As the largest privately owned department store chain in the country, Belk maintains an ongoing listing of jobs available to individuals seeking employment with an established retailer. The successful chain of department stores hires job seekers with various amounts of work experience to serve as sales associates focused on customer service and managers involved with making business decisions.
Facts About Working at Belk
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Belk?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Stock Associate, Sales Associate, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Belk Job Opportunities
Store associate jobs often make ideal employment opportunities for entry-level candidates lacking significant work experience. Workers seeking part-time employment or supplemental jobs frequently pursue store associate positions, as well. Generally simple to obtain, the entry-level jobs feature minimal hiring requirements beyond age restrictions. As store associates, employees typically work on the sales floor of a particular department or in the stockroom to handle the processing of inventory. Regardless of job title, all entry-level workers must demonstrate commitment to relentless customer care.
While customer care also forms an integral part of managerial jobs, managers focus heavily on the business side of running a department store. In order to work as a manager at Belk, applicants must possess four-year college degrees and previous retail management experience. Prospective employees also need to have experience in hiring and supervising entry-level workers, as managers frequently recruit new crew members and oversee work shifts. Management career opportunities, while requiring candidates to meet several qualifications, also feature the potential for lucrative salary options and comprehensive employment benefits.
Belk Positions and Salary Information
The majority of Belk jobs maintain a minimum hiring age of 18 years. For certain entry-level positions, applicants may qualify for employment immediately prior to senior years of high school, regardless of actual age. The Southern chain of department stores offers part-time jobs as well as full-time careers and prefers to hire workers with flexible schedules. Job seekers may apply online for positions such as:
Job Description and Duties
- As a department store, Belk needs to hire sales associates to provide customer service and assistance at store locations.
- Primary job duties for the entry-level position may include answering questions about merchandise, sales, and services, retrieving items from shelves and back storage areas, and operating cash registers as needed.
- Work environments often include busy and fast-paced sales floors.
- Associates work directly with the public and communicate face-to-face on a regular basis.
- The Belk hiring process typically favors sales associate applicants with flexible work schedules, friendly personalities, and sound communication skills.
- Brand knowledge may also benefit workers vying for Belk sales associate jobs.
- No real previous work requirements prove necessary for employment consideration.
- Applicants must stand at least 18 at time of hire.
Salary and Compensation
- The average Belk sales associate enjoys competitive base pay and increases based on performance and time spent with the company.
- Starting pay typically falls around minimum wage.
- Pay may increase up to $10.00 or $11.00 per hour.
- Advancement into supervisory roles and careers in management offer increased pay scales and access to work benefits packages.
- Belk employees often receive discounts on merchandise.
- Career opportunities consistently yield between $25,000 and $60,000 annual salary.
Operations Team Associate / Stock Clerk
Job Description and Duties
- Commonly known as stock clerks, operations team associates seldom perform selling duties and instead focus on receiving and processing merchandise.
- The position of Belk stock associates carries several manual labor-related responsibilities.
- Applicants in search of stock associate jobs with Belk should stand in good health prior to participating in the hiring process.
- Workers may need to comfortably lift up to 75lbs. during shifts.
- Job duties range from unloading and loading shipments from delivery trucks to stocking shelves, organizing and building displays, and assisting other Belk entry-level employees as needed.
- Belk imposes minimum age requirements and hires workers 18 and over for stock clerk jobs.
- While not required, previous experience working stock may prove advantageous during the Belk hiring process.
Salary and Compensation
- Stock clerks earn roughly the same hourly wages as sales associates at Belk stores.
- To start, Belk stock clerks receive minimum wage pay, depending on previous job experience.
- With proven work performance, Belk stock clerks may earn as much as $11.00 per hour.
- The position also serves as an ideal platform for careers in management and supervision.
- Motivated employees may work into roles featuring annual salary options and access to employment benefits packages.
- The retailer generally offers storewide discounts to entry-level associates in some capacity.
