With restaurants in more than a dozen states and new locations opening regularly, Chuy's maintains a substantial workforce requiring the addition of new employees to support the growth of the company. The expanding restaurant chain needs to fill front-of-house and back-of-house positions.
Facts About Working at Chuy's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Chuy's?)
Available Positions: Host, Hostess, Waiter, Waitress, Busser, Dishwasher, Counter Help, Line Cook, Prep Cook, Slicer, Kitchen Helper, Cashier, Assistant Restaurant Manager, General Restaurant Manager
Printable Application: Yes. Print Chuy's application (PDF) or Search Job Openings.
Chuy’s Job Opportunities
The expanding restaurant chain needs to fill front-of-house and back-of-house positions.
Ideal for individuals who enjoy interacting with the public, front-of-house positions include customer service roles like busser, host, and server jobs. Each job title comes with entry-level responsibilities and room for career advancement. Inexperienced workers often start out as bussers or hosts and qualify for server positions after getting familiar with the restaurant industry, while high-performing servers may go on to become supervisors or managers. In addition to opportunities for advancement, front-of-house positions typically offer schedule flexibility and competitive hourly pay rates, with certain roles featuring increased earning potential based on tips.
While front-of-house employees primarily serve customers, back-of-house workers prepare the authentic Mexican cuisine upon which the success of Chuy’s largely depends. The restaurant chain maintains an extensive menu of signature dishes and sauces, which requires the work of talented cooks to bring the culinary vision to life. Even though the preparation of meals takes place behind the scenes and away from customers, cooks nevertheless must possess solid interpersonal skills in order to collaborate with servers and management effectively. Like front-of-house associates, cooks and other kitchen workers enjoy flexible hours and pay rates commensurate with experience as well as the rest of the restaurant industry.
Chuy’s Positions and Salary Information
In addition to hiring entry-level bussers, cooks, hosts, and servers, Chuy’s seeks managers with at least two years of management experience at a full-service restaurant. While total pay for entry-level associates depends on the number of hours worked, managers usually earn fixed annual salary options as compensation for working full-time. The information listed below describes some of the most common opportunities for employment:
- From answering questions about the menu to ringing up food and beverage sales, servers maintain responsibility for a variety of tasks related to customer service.
- The entry-level position of server primarily functions as the bridge between the restaurant dining room and the kitchen, as servers tell cooks what each customer wants and bring the requested menu items to the appropriate tables.
- Servers also check to see if customers need anything else periodically during the meal.
- Chuy’s pays servers between $2.00 and $3.00 per hour, plus tips.
- Bussers support servers by clearing tables and taking dirty dishes to the kitchen.
- Additional duties often include cleaning the dining room areas, assisting with the replenishment of table settings, and bringing meals to customers during peak business hours when servers get too busy.
- Bussers earn less than minimum wage and share a portion of tips with servers.
- As members of the kitchen staff, cooks operate equipment like ovens, stovetops, and fryers on a regular basis.
- Cooks also handle various utensils and ingredients constantly.
- Job seekers applying for cook positions must therefore possess the ability to follow proper safety and sanitation procedures.
- In addition to preparing ingredients and operating kitchen equipment, cooks use Chuy’s recipes to create authentic Mexican meals.
- Keeping track of inventory and alerting management when supplies run low also serve as key components of cook jobs.
- Pay rates for cooks typically extend as high as $10.00 an hour or so.
- Generally filled by individuals with two or more years of managerial experience in the restaurant industry, management positions feature job duties ranging from coordinating promotions and analyzing sales figures to creating employee schedules and supervising workers.
- Managers also interview, hire, train, and monitor the work performances of restaurant associates.
- Additional responsibilities may arise as necessary and often include a combination of tasks related to customer satisfaction and general leadership of the restaurant.
- Salary options for managers range from $40,000 to $75,000 per year, depending on job title and experience.
Tips For Applying
Entry-level candidates must apply for Chuy’s jobs in person. To make the process more efficient, job seekers may download and fill out the application ahead of time before taking the completed form to the applicable restaurant location. The form requires applicants to provide contact information, schedule availability, salary expectations, academic history, work experience, and references. In addition to providing the requested information, job seekers must draw a picture of a favorite cartoon character. Ideally, the picture should align with the fun and entertaining brand image of the restaurant chain.
Chuy’s classifies applications as active for 90 days after submission. Applicants who fail to hear from restaurant hiring managers within the 90-day period must reapply for employment to maintain consideration. Prior to the application becoming inactive, job seekers may call or visit the appropriate restaurant to check on the status of the form and establish a good rapport with the manager in charge of hiring.
Benefits of Working at Chuy’s
In addition to attractive base pay, Chuy’s associates enjoy flexible schedules and a casual work environment based on fun and collaboration. Qualified workers take advantage of additional employment benefits, which frequently include:
- Healthcare coverage
- A 401(k) retirement plan, and
- Paid time off.
Eligibility for job benefits depends on a number of factors specified during the hiring process.
Additional Information on Chuy’s
Established in 1982, the first Chuy’s restaurant operated out of an abandoned barbecue joint in Texas. The restaurant chain continues to enjoy a strong presence in the Lone Star State and also maintains locations throughout the South and into the Midwest. Each location features an eclectic mix of decor not found at any other restaurant in the chain. In addition to overseeing a chain of distinctively decorated restaurants, the company plays an active role in local communities by supporting or sponsoring initiatives like Special Olympics Texas and Operation Blue Santa, which delivers toys to needy children during the holidays.