Make More Money!
Learn How to Become a Pharmacy Tech
Discount Drug Mart operates as a retail chain comprised of nearly 70 locations throughout the State of Ohio. Applicants living in The Buckeye State or looking for new lines of work domestically often encounter excellent part-time and full-time job prospects offering competitive wages.
Facts About Working at Discount Drug Mart
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Discount Drug Mart?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Cashier, Assistant Manager, Manager, Pharmacist, Pharmacy Technician
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Discount Drug Mart Job Opportunities
Low price points, diverse product selections, and convenient locations make Discount Drug Mart highly attractive to customers. Patrons enjoy home, health, and beauty products, automotive, lawn and garden merchandise, and miscellaneous household goods as well as pharmacy services and photo labs. Work environments center primarily on sales and customer service. The traditional retail settings of most stores cater to individuals who enjoy working with the general public. At start, most associates work part-time and move into full-time hours with experience, which makes available employment opportunities ideal for high school and college students or individuals looking to supplement existing incomes. Entry-level applicants need to possess flexible schedules and reliable means of transportation for employment consideration.
Additional job opportunities include careers in management. Motivated and experienced workers may fill out applications for shift supervisor and store manager positions. While no real work history proves necessary to land an entry-level position with the retailer, a prospective manager needs related background in retail, sales, or leadership and at least a high school-equivalent education. Current Discount Drug Mart entry-level employees receive paid training upon hire, with opportunities for continued development and advancement into supervisory positions available through proven performance.
Discount Drug Mart Employment and Wages Information
Workers as young as 16 may find gainful employment with the retailer by obtaining special permits through local governments. However, the minimum age for employment consideration rests at 18 for a majority of jobs available, especially full-time roles. A list of the most common entry-level positions for hire follows:
- Hourly pay rates for cashiers start and minimum wage and rise with experience.
- Job duties place cashier associates at store frontends processing payments on computerized cash registers.
- Cashers also return unwanted items to shelves and organize point-of-sales merchandise racks.
- In some cases, the employees handle returns.
- Additional responsibilities include sales and general stocking tasks.
- Basic math and computer skills prove necessary for employment.
- Applicants should also enjoy working with others, communicating with customers, and standing in place for long periods of time.
- Personable and outgoing individuals fare best during the hiring process.
- The supporting role of pharmacy technician provides expert assistance to fully licensed pharmacists on location.
- Workers must possess four-year degrees in pharmacology or related fields and professional certification in order to receive formal review.
- Daily tasks include retrieving and preparing prescriptions, explaining allergy information and possible drug interactions, and operating cash registers to ring up transactions.
- Pharmacy technicians may work part-time or full-time and generally earn between $20,000 and $30,000 annual salary.
How Do You Become a Pharmacy Tech?
- Base-level managerial careers include key holder and assistant manager jobs.
- With experience, current employees may declare interest in store manager positions for promotion into the roles.
- Discount Drug Mart also accepts outside applications for supervisory positions.
- Job seekers must possess some prior background managing others in the retail industry and display excellent leadership, organizational, and mentorship abilities.
- Schedule availability also factors into overall hiring decisions, as managers often assume night, weekend, and holiday shifts.
- Typical duties include training new workers, setting schedules, ordering merchandise, coordinating shipments, opening and closing stores, and processing payroll.
- Key holders make between $10.00 and $11.00 an hour, while assistant store managers and store managers earn anywhere from $$25,000 year up to $50,000 over time.
Tips For Applying
Applicants undergo strict onboarding procedures prior to gaining statuses as full employees. Hiring methods include in-person interviews and job assessments, depending on position desired. Workers must also consent to drug screening, which remains mandatory for both part-time and full-time associates at every level of operations. Individuals unwilling to submit to drug screening often lose eligibility for employment.
Most entry-level positions require printing out or picking up physical copies of the company application forms to complete and turn in directly to hiring personnel. After handing in the forms, workers may call or visit locations to speak with future managers personally. In-store visits represent the most personable and advantageous ways to lobby for employment, as applicants using the method possess the ability to demonstrate interpersonal skills and show determination, added interest, and initiative to work for the prominent chain of drug stores.
Benefits of Working at Discount Drug Mart
Initial work benefits enjoyed by part-time and full-time workers regardless of position include flexible hours, competitive base pay, discounts on merchandise, and opportunities for advancement. Locations boast fun and collaborative environments conducive to both long-term careers and meaningful short-term options. Individuals in full-time roles also gain access to employment benefits packages, including:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off, and
- Healthcare coverage.
More Details on Discount Drug Mart
As a way to give back to surrounding communities, Discount Drug Mart partners with area hospitals to sponsor free walk-in clinics at participating stores. The walk-in clinics allow customers to receive diagnosis and treatment for minor illnesses and chronic conditions, such as allergies, colds, flus, rashes and other dermatological issues, and sinus infections. Stores in Cuyahoga County represented the first locations to offer the free clinics, with plans to expand the program throughout the State of Ohio in the near future.