New York-based department store chain Bloomingdale’s represents one of the most reputable names in the industry. Applicants looking for steady work with a storied retail chain may take interest in positions available with the major department store. Jobs available include part-time and full-time options for work and cater to most scheduling preferences.
Facts About Working at Bloomingdales
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Bloomingdale's?)
Available Positions: Commission Sales Associate, Beauty Advisor, Alterations, Loss Prevention/Security-Detective, Merchandising Team Associate, Receiving/Processing Team Associate, Sales Associate, Selling Specialist, Visual Team Associate, Department Supervisor, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, General Manager, Merchandise Manager, Operations Manager, Sales Manager, Store-Line Executive Trainee, Assistant Buyer, Associate Planner, Buyer, Merchant Executive Trainee
Bloomingdale’s Job Opportunities
The longstanding department store chain provides modern retail services combined with traditional values of service. Bloomingdale’s stores typically divide into various sections or departments and feature areas dedicated to menswear, shoes, clothing for women and children, eveningwear, bedding, jewelry, and other household commodities. The wide range of products sold in stores provides several avenues for interested applicants to find meaningful employment. Workers enjoy competitive pay scales, flexible scheduling, opportunities for commission, paid training, and access to career development programs and managerial opportunities.
In order to secure Bloomingdale’s jobs, employment hopefuls must possess excellent customer service skills, regardless of position desired. The retail chain takes pride in offering excellent customer care. Ideal traits workers should exude include persistence, patience, energy, self-motivation, and reliability. Hiring requirements regularly include previous or retail-related experience; however, many job seekers find entry-level work with the department store without any relevant professional histories.
Bloomingdale’s Employment and Pay Information
Unlike many retail job opportunities, in order to work for Bloomingdale’s applicants must stand 18 or older. The careers portal found on the company website allows job seekers to peruse available positions before applying. Applicants may fill out and submit hiring forms online or in store. The most readily available jobs for hire include:
Commissioned Sales Professional
- As evidenced by the professional title, Bloomingdale’s expects exceptional results from all employees.
- The position of commissioned sales professional includes many traditional sales associate responsibilities, including implementing suggestive sales techniques, providing information on products and services, assisting in sales, and ringing up purchases.
- The job opportunity also provides the possibility of percentage-based commissions on individual sales or overall sales numbers.
- Commissioned sales professionals not only sell products but build lasting relationships with customers.
- Interpersonal skills, charming and persuasive attitudes, and genuine love of helping others rank as pinnacle attributes of individuals vying for the specific job title.
- Most sales professionals start out earning $10.00 per hour, with pay scales influenced by varying commission rates.
- Major functions fulfilled by merchandiser associates include replenishing stock, building and arranging displays, changing out seasonal product lines, and improving store layouts.
- A majority of merchandiser employees work early morning shifts before stores open to avoid disrupting shopping experiences for customers.
- Candidates need to possess strong presentation and organizational skills for employment consideration.
- Individuals must also possess the ability to work in timely fashions and as part of teams.
- Some minor physical labor, such as climbing, bending, and lifting, proves fairly common while on-the-clock.
- A merchandiser may earn anywhere from $10.00 to $11.00 an hour at start and eventually move into higher hourly pay scales of $14.00 to $15.00.
- Each department requires experienced employees to oversee operations and supervise subordinate workers.
- The retailer routinely offers career opportunities in management ranging from team leader job titles to full-time positions as assistant store managers and store managers.
- Though varying slightly by specific job title, managerial positions involve hiring and training new crew members, setting schedules, maintaining inventory, protecting against theft, processing payroll, driving sales, organizing daily operations, and coordinating shipments.
- Many team leader positions provide part-time hours or irregular schedules.
- Assistant store managers and store managers may also work irregular hours but generally maintain full-time employee status.
- Team leaders pull in slightly more than entry-level associates in the same departments, with pay scales beginning around $30,000 per year.
- Assistant store managers may earn anywhere from $40,000 to $50,000 a year.
- Salary options for store managers often exceed $80,000 annually and rise to more than $100,000 per year with experience.
Tips For Applying
Applicants may find accessing available jobs easier online than through traditional paper-and-pencil or face-to-face means. Workers looking for employment may find updated job boards with positions searchable by keywords. However, the department store still accepts paper application forms. In either case, denoting open availability and highlighting any previous experience in sales or customer service may benefit candidates and lead to increased odds of receiving job offers.
In some instances, Bloomingdale’s may hire on help without going through traditional means of screening viable candidates. On-the-spot hiring takes place with regularity at the department store chain. Individuals usually hear back from recruitment staff regarding interview eligibility within a week or so. Many hear back the same day, and even within the hour, especially when applying online. Management usually contacts applicants regarding job status within a few days once candidates receive full review.
Benefits of Working at Bloomingdale’s
Parent company Macy’s Inc. ensures employees receive fair compensation for both time and effort and provides outstanding work benefits packages to eligible associates. Automatically, Bloomingdale’s workers receive 20% off purchases made in store, which includes all stores operating under the corporate retail umbrella of the parent company. Qualified employees also enjoy:
- Medical and dental plans
- Employee assistance programs
- Health flexible spending accounts
- 401(k) retirement plans with up to 50% deferred compensation options, and regular performance and recognition awards.
Additional information on Bloomingdale’s
In addition to operating as a renowned retail chain, Bloomingdale’s maintains a substantial reputation for philanthropic involvement in various causes. The main spearhead of social initiatives, called “b.cause”, establishes partnerships with both local and national charities and helps sponsor events and raise awareness for various causes. Notable partners include the Susan G. Komen Foundation, Joyful Heart Foundation, Child Mind Institute, and JDRF. The program also encourages employee philanthropy, with thousands of associates volunteering for various causes annually.