As a renowned express delivery and logistics company, DHL stands as one of the largest employers in the world, with more than 280,000 personnel on staff. The company provides employees with enjoyable work environments as well as a range of programs, services, benefits, and life-balance opportunities.
Facts About Working at DHL
Minimum Age to Work at DHL: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at DHL?)
DHL Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 9:00am-4:30pm; Closed Saturday and Sunday
Available Positions at DHL: Customer service representative, dockworker, home delivery driver, IT help desk support, warehouse
DHL Employee Interview Videos
DHL Job Opportunities
The company employs nearly 500,000 workers and continues to add more in various roles. DHL looks for applicants with positive attitudes and good social skills. Many office-based jobs require the ability to work in a diverse environment. Warehouse, dock, and delivery positions involve some manual labor, including lifting heavy materials on a regular basis.
The company’s size and diversity of services means that job seekers can find a variety of work. Both full-time and part-time positions, as well as paid internships, are available. The possibility for travel can also exist due to the fact that DHL works internationally.
DHL Positions and Salary Information
Applicants must pass pre-employment screenings including background checks, drug tests, and medical physicals. Typical job opportunities include:
IT Help Desk Support
- Employees work with customers over the phone to help resolve problems, maintain company databases, and record inventory.
- Being bilingual as well as having good customer service and problem-solving skills are valued traits.
- IT help desk employees work full-time for DHL and earn between $15.00 and $18.00 per hour.
Home Delivery Driver
- Workers deliver packages in company-provided vehicles.
- DHL home delivery drivers start out making an hourly wage around $13.00 and can make as much as $23.00 an hour over time.
- Employees must be reliable, able to follow directions, work unsupervised, and have strong customer service skills.
- Employees must be 18 years or older and usually start around $11.00 an hour.
- Job duties include sorting, packing, loading, and unloading freight. DHL dockworkers also use scanners to record shipping information and operate forklifts.
- This is a labor intensive job, so applicants should be able to stoop and bend for much of the workday.
Tips For Applying
Applicants can apply online or at a DHL location. All job-seekers are asked to include a resume with their application. Candidates can build a resume as part of their profile when applying online. Hiring managers also ask for a letter of motivation, which is similar to a cover letter.
Candidates can use the online application tracking system to check the status of their forms. The company regular updates the system to reflect changes or current openings. Calling or visiting a DHL location is acceptable, as well.
Benefits of Working at DHL
Full-time and many part-time positions receive access to employment benefits, including 401(k) retirement plans, health insurance, and dental insurance. Most positions also get vacation, paid time off, paid holidays, family medical leave, and tuition assistance. DHL employees can expect paid training and employee discounts on shipping services, as well.
More Information on DHL
DHL is committed to the environment and works with customers to reduce greenhouse gases through low-emission vehicles and energy-efficient warehouses. Applicants with a similar passion for environmental safety may be able to show that they share the company’s strong values through mentioning volunteer work in a job interview or a letter of motivation.