Hungry customers find classic American cuisine at more than 200 Big Boy eateries in the United States. Menu items like the double-decker hamburger and chili spaghetti continue to turn first-time patrons into regular customers. The steady demand for menu offerings allows the restaurant chain to provide a variety of traditional food service employment opportunities for industry professionals and entry-level job seekers alike.
Facts About Working at Big Boy
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Big Boy?)
Available Positions: Greeter, Server, Dishwasher, Line Cook, Shift Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Restaurant Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Big Boy Job Opportunities
First-time job seekers frequently find entry-level work at Big Boy restaurants. Young workers often earn valuable customer-service and food service industry experience with the hamburger joint. Workers seeking part-time employment with flexible scheduling frequently obtain basic serving, bussing, dishwashing, and cashier jobs at the restaurant. Entry-level positions do not typically call for previous experience, with applicants often hired on-the-spot when staffing needs arise. Job hopefuls should submit an application online or at a nearby location today.
Big Boy also hires on career-minded associates to fill managerial positions. Managers must understand each facet of restaurant operations in order to complete a multitude of daily tasks. Upper-level associates often work long hours at the restaurant, and the company rewards managers with competitive base pay and great benefits to compensate for the challenges of the career opportunity.
Big Boy Positions and Salary Information
The restaurant chain may require applicants to stand at least 16 years of age to earn hiring consideration for entry-level jobs. First-time workers often start out with basic job titles like busser and dishwasher before moving on to serving jobs, which typically require some experience in the food service industry. The restaurant chain may also require managerial associates to possess high school diplomas, valid driver’s licenses, and several years of management experience in a related field. Big Boy hires for the following positions with regularity:
- Job titles like busser and cashier best define crew member positions at Big Boy.
- The most entry-level in concept, crew member jobs involve interacting with customers and maintaining restaurant appearances.
- Busser tasks remain clearing and cleaning tables in preparation for new patrons.
- Cashiers must kindly greet and seat customers upon arrival as well as keep foyer areas looking tidy and welcoming.
- Crew member pay typically starts out at minimum wage and may increase to $8.00 per hour over time.
- Following the seating of new guests, servers take drink and food orders.
- Servers ensure guests receive consistent check-ins, refills, and other niceties during Big Boy visits.
- Associates must possess great interpersonal skills and maintain the ability to move quickly and work on foot for long periods of time.
- Servers must also possess well-rounded knowledge of menu items and daily specials in order to give helpful suggestions to patrons.
- Entry-level servers typically make between $3.00 and $5.00 per hour and earn additional income via gratuity.
- The Big Boy management team typically features tiers of positions.
- At the lower end of management, shift supervisors oversee floor workers and ensure the smooth implementation of basic restaurant procedures.
- Supervisors often make between $8.00 and $9.00 per hour.
- Assistant managers and general managers direct restaurant operations and see to the overall success of each location.
- Duties often include hiring, training, scheduling, taking inventory and ordering supplies, loss prevention, quality assurance, and customer interaction.
- Assistant manager salary options hover between $30,000 and $40,000 annually, while general managers make $50,000 to $70,000.
Tips For Applying
The highly franchised Big Boy restaurant chain uses fairly uniform methods of screening for new employees. Historically, applicants visit locations and inquire about employment opportunities onsite and then fill out hiring forms online or pick up physical copies to complete by hand. Workers should mention abilities related to positions desired on the forms. The most widely available jobs for hire, such as server and hosting opportunities, feature customer service-based responsibilities. Individuals able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and personable attitudes often garner extra attention from management.
Most candidates call or visit locations to check on application statuses. In most cases, recruitment personnel reach out to prospective associates within a day or two. Telephoning managers after submitting hiring forms communicates drive and motivation, while visiting Big Boy restaurants personally affords workers chances to demonstrate non-verbal communication skills and energy. The hiring process typically concludes within a week of handing over required employment materials. Additional wait times may occur for highly sought-after positions.
Benefits of Working at Big Boy
On top of flexible scheduling and weekly pay, entry-level associates enjoy employee benefits like:
- Medical insurance
- Paid vacation
- 401(k) retirement plans and qualified tuition plans
While upper-level associates work busier schedules and longer hours, managers enjoy higher pay, medical and dental plans, paid vacation, and comprehensive training in addition to benefits offered to entry-level employees. The restaurant chain endeavors to offer managers a five-day workweek in order to build good morale and promote healthy work-life balance, as well.
Additional Information on Big Boy
Big Boy offers branded merchandise on the main website for the most loyal of patrons. The well-known mascot appears on shirts, coffee mugs, coin banks, baby bibs, and gift cards. Customers may also purchase the famous sauces and seasoning spices used at the restaurant in order to emulate popular menu items at home.
Tracey Hodnett says:
Worked for Big Boy for 6 yrs.