With over 550 locations, Dick's Sporting Goods remains a steady source of entry-level and professional jobs. The Fortune 500 company employs over 30,000 employees and continuously hires new workers. Employment opportunities predominantly exist in the Eastern United States.
Facts About Working at Dick's Sporting Goods
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Dick's Sporting Goods?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Dick’s Sporting Goods Employee Interview Videos
Job Opportunities with Dick’s Sporting Goods
The company seeks driven and committed workers with a passion for sports and outdoors. Jobs and careers prove attainable for applicants meeting Dick’s standards and ideals, such as dedication to strong sales skills and personable interaction. Associates remain required to promote the values of the brand and reliably perform in customer service settings to ensure satisfaction and repeat visits. Attractive work options persist for individuals with sales experience as well as young employment hopefuls seeking first-time positions.
Dick’s Sporting Goods continues to prosper as a company and constantly seeks individuals for employment. The retail chain divides stores into several departments, including exercise, team sports, footwear, and outdoors. Some categories may further subdivide into more specific sections, such as fishing, soccer, and Pilates, and employees often specialize in sales of particular items. Employees should expect to maintain in-depth knowledge of various departments. Additionally, workers should retain a general familiarity with the general inventory of the store and expert awareness of assigned areas.
Dick’s Sporting Goods Employment and Pay Scales
A majority of retail stores under company control prove expansive, and the sporting industry leader needs personnel to staff outlets. Job seekers regularly benefit from applying to entry-level positions through the company. The most consistently obtainable positions with Dick’s remain the following:
- Cashiers process monetary transactions and provide patrons with purchase receipts at the point of sale, or POS.
- Employees must provide cordial and efficient customer service at POS stations.
- Workers should expect to suggest sales incentives to clientele, such as Dick’s ScoreCards, which function as free, purchased-based savings memberships, along with warranty plans and gift cards.
- Bagging items also typically falls to cash-handling employees.
- Candidates fare better when applying with one to two years of previous retail experience.
- Often a part time role, cashier jobs yield wages of about $8.50 per hour.
- Sales associates work specific departments in Dick’s stores to provide customers with assistance and insight on products.
- In addition to remaining knowledgeable about items to better promote the goods to patrons, workers must often monitor stock and cleanliness of selling areas.
- Through in-house promotion, associates with sufficient tenure may advance to sales lead positions, though qualified candidates may apply for leader jobs outright.
- Sales leaders head departmental operations and answer questions from other employees working in the same sections of stores.
- Sales associates must provide exceptional customer service.
- Associates make about $9.00 hourly, while sales leaders earn salary options typically ranging from $22,000 to $24,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
Individuals passionate about physical activities, such as canoeing, hiking, and fishing, generally make better employees with Dick’s Sporting Goods. Hiring managers often ask related questions on sports, fitness, and outdoor subjects. Human resources specialists place workers into different departments based on knowledge and experience with specific products and disciplines, so applicants should mention any relevant inclinations or hobbies. The company also values workers committed to athletics, customer service, and corporate standards. Wear business-casual clothing to interviews and remain professional. Applicants should stand at least 18 years of age to stand considered for employment.
After applying online, work hopefuls may follow up in store or by telephone if the statuses of applications remain unclear. Hiring managers often stay busy during peak hours of store activity, so job seekers should use discretion when attempting to contact staffing personnel or risk becoming a nuisance. Applicants should also remain prepared for the possibility of multiple interviews, as the recruiting process may take up to a month in some cases.
Benefits of Working at Dick’s
Employees enjoy performance-based pay increases, flexible scheduling, and paid training along with several other competitive job benefits. Part-time workers normally remain eligible for:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Workers’ compensation
- Short-term disability coverage, and
- Store discounts.
Full-time associates also gain medical and dental coverage, adoption assistance, and leaves of absence. Additionally, employees receiving annual salary pay and attending school may qualify for tuition reimbursement.
More Details on Dick’s Sporting Goods
Dick’s Sporting Goods customers may purchase items from the ESPN Fan Shop on the website for the retail chain. Merchandise from organizations ranging from the NFL and NBA to the World Cup features prominently on the online store. Customers enjoy free shipping on goods bought through the page, and the company also offers a clearance section for consumers with limited budgets. Player-specific jerseys and memorabilia stand available, as well. Corporate headquarters for the sporting retailer rest in Coraopolis, PA.