Dole Foods stands as the largest producer and marketer of fruits and vegetables in the world and employs over 35,000 full-time employees. Bright, creative, and energetic associates work to fulfill the company vision of supplying high-quality produce in ethical and ecologically friendly manners.
Facts About Working at Dole
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Dole?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Customer Service Representative, Administrative Assistant, Customer Service Coordinator, Quality Assurance Supervisor, Associate Business Manager, Business Process Manager, Fruit Technician, International Tax Manager, Category Manager, Business Analyst, Plant Engineer, Sales Manager, Safe Quality Food Supervisor, Buyer, Replenishment Specialist, Human Resources Manager, Spinach/Spring Mix Supervisor
Dole Job Opportunities
Beginning on the Island of Hawaii in 1851, Dole operates worldwide as an industry leader. The fruit producer posted revenues of nearly $7 billion in 2010 thanks to the efforts of workers committed to making the company a success. In addition to growing and marketing food, the company leads the industry in research and innovation. Associates continuously improve the company and the lives of consumers through food safety programs, scientific crop protection programs, stringent quality control measures, and state-of-the-art production technologies.
In addition to the thousands of permanent full-time workers, Dole hires as many as 23,000 other full-time workers on a seasonal basis. Employees from 90 different countries around the world make up teams dedicated to producing safe, quality food products and leading the industry in nutrition research and education. The company holds a long-standing reputation of ethical excellence in dealings with consumers, workers, social matters, and the environment. Associates benefit from an open and respectful relationship with the employer.
Dole Employment Openings and Salary Options
The produce manufacturer hires diverse individuals to fill positions in many different disciplines, such as agriculture and sales. Qualified job-seekers may find employment in the following areas:
Strawberry Farm Manager
- Strawberry farm managers direct agricultural activities of strawberry farming programs.
- Planning, hiring farmhands, and directing agricultural operations to ensure maximum profitability encompass the core duties of the job.
- Workers follow the guidance of the Senior Director of Berry Services for the berry division of Dole Berry Company.
- Associates stand responsible for managing planting and cultivation programs for strawberries, coordinating fruit production with marketing programs, directing the harvesting, packaging, and shipping of fresh strawberries, administering operating budgets, ensuring compliance with good agricultural practices, and maintaining safe working conditions for employees.
- Individuals holding bachelor’s degrees in agricultural disciplines, certifications in pesticide application, a minimum of five years of agricultural management experience, and knowledge of strawberries may expect to earn average salary options of $45,000 a year.
Assistant Ripening Manager
- Dole Foods sells millions of tons of bananas every year, and ensuring ripeness proves essential to delivering consistently quality products.
- Assistant ripening managers handle banana operations, oversee quality inspections, coordinate with banana handlers in regard to conditioning fruit and loading ripening rooms, perform daily inventory management, and maintain documented sanitation programs. Handling banana-related tasks may require associates to work non-standard business hours.
- Candidates holding bachelor’s degrees in business or agriculture, or at least three years of produce handling experience, may earn yearly salary packages of $43,000.
- Qualified individuals must possess good communications skills, proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, and must understand the color progression of ripening bananas.
- Sales trainees focus on learning the sales process by working closely with district sales managers to achieve volume and revenue goals as well as provide support to customers.
- Candidates must exhibit excellent communication and analytical skills, command basic knowledge of Dole products and services, and demonstrate passion for customer service.
- Daily responsibilities include conducting collections, reporting and negotiating credits, participating in weekly pricing and volume negotiations, maintaining positive business relationships with customers, preparing presentations on market conditions, assisting in retail store audits, and participating in new store openings, food shows, and other promotional events.
- Promising employees may earn upwards of $40,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
Passionate, respectful, and honest candidates may apply online for jobs with Dole. The online application allows individuals to create job agents, which email job openings to applicants when positions matching individual skill sets become available. Candidates may also browse open job listings without the aid of job agents and submit resumes and cover letters via online application forms instead. Prospective workers should prepare to undergo multiple face-to-face or conference call interactions during the interview process.
Applicants who choose to use online job agents receive email updates about openings and may receive email notifications about application statuses, as well. Depending on the jobs applied for, some candidates may hear back within a few days, while others may not hear any status updates for several weeks, as human resources personnel review applications and decide which candidates to interview. Placing phone calls or sending emails to ask about application status may prove ineffective for a company as large as Dole Foods.
Work Benefits at Dole
Dole treats employees ethically and shows the utmost respect for the associates who make up the successful global team. After a 30-day waiting period, full-time associates receive medical insurance and other perks, such as:
- Dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance programs, and
- 401(k) retirement plans.
Additional job benefits include flexible time off, paid vacation, and tuition assistance.
Additional Info about Dole
The major horticulture producer recognizes the importance of caring for the environment while harvesting fruits and vegetables from the Earth. Dole spearheads sustainability initiatives, such as water management, carbon footprint reduction, soil conservation, and ecologically friendly packaging. Conducting good agricultural practices means using responsible pest management methods to maximize crop yields while limiting hazards to workers, local residents, consumers, and the environment.