Founded in 1962 by a handful of independent tire dealers, Big O Tires stands as one of the largest tire retailers in North America. With over 400 franchise locations in nearly 20 states, the tire retailer provides excellent part-time and full-time career opportunities.
Facts About Working at Big O Tires
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Big O Tires?)
Available Positions: Salesperson, Lube Technician, Service Technician, Alignment Technician, Tire Technician, Service Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Big O Tires Job Opportunities
Individuals interested in the automotive industry may find interesting and fulfilling jobs at Big O Tires. Many positions require hands-on work and technical knowhow to install tires, replace batteries, conduct oil changes, and perform other general automotive services. Retail locations provide fun work environments where employees interact with interesting customers and solve new and challenging problems on a daily basis. Specific store policies may differ among locations due to the preferences of franchise owners; however, most stores offer flexible work hours and a family-like atmosphere.
Prospective employees holding experience in customer service also remain in high demand. While automotive technicians perform many important duties, cashiers and salespeople represent the company and handle storefront tasks. Big O Tires needs knowledgeable people to anticipate customer needs while selling products and services in friendly manners. Associates who exhibit hard work ethics and determination find many opportunities to advance careers with the retailer.
Big O Tires Employment Outlook and Pay Scales
Working at Big O Tires often leads to very fulfilling careers in the automotive industry. Applicants standing at least 18 years of age may fill out an application form online or at any of the 400 franchised locations across the country. The automotive industry welcomes individuals willing to perform dirty jobs for honest pay, and Big O Tires proves no exception. Employees remain needed to fill the positions of lube technician, tire technician, salesperson, and cashier.
- Lube technicians work full-time or part-time and receive hourly wages around $11.00.
- Salary options usually increase with experience.
- Performing general vehicle maintenance on customer cars serves as the primary responsibility for lube technicians.
- Employees must possess great attention to detail and manual dexterity.
- Using hand tools and other automotive technology proves essential to completing daily tasks, such as oil changes, tire rotations, replacing headlights, and other services.
- The job requires associates to stand for long periods of time and lift heavy objects.
- Lube technicians without formal experience receive on-the-job training under direct supervision.
- Associates must feel comfortable dirtying hands and working hard.
- In addition to selling various types and brands of tires, Big O Tires employs skilled tire technicians to mount, install, and balance new tires on customer cars.
- In order to properly complete such tasks, associates must know how to operate vehicles of all classes, including manual and automatic transmissions, cars and trucks, and must possess valid driver’s licenses.
- High school diplomas or GEDs may stand required, though vocational training or technical experience may make up for any lack of formal education.
- Applicants must prove able to lift heavy tires to and from vehicles and stand for long periods.
- Employees follow safety guidelines and repair procedures in order to ensure proper completion of tire installations and other operations.
- Depending on individual levels of experience and training, tire technicians generally start at $11.00 an hour.
- Salespersons represent Big O Tires as the first points of contact with shoppers and hold the responsibility of developing and maintaining courteous and professional business relationships with customers.
- Sales associates must develop knowledge of all automotive products and services offered by the store in order to effectively fulfill customer demands.
- Such products include tires and wheels to fit many years, makes, and models of cars from Aston Martins to Volkswagens.
- Workers must become familiar with services offered such as oil changes, tire repair, brakes, alignment, front-end suspension, and battery replacement.
- Salespersons also stand responsible for encouraging customers to purchase store warranties on tires, services, and other products.
- Full-time or part-time workers in the position often earn a pay of $12.00 an hour.
- Cashiers handle point-of-sales transactions and attend to customer needs.
- Basic arithmetic skills prove essential to completing sales transactions.
- Providing excellent customer service remains the core function of cashiers.
- Depending on the duties required by specific franchise locations, cashiers may also handle returns on merchandise, stock shelves, order products, file daily and weekly reports, and maintain store cleanliness.
- Associates enjoy flexible schedules and friendly interactions with coworkers and customers.
- Workers commonly earn minimum wage as cashiers, which varies by state.
- On average, entry-level cashiers should expect anywhere from $8.00 to $11.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Prospective associates may apply online or in person at one of the many retail locations across the country. The hiring process when applying in-person may prove the faster way to obtain a job with Big O Tires, as managers at some franchised locations may stand willing to hire qualified candidates on the spot, or with only a short interview process. Applying online means filling out several web-based surveys with questions about availability, willingness to work holidays and weekend hours, previous experience, and the ability to fulfill essential job functions. After completing online job applications and submitting resumes, individuals must wait for email responses either declining offers or extending invitations to proceed with interviews at desired retail locations.
Depending on the methods candidates use to apply, individuals may know the statuses of applications within a few days or within a few weeks. Applicants should use valid email addresses when applying online to prevent missing any emails from the company. Individuals may check application statuses by placing polite phone calls or in-person visits to preferred stores. Keep communication professional and courteous.
Benefits of Working at Big O Tires
Employment benefits may vary between franchise locations. Some stores may offer full-time workers generous employment benefits, such as:
- 401(k) retirement plans, medical insurance, and paid vacation.
- Part-time workers typically benefit from product and services discounts.
- Some franchise owners may offer employee assistance programs to needful associates; however, most employee benefits packages remain reserved for full-time employees.
More Details on Big O Tires
Big O Tires maintains arrangements with professional recyclers to properly dispose of and repurpose fluids removed from vehicles during maintenance and servicing. The company also takes a leading role in recycling used car batteries, which contain many useful components like lead and plastic. Giving back to the community remains an important ideal for the retailer, and franchise locations across the nation proudly support Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation for pediatric cancer research.