A renowned luxury specialty retailer, Barneys New York operates 25 stores and outlets across the United States. Popularity of the well-known brand facilitates the need for part-time and full-time workers across the country in entry-level and professional roles alike.
Facts About Working at Barneys New York
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Barneys New York?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Cashier, Merchandise Handler, Key Holder, Stock Room Associate, Assistant Store Manager, General Store Manager, HRIS Administrator, Web Customer Service Representative, Loss Prevention Associate, Web Developer, Buyer, Graphic Designer, Digital Marketing Manager, Merchandise Planner, E-Commerce Copywriter, Marketing Manager, Shipping and Receiving Associate, Project Manager, Web Photographer, Visual Merchandiser, Production Artist, Videographer, Account Manager
Barneys New York Job Opportunities
An iconic destination for fashion connoisseurs since 1923, Barneys New York offers items of extravagance from renowned designers. The emporium features high-end labels as well as a company brand of merchandise ranging from clothing, bags, and shoes to jewelry, fragrances, housewares, and cosmetics. Influxes of consumers to each location pay reasonable amounts for high-quality products, which further spurs growth, popularity, and employment opportunities. Each flagship store features an attached third-party restaurant creating added jobs for entry-level workers. Job seekers eager to assist customers with staying trendy and fashionable may readily find employment opportunities as the franchise expands.
Barneys New York provides customers the quality merchandise, services, and innovative associates. Employees advocate various product lines through personal use and representation. Workers learn and expand upon creative selling techniques based on consumer preferences. The brand mission statement proclaims personal attention to every detail for each shopper, which leans on brand loyalty and customer retention as main priorities. Comprehensive sales training across multiple departments ensures the best shopping experiences possible. Employment hopefuls seeking work must adhere to the brand image in order to gain consideration.
Barneys New York Employment and Wages Information
Barneys New York hires outgoing and dynamic individuals with exceptional customer service skills and appreciation of quality merchandise. Candidates with established clientele gain preference first; however, experience in specialty retail or equivalent degrees in marketing or business prove valuable, as well. Individuals must also possess the ability to multitask in fast-paced retail environments. Applicants 18 or older may find fulfilling careers in the underlying jobs:
- Ambitious and skilled applicants seeking entry-level positions should consider becoming sales associates.
- Each new-hire must maintain a personable disposition and outstanding sales skills to find success.
- Sought-after individuals display driven attitudes and retain product knowledge easily and without effort.
- As customer-centric positions, sales associate jobs require good communication skills in advising and suggesting products and services.
- Sales associates earn base hourly wages of $9.00 quickly increasing to $17.00 an hour with commission bonuses.
- Department managers navigate a majority of in-store responsibilities.
- Overseeing specific departments, managers maintain aisle stock levels and order supplies per demand on a timely basis.
- Department heads also evaluate the performances of sales associates and develop action plans for improvements in both sales projections and customer concerns.
- Additional duties include organizing initial job training and cross training to achieve department objectives and goals.
- Salary options range from $75,000 to $100,000 annually, dependent on departmental success.
Tips For Applying
Interested individuals may apply online or fill out application forms in store. Applicants should reference current employees on hiring paperwork, if applicable. Prospective employees able to recognize and effectively sell well-known fragrances and product lines often leave lasting impressions with recruitment personnel. Marking open availability for nights and weekends bolsters the likelihood of hire, as well.
Managers usually reach out to promising applicants within a couple of weeks to schedule interviews. Successful candidates must dress accordingly during interviews and follow-up efforts. Visiting in store to check application status proves valuable to form relationships with management prior to hire. Phone calls and emails also improve the odds of gaining employment. Regardless of follow-up method, candidates should demonstrate gratitude and respect the busy schedules of managers. Wait at least a day or two before following up to avoid burdening potential supervisors.
Benefits of Working for Barneys New York
On top of competitive compensation, Barneys New York provides workers with generous discounts. Employees enjoy flexible schedules, celebrity appearances, and sociable atmospheres.
Full-time associates may also accrue job benefit packages, including:
- Paid time off
- Paid vacation, and 401(k) retirement plans
- As well as healthcare coverage and medical insurance.
Work benefits often increase with seniority and tenure.
Extra Information on Barneys New York
In 2010, Barneys New York featured “Have a Foodie Holiday” in partnership with Food Network and the Cooking Channel. Inspired by the passion and creativity of foodie culture, the displays at the Madison Avenue headquarters featured caricatures of famous chefs including Bobby Flay, Lidia Bastianich, Paula Deen, Rachael Ray, Jamie Oliver, and the company chef Mark Strausman.
Paintings for auction of chefs by students from The East Harlem School also hung along the walls. Each piece of art sold benefitted the school with 100 percent of the proceeds. “Have a Foodie Holiday” also benefitted the Food Bank For New York City with donations.