Founded in 1939, Cumberland Farms persists as a family-owned chain of convenience stores partnered with Gulf Oil. With about 600 stores in nearly a dozen states concentrated in the northeast, the growing company offers many entry-level and management opportunities.
Facts About Working at Cumberland Farms
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Cumberland Farms?)
Available Positions: Customer Service Associate, Manager in Training, Store Manager, Field Recruiter, Service Technician, Application Manager, Vehicle Technician/Mechanic, Multi-Unit Manager
Cumberland Farms Job Opportunities
Starting as an actual farm, Cumberland Farms opened the first store of the chain in 1962. The grandson of the original owners presently functions as CEO of the company. Family-oriented values, such as integrity, enthusiasm, and passion for friendly service, remain important to the everyday operation of the convenience store chain. Like-minded individuals with an interest in a cross-section of the food service and retail industries serve as perfect candidates for in-store entry-level positions. The combination convenience store and gas station commits to personal growth of employees as much as growth of the company, and opportunities to receive managerial training often arise.
Although any interested individuals remain welcome to apply, potential hires possessing previous experience in food service or retail may gain preference during the hiring process. Cumberland Farms stores stock a variety of coffee products, dairy, frozen beverages, basic groceries, and snack foods. A food service background fosters familiarity with important food storage, sanitation, and presentation regulations. Previous experience in retail implies developed customer service skills, as both food service and retail deal with fast-paced environments similar to a combination convenience store and gas station. Candidates interested in pursuing careers with the company who can demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to work in the store receive greater chance of hire.
Cumberland Farms Positions and Salary Information
Interested candidates must stand at least 18 years of age to submit an application with Cumberland Farms. Consequently, all positions with the company demand applicants possess at least a high school diploma or the equivalent in order to receive consideration. Some of the most readily available job openings include:
Customer Service Associate
- Often considered the face of the company, customer service associates see to customer needs.
- Greeting customers, answering any questions or concerns, and maintaining the cleanliness of the store stand as excellent ways to provide notable customer service and positively affect the impression the store leaves with each customer.
- Additional responsibilities may include performing regular cleaning duties like mopping or washing windows, rotating and preparing food, replenishing stock as needed, and efficiently running the cash register.
- Potential applicants should possess the ability to stand for long hours at a time, maintain flexible schedules with plenty available weekend and evening hours, and retain personable and upbeat attitudes.
- The position generally remains available in both full- and part-time capacities, with customer service associates making an average of $9.00 an hour to start.
- A transitory position, the manager-in-training role remains an integral component of the promote-from-within mentality of Cumberland Farms.
- A hands-on learning opportunity, the manager-in-training position carries out everyday responsibilities and aids the manager on duty.
- Depending on the amount of previous management experience, an individual may act as manager-in-training anywhere from three to 24 weeks.
- The position garners an hourly wage of about $12.00.
- Over the course of training, workers maintain responsibility for learning how to complete all required paperwork, conduct interviews and training sessions, assess when new stock must be ordered, and motivate store teams to meet profit goals.
- Interested candidates should possess strong organizational skills, ambition, innovation, and other leadership qualities.
Tips For Applying
The company website features a job forum where interested candidates may browse positions available in stores and in the corporate offices. In order to submit applications, potential hires must create profiles and upload resumes. One feature of the job portal remains the ability to connect to a LinkedIn or Facebook profile, which often accelerates the process of creating an account. Job candidates should review resumes for errors, inconsistencies, and missing information before uploading. Selecting language compatible with the demands of the position and highlighting any relevant past experience increases the chances of a callback.
Due to the volume of applications each store receives for a given available position, each hiring manager may not contact every applicant. While qualified candidates usually receive word about a job offer within one to two weeks of applying, individuals interested in a definite answer may call, email, or visit the store to speak with the hiring manager. Email remains a convenient and time-saving form of communication; however, potential hires may wait several days for a reply. Visiting the store may prove tricky as managers maintain many daily responsibilities and may remain unable to see interested candidates. Calling may stand the best course of action and shows respect for the time of the manager while still demonstrating genuine interest in the position.
Benefits of Working at Cumberland Farms
Even as a small and family-owned corporation, Cumberland Farms offers both full-time career professionals and part-time, entry-level employees generous work benefit packages. Employees stand qualified for health insurance which covers both dental and vision. Paid vacations, employee discounts, 401(k) plans, and worker’s compensation also remain available. Full-time employees stand eligible for life insurance, sick days, and bereavement leave, as well. Additionally, gas station associates may enjoy free beverages during shifts.
More Information on Cumberland Farms
Every year the company offers $1,000.00 scholarships for up to 130 graduating high school seniors. The award, known as Believe and Achieve Scholarship, awards young persons based on financial need and superior academic performance. To qualify for the scholarship, individuals must stand scheduled to receive a high school diploma or GED certificate, remain under the age of 25, demonstrate plans to enroll full-time at a two-year or four-year university or vocational school, maintain a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, and live within 30 miles of a Cumberland Farms location.