Founded in 1985, California Pizza Kitchen stands as one of the premier gourmet pizza chains. The international company operates across the country and in nearly a dozen countries outside of the U.S., which provides both domestic job opportunities and chances to work abroad.
Facts About Working at California Pizza Kitchen
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at California Pizza Kitchen?)
Available Positions: Host/Hostess, Server, Counter & Take-out Server, Busser, Pizza Cook, Pasta Cook, Prep Cook, Dishwasher, Dining Room Shift Leader, Kitchen Manager, Assistant Restaurant Manager, Restaurant Manager
California Pizza Kitchen Employee Interview Videos
California Pizza Kitchen Employment Opportunities
The popular restaurant chain offers casual, laidback dining environments and trendy, artisan menus inspired by West Coast lifestyles and sold at reasonable prices. Each year, California Pizza Kitchen, sometimes stylized as CPK, draws millions of patrons and experiences corresponding growth as an international franchise. In total, the artisan pizza shop employs close to 15,000 associates. Workers looking for pizza shop jobs regularly encounter widespread access to meaningful entry-level and career-level opportunities through the prominent chain as new locations open, including both part-time and full-time positions. A majority of the company workforce carries entry-level job status; however, managerial and corporate roles offer long-term options with salary pay and employment benefits packages.
Due to the nature of restaurant jobs, and work in the pizza shop industry, in general, applicants must feel comfortable working with food and interacting with the public on a regular basis. Entry-level responsibilities primarily center on customer service and food preparation. California Pizza Kitchen looks at company staff as family and cultures supportive work environments conducive to personal as well as professional growth. While no real formal training or experience proves necessary for employment, job seekers should still command outgoing, energetic, courteous, and attentive personalities. Candidates displaying genuine interest in the company and services provided, passion, and hard work ethics historically represent ideal fits with the international gourmet pizza chain.
California Pizza Kitchen Job Outlook and Salary Options
Loud, bustling work settings require engaging and dedicated workers to provide customer service and care for guest needs. Applicants must stand at least 16, possess reliable means of transportation, enjoy fast-paced and food-oriented responsibilities, and share personal enjoyment of the brand in order to gain employment. California Pizza Kitchen primarily hires for entry-level jobs; however, full-time managerial roles remain available on a consistent bases at most locations. The list below offers full descriptions of available work:
- Experience and overall attitude toward work often represent two major and deciding factors when applying for CPK server jobs.
- The respected chain looks for people-pleasing individuals able to perform under stress and satisfy customer complaints, needs, and requests accordingly.
- Prompt service remains essential to the role.
- Typical job duties include taking orders and bringing food to tables, explaining menus, filling/refilling drinks, and table bussing.
- Servers also ring out orders and process payments.
- Memorization, basic math, and computer skills assist in daily tasks.
- On average, server employees work part-time and receive state minimum wage for tipped associates, which falls between $3.00 to $4.00 an hour.
- Some of the first points of contact at restaurants like California Pizza Kitchen, hosts greet customers at the door, seat guests, and explain daily specials.
- Requiring no real experience for employment consideration, hosting jobs include creating seating charts and evenly assigning tables to servers.
- Both motivated and focused individuals enjoy the best odds of gaining employment in the role in addition to bright, personable, and lively characters.
- The mostly part-time entry-level job also features some mild cleaning, as hosts take responsibility for keeping dining areas and front entranceways presentable.
- Personal hygiene and overall appearances usually factor into hiring decisions, as well.
- Hosting opportunities offer minimum wage starting pay, in most cases.
- Many locations feature in-house bars, which require trained and sociable workers to serve drinks and process payments.
- Job duties revolve around preparing drinks and maintaining clean bar areas.
- Customer may also order food from the bar, which facilitates the need to understand available menus and provide recommendations.
- Bartenders traditionally need to stand 21 and over and possess formal certification from third-party sources in order to gain employment.
- Associates may work part-time or full-time in bartender roles.
- Experience usually dictates job status upon hire.
- Customarily, pay scales start out around minimum wage and rise to $10.00 or so.
- Bartenders also possess the ability to earn tips based on service.
Tips For Applying
Candidates often face questions regarding menu items, past jobs, and customer service abilities both on the required hiring forms and during the interview process. Prior to applying, workers should become familiar with California Pizza Kitchen menus, specials, even ingredients used as well as gather information about previous employers to streamline the process and improve odds of consideration. Open availability also benefits potential associates, as new-hire workers usually start out in varying schedules.
The international pizza chain traditionally reaches out to candidates of interest within two or three weeks of receiving the necessary paperwork for employment. Entry-level positions may feature quicker turnaround, with candidates receiving phone calls to interview within a week of submitting applications a common occurrence. Workers may reach out to hiring personnel to check on applications prior to contact from the restaurant. Visiting in person or telephoning locations to speak with managers represent ideal methods of follow up.
Benefits of Working at California Pizza Kitchen
Complimentary uniforms, paid training, and employee meal discounts remain introductory job benefits available to entry-level employees and managers alike. Qualified associates also receive employment benefits packages consisting of:
- Healthcare options
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Bonuses, and
- Anniversary gifts.
Career advancement opportunities remain accessible for motivated employees, as well.
Further Details on California Pizza Kitchen
While CPK remains famous for lively and trendy gourmet restaurants, the chain also offers opportunities for patrons to enjoy menu items at home. The prominent California-inspired pizza chain sells prepackaged versions of popular menu items in the frozen foods aisles at major grocery stores throughout the United States. Customers may shop for pre-made pizza creations ready for the oven. Popular options include California kale with sausage, spinach and artichoke, fire-roasted vegetable, and four cheese pizzas.