Cabela's operates renowned retail stores specializing in sporting goods, camping equipment, and hunting supplies and apparel. The large stores feature thousands of products and hundreds of opportunities for entry-level jobs and professional careers.
Facts About Working at Cabela's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Cabela's?)
Available Positions: Retail Associate, Asset Protection Specialist, Bargain Cave Associate, Boat Service Associate, Category Specialist, Club Associate, Customer Care Supervisor, Firearm Inspector, Inventory Merchandise Associate, Lead Customer Service, Retail Admin Assistant, Retail Customer Service Manager, Retail Footwear Associate, Retail Lead Associate - Archery, Retail Lead Associate - Clothing, Retail Lead Associate - Footwear, Retail Lead Associate - Hunting, Retail Lead Associate - Receiving, Warehouse Receiving Associate, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Cabela’s Job Opportunities
Storewide, Cabela’s maintains a workforce of over 14,000 associates. Locations include dozens of elaborate departments dedicated to various areas of outdoors enthusiasm, gaming, and athletics. Staff positions usually include customer service, cashier, and stock job duties. Due to extensive product lines sold in store, applicants must possess highly specific knowledge of merchandise. Solid memorization skills serve job seekers well, as out-of-department recommendations serve as common occurrences and require highly detailed understandings of store layouts.
A smaller chain relative to similar sporting goods stores, Cabela’s maintains devout customer bases and draws thousands of patrons from miles away to shop at the iconic storefronts. Employees come in contact with hundreds of customers on a daily basis and need to possess outgoing, personable, and motivated attributes. Workers must possess the ability to lift, stack, store, and move merchandise comfortable, as well. Strong, physical stamina greatly benefits prospective associates. While the company places few formal requirements for entry-level employment consideration, backgrounds in retail or outdoors sports and gaming may increase overall odds of receiving job offers.
Cabela’s Positions and Salary Information
Respect, honesty, strong work ethics, and exceptional customer service serve as integral traits applicants must possess to gain employment. Workers must also stand at least 18 years of age, hold high school diplomas, and meet departmental requirements for experience, which may fall anywhere between none to two years for some entry-level positions and up to several years for specialized retail sales jobs. The list below offers pay scales and job duties for popular Cabela’s employment opportunities:
- Traditionally a part-time job, the position of retail cashier boasts customer service duties and basic stock responsibilities.
- Greeting, engaging, and interacting with customers serves as the primary function of the role.
- Subordinate charges include ringing up purchases, recommending products and services, and restocking unwanted or returned items.
- Cabela’s cashiers also perform simple sanitation and maintenance duties, such as emptying trash cans, dusting countertops, and restocking supplies.
- Workers must possess basic familiarity with computers and elementary math skills.
- The retail chain offers starting pay scales well above federal minimum wage for cashiers, with introductory rates falling around $9.00 per hour.
- The retail chain must hire highly knowledgeable and specialized workers throughout each location in order to provide acute customer service on various forms of gaming, athletics, and outdoors equipment and apparel.
- Areas of expertise encompass hunting, fishing, camping, rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, rowing, travel, and general leisure.
- Each department hires individuals with backgrounds in corresponding fields.
- Some outfitter and retail specialist jobs require applicants to possess upwards of eight to 10 years of experience.
- Job seekers must also maintain weekend availability in order to gain employment with the renowned chain.
- Extroverts and engaging personalities typically receive preferential treatment during the hiring process.
- Hourly pay scales range from $9.00 or $10.00 at start in increase with experience to roughly $12.00 or $13.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Job hopefuls should ensure possessing proper experience and related backgrounds in corresponding lines of retail sales prior to filling out applications. The retail chain places heavy importance in candidate abilities to relate products and personal interests with customers. Individuals unable to provide proof of experience often receive dismissal from the hiring process.
An online application platform allows workers to save progress and log in to fill out additional employment forms; however, individuals must contact desired storefronts to inquire about positions available after submitting required hiring forms. From beginning to end, the hiring process takes about a week or two to complete, with successful candidates receiving callbacks to schedule interviews within a few days regarding employment materials. Retail job seekers interested in checking application status may call or email hiring personnel to learn more about the next steps in the recruitment process. Keep in mind hours of operation, as peak business hours generally limit contact managers may spend with prospective employees.
Benefits of Working at Cabela’s
As a major retailer with worldwide brand recognition, Cabela’s draws talent and retains employees with comprehensive work benefits packages. In addition to above-standard base wage and salary options, the sporting goods store provides associates with:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Medical and dental insurance plans
- Paid vacation, and
- Employee discounts.
Insurance options extend to dependents and family members in most cases, as well.
Further Details on Cabela’s
A mail-order catalog marketing program remains at the forefront of success for the popular retail chain. The sporting goods company ships the catalog to roughly 125 countries, which includes markets on six continents. Patrons enjoy more than 100 catalogs printed each year, with issues highlighting topics specific to customer interests. The periodicals include product pictures and descriptions, articles regarding aspects of sporting and gaming, and innovations in each field.