Continued growth from more than 140 stores currently located across the United States drives used-car retailer CarMax to seek out and hire new employees with regularity. The automobile industry leader seeks enthusiastic, customer-oriented workers to fill multiple roles.
Facts About Working at CarMax
Minimum Age to Work at CarMax: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at CarMax?)
CarMax Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 11:00am-9:00pm; Sat: 9:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 12:00pm-7:00pm
Available Positions at CarMax: Sales Consultant, Customer Service Representative, Sales Manager, Parts Manager, Service Consultant, Cosmetic Supervisor, Service Manager, Reconditioning Production Manager, Operations Manager, Buyer, Purchasing Manager, Assistant Store Manager, General Store Manager, Application Architect, Project Coordinator, Security Analyst, Administrative Servicing Clerk, Loss Prevention Officer, Solution Center Specialist, Marketing Research Manager, Internal Auditor, Relations Manager
CarMax Job Opportunities
As one of the largest used-car dealerships in the country, CarMax continually needs to bring on new employees in various roles to ensure the continued success of each location. To fill most entry-level jobs, the company offers on-site training and mentorship along with ongoing guidance after hire, which makes hiring qualifications straightforward and relatively minimal. Other entry-level positions include working in parts and supply, inventory, painting, and detailing. Certain positions, such as working in automotive services, may necessitate additional trainings and certifications to qualify for hire.
Applicants with interests in building long-term careers in the automotive industry may find attractive and lucrative positions in buying, management, and operations. Career-level positions remain accessible to employees after training, certification, and further education through promotion. The automotive company looks for individuals to fill such roles from outside applicants, as well. Management opportunities often remain available in various departments, such as sales, business offices, service operations, and team development.
CarMax Positions and Salary Information
Potentials may fill out applications on the company job board by joining the talent community available online. Candidates must hold high school diplomas or GEDs and stand at least 18 years old in order to earn hiring consideration for the following roles:
- Cruxes of any successful car dealership, sales consultants display a passion and motivation for selling quality vehicles to customers from all walks of life.
- CarMax readily trains incoming consultants and pays an average between $9.00 and $12.00 an hour, with unlimited earning potential based on sales.
- Associates should build and maintain customer relationships, display strong affinities for working in team environments, and possess working knowledge of products and vehicles.
- Other duties may include filling out paperwork, utilizing computer programs as selling tools, and facilitating all steps of the sale, such as appraisal, test driving, and submission of finance applications.
Automotive Technician/Mechanical Associate
- Diagnosing and repairing vehicles remains the most integral part of automotive technician positions with CarMax.
- Previous automotive experience remains a plus, though not entirely necessary to earn hiring consideration.
- Automotive technicians may need ASE certifications, as well.
- Also called mechanical associates, employees in the role must show flexible availability, the ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time, the capability to lift up to 50 pounds, and the aptitude to multitask in fast-paced environments.
- Salary capacities for mechanical associates may exceed $23.00 an hour.
- Parts and supply associates work full- or part-time shifts, including nights, weekends, holidays, and even 12-hour days.
- In charge of allocating parts to vehicles, building strong relationships with suppliers, sustaining parts inventories, and monitoring shrinkage, employees must also work well in team environments.
- Parts and supply associates work directly with customers, which makes strong customer service skills a must.
- Keeping clean and organized work spaces also proves beneficial.
- Parts and supply associates earn hourly wages starting at $13.00.
Tips For Applying
Utilizing an online application process found on the company website, candidates may use social media to build profiles or start from scratch. Applicants must submit to pre-employment questions regarding availability, work history, and education, then may also upload resumes. The rest of the online application calls for potential workers to answer basic assessment questions before final submissions. Visiting in person and filling out paper applications may prove viable in certain locations, though applying online typically proves more reliable.
The hiring process may range from a couple of days to a few weeks. Hiring managers typically set up initial interviews either with phone calls or emails. Candidates may check on application statuses by logging in to profiles on the company talent network. To demonstrate genuine desire to work for the automotive industry leader, visiting desired locations and speaking directly with a manager may greatly improve chances of hire. Applicants should dress accordingly and prepare for on-the-spot interviews, as well.
Benefits of Working at CarMax
Employees enjoy a wide range of job benefits after hire in addition to competitive base pay, paid trainings, and flexible scheduling options.
- Associates receive paid time off, including vacation, sick time, personal time, and holidays.
- Additionally, the automotive company offers full domestic partner benefits as well as employee stock purchase plans and enrollment in company-matched 401(k) retirement plans.
- Employees may also gain access to medical, dental, and vision plans upon hire.
In order to provide for full work/life balance, workers may receive assistance from company partnerships, on-site health fairs, expecting mothers programs, and tuition assistance, as well.
Additional Information about CarMax
Started as a new business venture by now-defunct electronics retailer Circuit City in 1993, CarMax focuses on core values such as teamwork, diversity, respect, quality, and pride to continue to build the brand and expand into new territories. In keeping with such values, the car dealership and automotive industry leader provides employees multiple rewards such as family days, associate recognition, store celebrations, and fun days. To give back to communities served, the company started the CarMax Foundation to provide grants, volunteer, and provide disaster relief to families in need. The KaBOOM! Program builds community playgrounds to promote play and improve the lives of underserved children.