Carmike Cinemas stands as one of the largest movie theater chains in the U.S., with over 250 locations and nearly 8,000 employees. The company regularly hires for various entry-level and career-oriented roles, and candidates may apply online or in person.
Facts About Working at Carmike
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Carmike?)
Available Positions: Booth Crew Member, Busser, Cashier, Concessionist, Cook, Dishwasher, Server, Supervisor, Usher
Carmike Job Opportunities
A publicly traded company found in over 30 states, the movie theater chain offers increasing opportunities for employment as operations grow and expand into new territories. Constantly seeking workers to staff a variety of positions, Carmike employs associates willing to work flexible schedules, interact positively and frequently with customers, and enjoy movies and cinema. Most entry-level employment remains available with minimum hiring requirements and serve as ideal first jobs for teens looking for work and for retirees. The company also regularly hires individuals with prior management experience, preferably in the retail, hospitality, entertainment, or restaurant industries.
While some locations act as dinner-theaters complete with broad menus and full-service kitchens, a majority of Carmike Cinemas act as traditional movie theaters utilizing up-to-date technology. Employees regularly receive opportunities to advance to leadership roles with the company after starting in staff roles. Previous experience, while not necessary for most positions, may prove beneficial, especially at the dinner-theater locations. Individuals with histories as servers or bartenders may gain preference over applicants without such familiarity. Further education, certifications, and tenure may remain requirements for outside applicants in managerial roles.
Positions and Salary Information for Carmike
Employees with the movie theater industry leader regularly work varied shifts and enjoy fringe benefits, such as ticket and concession discounts in addition to competitive pay. Applicants must stand at least 16 years of age in order to apply for most entry-level positions. Candidates for managerial roles may need to possess high school diplomas or the equivalent to qualify. The most often available jobs sit below.
- Encompassing a wide variety of positions within the movie theater industry, floor staff typically earn minimum hourly wage.
- Promotion to staff leader jobs may provide raises in hourly income to around $9.00.
- Floor staff work as ticket takers, cashiers, concession workers, and ushers.
- Responsibilities vary and tend to include preparing and selling concessions, such as popcorn and fountain drinks, cleaning equipment, selling tickets, cleaning and monitoring auditoriums, assisting guests as necessary, and maintaining overall facility cleanliness and appearance.
- Positions expand at dining club theaters, as employees may also take jobs in kitchen, server, and bar tender roles.
- Floor staff employees should display consistent and friendly behaviors, willingness to interact with the public, and the ability to work multiple shifts, nights, and weekends.
- Divided between assistant managers and theatre managers, supervisor job duties include satisfying goals related to customer service, sales, and other essential tasks.
- Assistant managers report directly to theatre managers and retain responsibility for managing, training, and leading associates as well as interacting with patrons, handling complaints, and ordering supplies when needed.
- Theatre managers and managers-in-training must perform daily tasks primarily involving administrative duties, such as staffing and discipline, scheduling, opening and closing locations, monetary duties, and public relations.
- Managers typically work various shifts, including nights and weekends, and should show willingness to relocate, if necessary.
- Employees in supervisory roles should expect to earn annual salary options ranging from $25,000 to $37,000.
Tips For Applying
The cinema and theater company provides applicants multiple ways to apply for available positions. Potentials may apply in-person at preferred locations of hire or choose to apply online. The online application remains straightforward and simple. Job seekers search available positions and select Apply. Candidates provide basic hiring data, including contact information, availability, experience, and necessary references. Applicants agree to authorize the company to perform necessary checks into the validity of the provided information upon completing and then click Submit.
Applicants typically hear back from hiring managers within one to two weeks of applying. Faster responses may prove possible if the location needs to make immediate hiring determinations. For ideal results, aspirants should direct follow-up questions to managers responsible for hiring, if possible. Follow-up contact should occur carefully and cautiously and should observe any recommendations laid out by the potential employer. Following up on an application often shows initiative, enthusiasm, and desire for the job at hand.
Benefits of Working at Carmike
In addition to competitive wages, flexible scheduling, and access to career promotions, employees enjoy assortments of industry-standard work benefits. Associates regularly receive free movie tickets and discounted concessions items and may also earn movie distributor swag, such as posters or other promotional items. Full-time workers may gain access to health benefits, such as:
- Dental and vision coverage
- Paid vacation
- Sick days, and
- Holiday pay.
Other work benefits may include retirement benefits, such as stock purchase plans and enrollment in company-matched 401(k) plans.
Further Information about Carmike
Carmike Cinemas offers unique experiences at various locations across the country called The BigD, which utilizes large-format digital experiences in auditorium settings. Each theater includes wall-to-wall screens measuring 78ft. wide and 35ft. tall, offer custom, luxury seating, the latest in surround sound, and digital projection for both 2D and 3D features. The theater group offers The BigD for viewing movies, concerts, sporting events, and even church services and motivational speakers. Tickets remain available online.