
- Store managers also create employee work schedules, process payroll, implement promotional strategies, and execute business plans.
- Additional duties entail resolving consumer complaints and delegating jobs among associates to ensure storewide customer satisfaction.
- Prospective American Eagle managers undergo a selective hiring process featuring several qualifications and formal education requirements.
- Management positions require applicants to have a high school diploma, with preference given to candidates also holding a relevant Bachelor’s degree.
- Multiple years of previous retail management experience also prove necessary.
- The most qualified applicants should demonstrate exceptional analytical, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Hiring managers also value the abilities to lead in a fast-paced environment, work as part of a team, and commit to a flexible full-time schedule.
Salary and Compensation
- Managers at American Eagle earn annual salary options generally ranging from $30,000 to $50,000 depending on experience and store location.
- In addition to competitive pay scales, qualified employees enjoy access to benefits like medical coverage, disability insurance, and 401(k) retirement plans.
- American Eagle also offers paid time off and employee discounts to eligible workers.
Tips For Applying
The easiest way to find job vacancies at AE stores consists of going online and visiting the company careers page. The website offers an expansive job portal, which lists availabilities and provides access to the online application. Workers may also choose to visit a local American Eagle store and fill out an application in person. Choosing to submit hiring forms in person may result in additional consideration, as managers may take the act as a sign of initiative. Write out all information necessary in legible fashion using an easy-to-read color of pen. Submit only honest and truthful answers. Misrepresentation in the application may result in expulsion from viable candidate pools. Highlighting relevant experience on the hiring forms greatly benefits prospective workers. Individuals with managerial or other employee connections may call upon referrals to aid in job searches, as well.
Motivated individuals interested in checking on employment status after submitting the necessary hiring forms and participating in the interview process may do so either by telephone or in person. Most hiring decisions happen on the spot during final job interviews. In cases where applicants do not receive job offers immediately, workers may pay managers visits in store to inquire and follow up about employment or call hiring personnel to ask similar questions about hiring status. The retail chain usually makes decisions within a week or two. Applicants who do not receive jobs may remain on file for further review as hiring needs arise in the future.
Benefits of Working at American Eagle
American Eagle Outfitters helps employees plan for the future and offers eligible workers 401(k) retirement plans. Qualified associates may also take advantage of employee stock purchase plans and profit sharing programs. Health and wellness benefits include paid holidays, paid vacation, and sick leave. AE also offers many other job benefits and extends a generous discount to all qualified store associates.
Seasonal Job Openings
Starting in September, American Eagle stores review application forms and interview candidates for a number of seasonal jobs. The fashion retailer must hire seasonal sales associates to provide prompt, helpful customer assistance. Sales associates engage customers, answer questions, provide product knowledge, open fitting rooms, and maintain a clean store environment. American Eagle also hires seasonal stock associates during the holidays. Key responsibilities for a seasonal stock associate include unloading deliveries and replenishing merchandise on the sales floor. Seasonal sales associates typically earn starting pay between minimum wage and $10.00 an hour. Seasonal stock associates pay rates may range from $8.00 to $12.00 per hour.
More Information on American Eagle Outfitters
The growing global company places heavy emphasis on international stewardship. In recent years, American Eagle aligned with several, strict policies governing respect to human rights, corporate ethics, and codes of conduct with vendors. The retail chain created various levels of checks and balances within the company to assert the stances on ethical treatment of employees, vendors, and customers as well as the ethical sourcing of materials. AE maintains an audit committee, which may at any time probe into the actions of any aspect of business, from the retail level on up through the highest corporate offices.