Babies R Us operates as part of the Toys R Us umbrella of companies consisting of more than 1,500 stores worldwide. The offshoot chain comprises roughly 250 locations of the large, retail network and looks to hire staff as the brand broadens across the country.
Facts About Working at Babies R Us
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Babies R Us?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Assembler, Store Receiving Specialist, Pricing and Signage Team Member, Back of House Specialist, Maintenance Team Member, Housekeeping Team Member, Off Hours Stock Clerk, Asset Protection Specialist, Customer Service Representative, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, Risk Management Support Representative, Human Resources Supervisor, Sales Team Member, Department Supervisor
Job Opportunities at Babies R Us
Since main concept of the retail chain involves the sale of clothing and other accessories for toddlers and young children, applicants must enjoy working with kids in order to gain employment. Babies R Us consistently hires individuals who demonstrate professional attitudes and appropriate behavior around children. Job hopefuls must also showcase sales and customer service skills. Product and brand knowledge may also prove beneficial for hiring, as well as previous experience working in the retail industry; however, most entry-level jobs available with the retail chain only require applicants to meet minimum employment ages.
Fun, playful, and energetic individuals represent the types of candidates Babies R Us prefers to hire. During the hiring process, the retail chain often makes use of roleplaying to see how applicants might respond in potential job settings. Exceptionally suitable individuals may qualify for available managerial careers. The retail offshoot offers several career paths for motivated professionals, including department supervisor, assistant manager, and store manager job opportunities. Each position requires at least some background in retail, with concentration in retail sales for baby products even more desirable.
Babies R Us Employment and Pay Scales
To gain access to available jobs, applicants must stand at least 18 years of age. Employment hunters may choose from a wide variety of part-time and full-time positions featuring generous pay and flexible hours. Job benefits packages, which often include insurance options and discounts on merchandise, also stand readily available for qualified individuals. The most common Babies R Us jobs for hire include:
- Primary functions of Babies R Us sales associates include greeting customers, directing patrons to desired merchandise, and answering questions about company policies on pricing, returns, refunds, and exchanges.
- Sales associates need excellent memorization and interpersonal skills in order to effectively carry out day-to-day functions.
- Cheerful, attentive, and courteous individuals make ideal sales associate candidates.
- Workers may need some physical agility and stamina to stock shelves and move product palettes as needed.
- The retailer starts new-hire sales associates out at minimum wage in most cases, with experienced or tenured employees earning as much as $10.00 per hour.
- Babies R Us cashiers work the frontend and carry out transactions in assigned checkout aisles.
- Processing payments on computerized POS machines and issuing receipts and change prove primary functions of the position.
- Additional job duties may involve exchanging, refunding, or accepting returns on merchandise.
- Cashier jobs usually yield minimum wage starting pay.
- Hourly rates may exceed $10.00 with experience.
- Efficiency in work abilities and dedication rank highly among desirable traits the retail chain screens for during the hiring process.
- Applicants must show the propensity to remain courteous and professional at all times.
- The position also requires workers to possess minor physical abilities to perform tasks like lifting 20 to 30 pounds at a time or consistently bending or stooping to replace products.
- Specific career opportunities available through Babies R Us include department supervisor and store manager.
- Department supervisors work as both designated section managers and assistant store managers.
- Job duties primarily center on supervising entry-level workers and delegating daily tasks in addition to tracking sales and reporting inventory to store managers.
- Hiring, training, and scheduling employees also factors into daily routines of department managers.
- Store managers typically undertake more administrative responsibilities at each location.
- Coordinating product shipments, enforcing company protocol, and ensuring customer satisfaction remain priority for store managers.
- Applicants must typically hold high school diplomas and at least some previous experience in retail.
- Department supervisors may only need a year or two of previous and related experience, while store managers must hold a minimum of five years in the industry for employment consideration.
- Store managers must also possess bachelor’s degrees from accredited colleges.
- The average department supervisor earns between $12.00 and $14.00 an hour.
- Store managers receive annual salary options, with pay scales topping out around $60,000.
Tips For Applying
Familiarity with children and babies probably represents the most fundamental requirement of receiving hiring consideration. Applicants with histories as nannies or caregivers may exceed expectations of hiring personnel during the recruitment process. When filling out employment forms, mark any relevant experience in the spaces provided to ensure recruitment staff know of any related interests. Regardless of experience, complete the application to the best of known abilities. Use legible handwriting and blue or black ink if completing the forms longhand, and review the online application before submission if submitting the forms electronically.
After submitting the necessary hiring forms to the appropriate personnel, applicants attend group interviews to determine eligibility for available positions. Following the group session, Babies R Us deliberates over candidates and then calls successful applicants to extend job offers. The process takes between one and two weeks. A brief lapse may occur between the group interview and the call to offer a job to a deserving worker. Applicants may choose to call or email the corresponding hiring manager at a desired location in order to check on the status of submitted applications during the lapse. Motivated individuals may even visit locations in person; however, candidates should wear work-appropriate clothing when doing so to continue displaying strong, professional interests and attitudes toward working for the retailer.
Benefits of Working at Babies R Us
Parent company Toys R Us oversees and administers job benefits packages to eligible candidates working for both retail divisions. Babies R Us employees enjoy flexible scheduling, competitive pay scales, and complimentary uniforms and nametags. Workers also take advantage of paid training programs and career development programs designed to assist motivated associates in gaining industry-centric skills for future endeavors. Further incentives, such as:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and
- Disability insurance options and employee assistance programs
- Also remain available to individuals who meet certain criterion.
More Information on Babies R Us
As a retail chain specifically tailored to the needs of new and expecting parents, Babies R Us offers soon-to-be families special discounts and care packages. Patrons may register in store for regular promotions offered exclusively to expecting couples. To further cater to expectant families, the retail chain regularly provides pregnant women with prime parking spaces, which the retailer refers to as “Stork Parking”, and maintains special care rooms at each location for parents who need to attend to personal matters, like changing diapers or feeding infants and toddlers.
Seasonal Job Openings
In 2010, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, and other Toy R US affiliates hired an additional 45,000 seasonal workers to assist with holiday shopping crowds. Babies R Us typically begins hiring seasonal employees in late September and continues hiring throughout October. Every year, Babies R Us hires a large number of seasonal store associates to help provide customer service. Seasonal store associate job responsibilities involve from ringing up purchases, handling returns, and answering questions about merchandise and policy. Starting base pay for Babies R Us seasonal employees falls around minimum wage, in most cases. Varying from state to state, minimum wage generally stands between $7.00 and $9.00 per hour. Some Babies R Us locations may need managers to help out during the holiday season. Managerial applicants typically earn starting hourly wages between $9.00 and $11.00. Seasonal salary options vary by store location.