Carvel represents a competitive ice cream industry company with thousands of job opportunities readily available for motivated applicants. Individuals looking for work with the prominent dessert retailer may look for employment through more than 500 locations across the United States. Retailing in local grocery stores throughout the country provides even more viable opportunities for work.
Facts About Working at Carvel
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Carvel?)
Available Positions: Team Member, Cake Decorator, Shift Manager, Assistant Manager, Manager
Carvel Job Opportunities
The nationwide ice cream company specializes in frozen dairy treats. Popular items sold at Carvel stores and distributed to grocery chains include ice cream cakes and soft-serve ice cream. Jobs available include cake decorating, serving, and cashier positions as well as careers in management. Applicants typically need to meet basic hiring requirements to gain employment, such as standing at least 16-years old. Personal qualities, like friendly attitudes and dedicated work ethics, also serve job seekers well. Managerial positions generally require leadership and educational backgrounds to assume supervisory roles.
Individuals working for the prominent ice cream chain must demonstrate serious passion and determination during the hiring process. General work environments cater to job hopefuls who exude exceptional attention to detail and superior customer service skills, as associates spend a majority of most shifts talking with patrons and filling orders. Basic enjoyment of culinary settings also benefit prospective Carvel workers.
Carvel Positions and Salary Information
Inexperienced workers may take immediate interest in available part-time, entry-level jobs. Work available features flexible options for scheduling, substantial introductory wages, and room for growth within the company. Entry-level jobs and careers most often for hire include:
- Basic team member job duties include preparing food and drink orders and completing transactions at the cash register.
- Traditionally a part-time position, team member consists of carrying out basic sanitation and work station clean-up responsibilities in addition to taking orders, making foods, and interacting with customers.
- No real experience proves necessary to work as a Carvel team member.
- Most workers start out at minimum wage and move into higher pay scales with experience and tenure.
- Another entry-level position, cake decorator jobs may require some culinary arts background to gain employment.
- The primary functions of cake decorator employees include assisting in food preparation and personally decorating Carvel cakes.
- Employees spend a great deal of time on foot and performing duties requiring extreme dexterity.
- Careful attention to detail also proves a must for potential cake decorators.
- The average cake decorator starts out slightly above minimum wage at $8.00 or $9.00 per hour.
- Applicants in search of careers in the ice cream industry may find working as managers of retail locations ideal stepping stones.
- The nationwide chain looks to hire on managers to look after each location and supervise employees.
- Job duties range from onboarding new employees to setting schedules, ordering inventory, driving sales, engaging with patrons, and ensuring quality and overall customer satisfaction with products and services.
- Assistant managers typically make around $20,000 a year, while managers earn salary options close to $30,000 or $35,000 annually.
Tips For Applying
The relatively simple application process used by Carvel ice cream shops takes job seekers a handful of days to navigate, in most cases. Workers submit hiring forms and then wait a day or two to hear back from managers regarding candidacies. Prepare the necessary documents thoroughly and consider visiting local shops in person to demonstrate added interest in gaining employment. When visiting with recruitment personnel directly, applicants should act candidly, remain positive and upbeat, and indicate open availability to increase hiring odds.
Job hopefuls looking to check on application statuses should call or visit locations a day or two after submitting hiring forms. Some prospective employees may receive phone calls to schedule interviews prior to following up on applications or even receive full job offers. Use discretion when reaching out to hiring personnel, as shift supervisors and general restaurant managers regularly keep busy schedules and may only possess small windows of time to entertain applicants. To avoid becoming a distraction or nuisance, ask about the best times to check back when handing in the applications initially.
Benefits of Working at Carvel
The ice cream retailer makes a point to reward employees for good work. Regular incentives for strong service, dependability, and overall effort remain available throughout any calendar year for motivated individuals. Carvel also provides access to employment benefits packages designed to promote excellent work/life balance. Job benefits packages commonly include:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Medical insurance, and
- Life insurance.
Most locations also offer some kind of discount or gratis on products and services. Complimentary uniforms and nametags usually remain available to associates, as well.
More Details on Carvel
Known for creative and innovative culinary methods, Carvel stands most widely recognized for specialty cakes. The ice cream company infuses a mixed of traditional cake batter, ice cream, and candy “crunchies” to create delicious dairy treats. The chain sells dozens of styles of cakes ranging from traditional round and rectangular cakes to cakes in the shapes of hearts, No. 2 pencils, basketballs, and other themed designs. Customers may search through the company website to find cakes for most any occasion, including birthdays, holidays, or other signature moments. Once patrons find desired cake types and designs, the individuals may place orders online for pickup at a local store.