Based in Little Rock, Arkansas, Dillard's operates as an upscale department store chain with more than 300 stores in around 30 states. Offering a variety of contemporary fashions for men and women, the department store also carries arrays of bedding, furniture, jewelry, and footwear options. With consistent sales in the hundred-millions, the retailer frequently hires on new staff at the store level.
Facts About Working at Dillard's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Dillard's?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate, Assistant Store manager, Store Manager
Dillard’s Interview Videos
Dillard’s Job Opportunities
Candidates displaying excellent communication skills and energetic, personable attitudes represent the type of entry-level employee Dillard’s seeks to fill in-store positions. Workers typically fill sales associate positions, stock jobs, and customer service roles within the department store chain. Though entry-level job descriptions rarely demand prior work experience, applicants with knowledge of current fashion trends and excellent interpersonal skills typically perform well as sales associates. The retailer provides excellent continuing education programs to ensure employee success.
Dillard’s hires on qualified individuals to maintain the business side of the department store industry. The ability to identify current trends in buying and the capacity to hire and lead teams prove paramount skill sets for managers at the department store chain. In order to work as a manager, applicants must possess four-year college degrees and previous retail management experience. Careers in management vary from department manager jobs, which involve responsibility for running each individual store department and corresponding subordinate employees to store manager positions responsible for entire store productivity and continued retail success.
Dillard’s Positions and Salary Information
The minimum age to qualify for employment consideration stands at 18 years old. Credentials for basic job titles prove minimal, while managerial aspirants may need previous retail and educational experience to qualify for upper-level positions. Applicants may fill out and submit hiring forms online or in store. Job seekers may apply online for positions such as:
- Sales associates work as the face of the department store chain.
- Operating as entry-level employees, primary responsibilities include greeting and interacting with customers, helping procure appropriate purchases through suggestive selling, and correctly cashing out final selections.
- Employees should hold workable knowledge of current fashions, trends, and styles.
- Other responsibilities include controlling inventory, strategically merchandising via product placement, and maintaining store cleanliness.
- Sales associates typically earn between $10.00 and $11.00 an hour to start.
- Operating as customer service representatives, sales support associates work from a service desk assisting customers with various transactions, directing consumers to appropriate departments, and answering client inquiries.
- Employees must display friendly dispositions, maintain knowledge of current fashion trends, and routinely act as cashiers.
- Basic math skills remain a must, as sales support associates balance ledgers, cash drawers, and prepare financial deposits.
- Employees working sales support positions earn hourly wages between $9.00 and $10.00.
- With various titles extending from department manager up to store manager, the retail chain management personnel must possess exceptional leadership abilities and well-rounded understandings of the retail industry.
- Responsibilities range from supervising subordinate staff members to ensuring profitability, managing labor costs, and executing corporate goals for sustained success.
- Managers typically hire on and train new staff and continuously coach workers in order to make ensure high levels of productivity.
- Salary options begin around $40,000 per year for department managers and increase to about $50,000 annually for assistant store managers.
- Store managers often earn in excess of $85,000 in annual salary.
Tips for Applying
The retailer allows job seekers to fill out application forms in person or online in order to secure positions. In either format, candidates should complete the forms clearly to increase the chance of moving on with the hiring process. Provide as much detail as necessary and write in decipherable manners if filling out the forms by hand. Always indicate open availability and emphasize any previous experience in sales or customer service, if possible. Communicating flexible schedules typically proves beneficial to candidates and often increases the probability of a job offer.
As with other department stores, hiring processes vary by location. Depending on need, certain stores hire on the spot after initial interviews, and applying in person often proves beneficial. Hiring managers typically contact applicants for interviews within a week to two weeks of receiving applications. As a general rule, applicants should follow up with the store by phone or in person after seven to ten days of not hearing from a hiring manager. Focus contact on establishing time frames for hiring processes and confirming appropriate and respectful contact for ensuing steps leading up to hire.
Benefits of Working at Dillard’s
Both part-time and full-time associates appreciate competitive salaries, team environments, and access to the latest fashions and trends. Eligible employees earn comprehensive job benefits, including:
- 401(k) retirement plans with company match,
- Paid vacation, and
- Employee assistance programs.
Team members also enjoy store discounts, paid training, and flexible scheduling. Qualifying workers may enroll in company healthcare coverage, such as medical, dental, and vision plans.
Additional Information about Dillard’s
Dillard’s offers a store-exclusive credit card through American Express. Customers using the card for store-specific purposes earn point rewards toward future purchases, shopping passes, and rewards certificates. Cardholders also enjoy amenities like free shipping, free gift wrapping, and invitations to private shopping events. Customers receive updates, special offers, and travel benefits via email once signed up.