Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, boasts more than 15 of the tallest, fastest, and most thrilling roller coasters in the world. The park employs over 4,000 fun-loving employees each summer, who project energetic attitudes and ensure fun, enjoyable guest experiences.
Facts About Working at Cedar Fair
Minimum Age to Work at Cedar Fair: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Cedar Fair?)
Cedar Fair Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 11:00pm-12:00am; Sun: 12:00pm-9:00pm
Available Positions at Cedar Fair: Cashier/Ticket Taker (Admissions/Tolls), Customer Service Host, Ride Host, Lifeguard, Sweep, Guest Pet/Farm Attendant, Restroom Host, Traffic Host, Building Cleaning Attendant, Bus Driver, Office Clerk/Data Entry, Sales Associate, Ride Photo Associate, Craft Positions (Blacksmith, Wood Carver, Glass Blower, Candle Maker), Warehouse Attendant, Group Sales/Marketing Clerk, Information Assistant, Laborer, Landscaper, Mechanic (Automotive/Ride), Grounds Attendant, Housekeeping Attendant, Registration/Reservation Clerk, Courtesy Car Driver, Laundry Attendant, Recreation Center Attendant, Mail Delivery Carrier, Arcade/Games Host, Arcade Mechanic, Weight Guesser, Vending Attendant, Bartender, Cook, Dishwasher, Food Host/Cashier, Food/Beverage Server, Saloon Host, Bank Teller, Firefighter/Paramedic, Security Officer
Cedar Point Employee Interview Videos
Cedar Fair/Cedar Point Job Options
Located on the shores of Lake Erie in Sandusky, OH, Cedar Fair operates over 75 thrill rides. Employees provide live entertainment, act as lifeguards at outdoor, waterpark attractions, and provide world-class hospitality at five beachfront hotels. Due to the nature and location of the business, the park typically operates from May through October and remains closed during the cold Northeast Ohio winter months. Most employees find jobs during the summer, though corporate-level employees remain necessary year-round to perform tasks such as event planning, marketing, maintenance, and technical functions.
Cedar Point offers workers access to on-site associate housing and even hosts international students wishing to gain work experience in the United States for the summer. Many workers form close friendships working outdoors in friendly, fun, summer environments. Most positions require long hours of customer interaction, so job seekers holding previous customer service or retail experience make good candidates for amusement park jobs when submitting applications. Individuals under the age of 19 must acquire written work authorization forms from parental guardians. During work shifts, employees wear assigned uniforms and follow personal grooming and appearance guidelines.
Work Opportunities and Pay Rates at Cedar Fair/Cedar Point
Students or individuals looking for amusement park jobs may apply for roles as ride operators, merchandise associates, security guards, games employees, office support staff, sweepers, entertainers, costume characters, and lifeguards. Job seekers may find a sampling of entry-level jobs and descriptions of daily duties listed below:
Thousands of guests from all over the world come visit Cedar Point every year to experience the thrill of rides and rollercoasters.
- Associates ensure enjoyable guest experiences by operating rides under strict safety guidelines.
- Operating rollercoasters, log flumes, swinging ships, and other amusing attractions requires workers to interact with people from diverse backgrounds on a consistent basis.
- Employees must remain professional and keep upbeat, energetic attitudes throughout work shifts and follow safety procedures explicitly, such as pre-operational maintenance checks, visual safety confirmations, ensuring guests remain properly restrained in moving carts, and going over safety procedures with oncoming riders.
- Operators also maintain clean ride areas and answer guest questions about directions, park policies, and take appropriate action in the event of emergency situations.
- Entry-level associates typically earn hourly wages between $8.00 and $9.00.
- Merchandise associates work in the many gift shops and kiosks throughout the park selling items such as t-shirts, stuffed animals, keychains, snacks, collectibles, and other souvenirs.
- Interpersonal communication skills stand paramount as well as basic math abilities and excellent time management.
- Workers filling the entry-level position often stand for long periods of time during shifts and may work indoors or outside.
- Daily duties include handling cash register transactions, assisting guests with merchandise- and park-related questions, reviewing sales reports with management, keeping transaction records, stocking shelves, maintaining inventories, and keeping store or kiosk areas clean and easy to navigate.
- Workers receive pay rates near $8.50 per hour.
Cedar Point hosts multiple live entertainment shows and performances throughout the park for guests to enjoy.
- Personnel may work as costumed characters, singers, dancers, musicians, or behind-the-scenes technical operators in charge of lights, sound, production, and costumes.
- Pay rates vary between positions, with singers, dancers, and musicians earning daily wages of $88.00, on average, while technical staff earn between $74.00 and $78.00 per day.
- Costumed character performers receive hourly wages starting at $8.55.
- Typical duties of singers, musicians and dancers include preparing, practicing and performing themed entertainment routines multiple times per day, interacting with guests, and promoting the friendly atmospheres of the park.
- Technical staff hold the responsibilities of coordinating, preparing, and running lighting sequences, sound setups, and special effects.
- Costumed characters bring Peanuts characters to life, such as Snoopy and Woodstock.
- Candidates considering entertainment positions must audition as part of the interview process, so backgrounds in theater, music, or the performing arts prove valuable.
Tips For Applying
Most hiring decisions finalize before the roller coaster capital opens for the season, with a majority of positions filled by February or March. Applicants may apply throughout the season as well to fill any open job positions. Online application forms require candidates to enter Social Security numbers and other personal information before continuing on to input work experience, education history, and resumes. Applicants for most positions undergo group interviews consisting of aptitude tests and behavioral questions. Prospective workers seeking entertainment positions must schedule auditions and prepare appropriate short performances, such as musical numbers, improvisational skits, and dance routines.
Individuals attempting to check on application statuses may find contacting hiring personnel quite challenging, since hiring thousands of workers in a short amount of time makes communication between recruiters and potential hires difficult. Candidates who apply after initial hiring rushes at the beginning of the season may find lines of communication between employers and prospective employees more accessible, and may stay up-to-date on application statuses by contacting recruitment personnel via phone, email, or skype.
Benefits of Working at Cedar Fair/Cedar Point
Seasonal Cedar Fair workers receive:
- Free park admissions throughout terms of employment, access to on-site worker housing, college credits, employee appreciation events, and engaging activities designed to help associates make the most of working at an amusement park.
- Due to the seasonal nature of many jobs, comprehensive employment benefits only extend to full-time corporate positions.
- Career park employees may receive access to standard job benefits, such as company-matched 401(k) retirement plans, healthcare coverage with medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, paid time off, and paid vacations.
Additional Facts about Cedar Fair/Cedar Point
For roller coaster enthusiasts, Cedar Point offers a roller coaster wedding package. For only $4,500, couples may tie the knot with a ceremony including one hour of private ride time on any roller coaster. Couples also receive complimentary ride photos and a 90-minute escorted photography session in the park before opening to the public. Admission for up to 12 guests stands included in the roller coaster wedding package, as well.