With over 4,000 locations in 80 different countries, Best Western consistently needs to add employees to fill a vast array of positions. Whether searching for supplemental income in an entry-level capacity or a full-time career in the hotel industry, interested applicants need only to apply via the company job portal.
Facts About Working at Best Western
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Best Western?)
Available Positions: Housekeeper, Valet, Front Desk Agent, Laundry Attendant, Manager
Best Western Job Opportunities
Best Western operates as a non-profit marketing co-operative, which means each franchisee acts and votes as a member of a larger membership association. Though a franchised business in name, the hotel chain operates as a collective whole and provides a streamlined and straightforward application process. Individuals interested in entry-level employment may find jobs as housekeepers, front desk agents, maintenance workers, guest service agents, and even as servers and cooks in locations with accommodating services. Employees must consistently exhibit schedule flexibility, as the hotel operates throughout the evenings as well as weekends.
The popular hotel continually seeks to fill supervisory roles in each location. Applicants with prior experience with managing large teams of employees, especially in the hospitality industry, should pursue opportunities with the large hotel chain. Managers take responsibility for a variety of roles in the hotel setting, including supervising employees in different departments, ensuring guest comfort, and maintaining corporate standards at every turn. Employees in supervisory roles often work long hours and should maintain schedule flexibility to successfully perform tasks at any given time.
Best Western Positions and Salary Information
Employees wishing to apply with the hotel franchise need to stand at least 18. Prior hospitality experience remains preferred, though most entry-level positions require little-to-no hiring restrictions, save a high school diploma or an equivalent. Readily available positions include:
- Housekeepers clean and prepare guest rooms and common areas in accordance to company and public health standards.
- Typical duties include cleaning windows, doors, hallways, bathrooms, and other public areas.
- Employees also replace towels, soaps, room amenities, and bed linens.
- Keeping a friendly, cheerful, and courteous demeanor at all times remains a must.
- Housekeepers typically earn minimum wage starting out with wages increasing over time.
Front Desk Agent
- Front desk agents act as the face of the hotel chain and assist guests with each stage of the hotel experience.
- Employees register guests, assign rooms, accommodate special requests, and ensure smooth checkout and overall pleasant stays.
- Associates must possess working knowledge of room locations, types, and rates at all times as well as the use of persuasive selling techniques to sell rooms and services.
- Staff members should also maintain customer privacy, comprehend daily activity and meeting schedules, and resolve guest complaints in a timely and courteous manner.
- Front desk agents generally earn between $9.00 and $10.00 an hour.
Guest Services Agent
- Guest services agents act as concierges interacting with guests in order to provide the best possible hospitality experiences.
- Responsibilities include ensuring delivery of packages, mail, and messages to both guests and coworkers.
- Employees should possess familiarity with room rates and availability, as well as knowledge of hotel services, facilities, hours of operation, and any inquiry regarding restaurants, entertainment, and transportation options.
- Guest service agents make an hourly wage between $8.00 and $9.00.
- The hotel franchise divides management duties between general managers, assistant general managers, and direct supervisors over each department.
- Managers retain responsibility for each department operation, training, scheduling, and inter-department communications.
- Department managers must also oversee expenses, daily reports, and handle guest complaints.
- Assistant general managers and general managers need to ensure optimal guest satisfaction, implement marketing plans, and balance costs with profitability.
- Managers should possess at least three years of experience within the hotel industry.
- Department heads generally earn between $11.00 and $12.00 an hour, while assistant general managers may earn up to $50,000 in annual salary.
- General managers, depending on hotel location, tenure, and experience, may earn in excess of $90,000 a year.
Tips for Applying
When applying online, candidates should provide accurate information for each step, as incorrect or misprinted materials may lead to disqualification. The online form allows applicants to attach resumes and cover letters, as well. Remain concise with the information shared, as long-winded and overreaching letters may dissuade contact for interviews. Candidates may also apply for positions with a paper application at a location of choice.
Hiring personnel may take up to two or three weeks to review hiring materials, depending on the volume of applications for similar positions received. Allow managers ample time to review hiring request forms before checking in on the status of applications. Follow up via telephone or in person if not contacted by a hiring manager within 14 to 21 days. If following up in person, remain conscious of hiring personnel job duties and try to arrive during non-peak check-in hours. If not certain of best practices, call first to assure the most conducive time to meet face to face with a manager in order to display genuine interest in earning an interview.
Best Western Benefits
The hotel franchise offers employees certain job benefits immediately upon hire. Employees enjoy flexible spending accounts, employee assistance plans, and enrollment in company 401(k) plans. Additional work benefits start after 90 days, including:
- Paid vacation time
- Sick days, and
- Paid holidays.
Eligible workers also receive disability insurance, prescription drug coverage, and even pet insurance.
More Information on Best Western
Guests looking to streamline the hotel booking process may now utilize the popular Google Wallet. Best Western now integrates Google Wallet with the Best Western To Go application on consumer smart phones. Users must create Google Wallet accounts in order to get started. Customers may now use one-click mobile booking at all of the hotels operating under the brand globally.