- New stores often hire hundreds of entry-level workers to maintain operations and provide customer service.
- As the brand name and industry continue to grow, Belk stock clerk job seekers should find growing numbers of job opportunities.
Job Description and Duties
- Managerial opportunities available at Belk department stores include department manager and store manager job titles.
- Minimum hiring age for employment consideration as manager falls at 18 years old.
- Workers must hold some previous experience in retail or management in order to gain hiring consideration.
- Strong delegation, motivational, organizational, and communication skills also serve as necessary requirements for employment.
- Job responsibilities include hiring, training, scheduling, and motivating entry-level workers.
- Belk managers also oversee inventory shipments, both incoming and outgoing, and assign daily jobs.
- The position may also include some regular clerical work.
Salary and Compensation
- Salary options for managers vary by experience and time spent with the company.
- Most Belk department managers start out earning $25,000 to $30,000 annual salary.
- Experienced department managers may make in excess of $40,000 a year.
- Store managers earn significantly higher salary options around $50,000 per year upon hire.
- In addition to competitive pay, full-time managers gain access to work benefits packages.
- Typical employee benefits available include paid time off, healthcare insurance, 401(k) retirement plans, and career growth opportunities.
Tips For Applying
Job seekers interested in working at a Belk department store may apply for available employment opportunities online through the company website. Applicants need a current resume on hand, as the application process finishes only by uploading or copying and pasting a resume in the space provided. Once submitted, the resume also enables potential employees to quickly and easily apply for any other job listed on the site. The department store chain conveniently allows candidates to apply by extracting relevant information from personal profiles on select social media platforms, as well. Job seekers with resumes already completed generally complete the application process most efficiently.
Belk typically sends candidates a standard confirmation email upon receipt of each online application. Applicants looking for further confirmation and wanting to demonstrate initiative may call or visit the appropriate store location and ask to speak with the manager in charge of hiring. Job seekers should use the direct, in-store follow-up strategically and avoid inundating the store with constant phone calls or visits. Appropriate follow-up contact should occur no sooner than a week after applying for the job. In addition to following up tactfully, prospective workers may sign up online to specify types of jobs and receive alerts automatically when that specific kind of position becomes available.
Benefits of Working at Belk
As one of the largest regional department store chains in the country, Belk offers comprehensive employment benefits to eligible workers. Qualified employees take advantage of job benefits like:
- Medical coverage
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, and sick leave
Depending on employment status and other factors, workers may also gain access to merchandise discounts and employee assistance programs. Additionally, associates may opt to pursue career advancement opportunities and participate in initiatives like the sales team manager development program, accelerated leadership program, and store manager development program.
Additional Information on Belk
Founded in North Carolina in 1888, Belk continues to maintain roots firmly entrenched in the South. The department store chain remains committed to providing traditional Southern hospitality to customers and also takes an active role in improving local communities throughout the region. Focusing primarily on breast cancer research and education initiatives, the family-owned company contributes generously to local charities by donating both money and volunteer time. The Southern retail chain also demonstrates commitment to the environment by implementing a companywide recycling program, more sustainable methods of constructing stores, and solar energy usage at store locations and at corporate offices in Charlotte, NC.
I already did interview 1,2 and 3 at Dallas Galleria all I have to do is make an application online
JANET L. ZIGLEAR says:
Worked at the Belk store in Aiken mall. I then transfered to the store in North Augusta. I worked in Women Accesories and Fine Jewerly at Aiken store. I worked in childrens clothing at North Augusta Store.
I enjoyed the comradery and the customers. Selling their merchandice was easy due to quality. I was willing to assist anyone of my associates.
Claudia H Conrad says:
I started my work career at Belk in Gastonia, N.C. when I was 16 yrs. old. I was a Sophomore in high school and worked with Belk until I was 21. My experience with this company was great. Belk hires associates that will be compatible with the employees and most importantly the customers. It is a wonderful place to start your work experience.