Wholesale club Costco is one of the largest retailers in the entire world. A chain of warehouse-style, members-only stores, the company sells a variety of goods, from groceries to electronics and home goods. The store offers many entry-level employment options.
Facts About Working at Costco
Minimum Age to Work at Costco: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Costco?)
Costco Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 10:00am-8:30pm; Sat: 9:30am-6:00pm; Sun: 10:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at Costco: Cashier, deli associate, greeter, manager, pharmacy technician, stocker, truck driver
Costco Employee InterviewsListen to former employees discuss working at Costco:
Costco Employment Opportunities
Costco is an ideal place to find entry-level work in the retail industry. Applications are available online for part-time, full-time, and seasonal job openings with the chain. Expansion into new markets allows the retailer to consistently hire new employees.
Most job seekers are hired in to customer service positions or stock personnel. Both entry-level and career-level jobs exist. While most employment opportunities involve customer service, Costco also prefers to promote from within. However, manager positions can also require more education and experience to qualify.
Costco Jobs and Salary Information
You must be at least 18 years old to work at Costco. Employees earn excellent wages, get access to numerous benefits, and regularly earn promotions. Some readily available jobs include:
- Sometimes called front end associates, cashiers interact with shoppers on a daily basis.
- Duties include scanning merchandise and coupons, selling memberships, and bagging items.
- Costco employees frequently answer questions and must stand for long periods of time during a shift.
- Pay starts out around $8.00 an hour. View the Costco cashier job description for further details.
- Primary duties include moving shipments from trucks to back storage rooms.
- Workers must perform some heavy lifting and be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Costco stock associates typically earn around $10.00 per hour and work varied morning, afternoon, and overnight shifts.
- The company does require employees pass a drug test prior to being hired. Read the Costco stock associate job description to gain more insight.
- Individuals typically need proper certifications and additional schooling to apply for pharmacy jobs.
- Pharmacy technicians at Costco fill prescriptions, interact with customers, and take payments.
- Applicants should be detail-oriented, courteous, and helpful.
- Annual salaries for pharmacy technicians are between $30,000 and $40,000.
- Costco managers hire and train new employees, create work schedules, and answer customer questions.
- Salary packages typically are between $35,000 and $40,000 per year while store managers can make around $60,000.
- Workers must have experience in retail and demonstrate excellent leadership skills. Browse the Costco manager job description for a full list of requirements.
Tips For Applying
Candidates can use the Costco website to search for open positions. Log in and search for jobs by city, state, or zip code. Applicants can streamline the process by having employment history and contact information ready beforehand. Costco also offers an application form.
Job seekers receive confirmation emails after submitting applications online. Regularly check back on submissions for status updates. Following up with a phone call or visit to local Costco stores can also help in the hiring process and lead to interviews. Only visit stores during slower hours and as a last resort.
Benefits of Working at Costco
Costco offers employees healthcare, dental, vision, and life insurance plans. Qualifying workers also receive paid time off and paid vacation time. Other job benefits include employee stock purchase and 401(k) retirement plans. Full-time salaried associates are eligible for employment benefits after 30 days.
More Information on Costco
In addition to wholesale services and an online store, Costco stores also offer travel services. Customers may log on or visit store representatives to book travel packages to various locations. The services include airfare, cruise ship packages, rental cars, and hotel accommodations. Shoppers also have the ability to finance their travels at store locations, as well.