A major competitor in the grocery store industry, Brookshire's Food & Pharmacy maintains close to 150 locations across three U.S. states and falls under the control of parent company Brookshire's Grocery Company, which manages several other brands. With a sizeable presence throughout the American South and other parts of the country, the grocery store chain offers employment opportunities across various career fields. The supermarket chain boasts thousands of employees and hires new associates to fill frequently existing job openings.
Facts About Working at Brookshire's
Hiring Age: 15 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Brookshire's?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Meat Clerk, Produce Clerk, Baker Clerk, Seafood Clerk, Assistant Manager, Manager, Pharmacist, Pharmacy Technician
Brookshire’s Job Opportunities
Applicants interested in Brookshire’s jobs may find work as entry-level employees or as managers and corporate professionals in long-term careers. The average associate works in entry-level capacities, which stand most readily accessible out of available employment opportunities. However, managerial opportunities open up with consistency, as well. Candidates need to complete all hiring phases and necessary forms to receive employment consideration. Overall, the Texas-based supermarket hires individuals with solid work ethics able to provide excellent customer service.
Brookshire’s cares for employees immediately upon hire. Associates receive complimentary uniforms, flexible scheduling options, recognition for hard work, and access to employee benefits packages. Store locations help cultivate careers through paid training programs and professional advancement opportunities, most notably highlighted by regular promotions from within. Applicants may access jobs in-store or online via the company website. The grocery store chain regularly updates job titles currently for hire and allows workers to fill out employment forms online.
Brookshire’s Employment Opportunities and Pay Scales
The regional supermarket imposes hiring requirements for most jobs available. At a minimum, workers must fall at or above the age of 15 for employment consideration. Some entry-level jobs require no previous work history for consideration, while managerial positions and select departmental opportunities require related experience, high school diplomas, advanced degrees, and other forms of certification to gain hire. The Southern supermarket often looks to fill the following positions:
- Some of the most widely available jobs include entry-level clerk positions.
- Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy conducts hiring for clerks in various departments throughout store locations.
- Prospective employees may find work in deli, bakery, produce, health and beauty, frozen foods, floral, meat, and seafood departments.
- Clerks generally assist one another in carrying out departmental tasks, such as cutting meats in the deli or baking breads and pastries in the bakery section.
- Additional responsibilities may include stocking and organizing shelves, assisting in sales, or basic sanitation and maintenance.
- Pay for clerks begins around minimum wage and rises to $8.00 or $9.00 per hour.
- The average cashier working for Brookshire’s earns around $8.00 in hourly wages.
- Quality execution of job duties, time spent with the company, and consistent effort usually lead to pay increases over time.
- Typical responsibilities of cashiers range from providing customer service to assisting in sales and operating cash registers.
- Cashier employees work checkout aisles and customer service desks.
- As entry-level associates, most cashiers work part-time for the supermarket.
- Hours available usually total no more than 30 per week. Associates may stand for long periods and regularly engage with customers.
- Strong interpersonal skills and dedicated personalities often make for ideal cashier job hopefuls.
- Grocery stores like Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy must constantly fill managerial roles, as well.
- Applicants may choose from assorted positions like department manager and supervisor jobs, assistant manager positions, and employment as full store managers.
- Depending on the department, managers may carry out similar tasks, such as supervising, training, and scheduling workers.
- Most managers undertake hiring responsibilities, as well.
- Job duties may also include reporting to corporate officials, maintaining and ordering products for inventory, and performing opening and closing procedures.
- The use of basic math and social skills obliges workers to hold at least a high school diploma to work as a manager with the regional supermarket.
- Managerial positions generally require previous related experience to gain employment.
- Working for Brookshire’s, new-hire managers should expect to start out earning anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000 for departmental roles, up to $40,000 starting salary for assistant managers, and in excess of $60,000 for store managers.
Tips For Applying
Candidates enjoy myriad ways to apply for Brookshire’s supermarket jobs. First, workers may fill out paper applications available in stores. Applicants may also fill out hiring forms online. A third option includes downloading a printable application. The final way to apply for grocery store jobs with the chain includes emailing a detailed resume. Job hopefuls may take any one of the four routes to submit required employment documents and receive equal review. However, filling out and submitting forms manually may offer applicants additional opportunities to demonstrate related abilities.
Managers may reach out to workers within a couple days of submitting applications to conduct phone interviews or schedule face-to-face meetings. However, applicants should expect to spend between one and two weeks going through the necessary procedures for hiring consideration. Motivated individuals should call back to follow up on application statuses or visit locations in person to inquire about positions in hiring queues. Avoid visiting Brookshire’s grocery stores during busy hours. Interrupting or disrupting daily flows of operations may paint candidates as nuisances and reduce chances of employment.
Benefits of Working at Brookshire’s
In recent years, Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy received recognition for ranking as one of the best places to work in the State of Texas. The grocery store chain treats employees like members of a family and supports career development and personal growth through excellent management and work environments conducive to success in the industry. Flexible scheduling and competitive pay allow associates time and means to enjoy life away from the job. The supermarket also offers employment benefits packages to qualified workers. Job benefits range from 401(k) retirement plans and paid time off to healthcare coverage and life insurance options.
Added Information on Brookshire’s
Owned and operated by Brookshire’s Grocery Company, which also manages several other grocery store chains, Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy maintains “people first” company policies. The supermarket chain regularly sponsors local food drives and partners with food banks to enrich surrounding communities. Actively involved in promoting sustainability, the grocery retailer also takes environmental stances and pushes for greener practices, including enforcing storewide recycling programs, sponsoring environmental education programs, and selling reusable bags.