Dollar General is a leading employer in discount retail chains and always looking to fill entry-level positions. The application process is easy and convenient using the company's online job portal or by applying in person at one of its over 13,000 locations.
Facts About Working at Dollar General
Minimum Age to Work at Dollar General: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Dollar General?)
Dollar General Hours of Operation: Open every day: 8:00am-9:00pm
Available Positions at Dollar General: Sales Associate, Cashier, Stocker, Shift Leader, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, District Manager, Store Merchandiser, Warehouse Supervisor, Operations Manager, Inbound/Outbound Manager
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
Dollar General Employee Interview VideosWatch video of former Dollar General Employees:
Dollar General Job Opportunities
Qualifications & Requirements
Applicants need to be at least 18 years old. Entry-level jobs typically do not require previous experience.
Store associates perform multiple job duties on a daily basis, from assuring various levels of customer service to cashiering and stocking. Dollar General employees should have positive attitudes and like working in fast-paced environments. Store management looks for good communication and listening skills along with a teamwork mentality.
Job seekers can apply for part-time and full-time positions. While the company does offer flexibility with your scheduling, most employees will be required to work some evening and weekend shifts.
Promotes from Within
Dollar General prides itself on promoting from within, creating opportunities to advance into management for qualified candidates.
Dollar General Positions and Salary Information
The following positions are typically available at each Dollar General store:
- Dollar General cashiers ring up purchases and answer questions about merchandise, sales, and store policies.
- Job seekers must work fast and efficiently and regularly stand for entire shifts.
- No real experience is necessary for hiring consideration.
- The average cashier starts out at minimum wage and can expect pay raises up to $9.00 per hour.
- Browse the Dollar General cashier job description.
- Sales associates help customers by answering questions, finding requested items, restocking shelves, and completing sales.
- Additional duties may include unloading trucks and organizing merchandise in storage rooms.
- Basic math skills are required to work registers.
- Dollar General sales associates typically start at minimum hourly wage.
- The Dollar General sales associate job description provides additional details for this position
- Or take a look at the Dollar General stocker job description for more opportunities.
- Dollar General managers keep records of inventory and sales, complete team member schedules, and supervise all employees.
- Other duties include interacting with customers, hiring qualified candidates, and performing duties to support store associates.
- With bonus potential, managers can often earn pay of around $50,000 a year.
- See the Dollar General manager job description to learn about requirements, pay, and typical duties.
Tips For Applying
Dollar General offers a career section on its website that helps applicants easily apply online. Individuals can filter available positions based on their location. Filling out a paper application form in store may help speed up the hiring process, even giving you an opportunity to meet with the hiring manager.
Interviews and hiring are based on the individual needs of each store. Applicants should typically expect to hear back from managers within a few weeks.
Candidates should follow up in person at the Dollar General store they applied to or by calling no more than one week following the last interview. Applicants should plan any follow-up visits during slower retail hours.
Dollar General Employment Benefits
In addition to competitive salary packages, full-time Dollar General employees are able to receive healthcare coverage including medical, dental, and vision insurances along with access to company sponsored wellness programs.
Workers who qualify can enroll in the company’s 401(k) retirement plans which offer up to a 5% company match.
Other job benefits include long and short-term disability, life insurance, and paid time off.
Additional Information About Dollar General
The publicly traded company is headquartered in Goodlettsville, TN. Dollar General reported profits of nearly $6 billion in 2015. The chain continues to expand and has even launched a new brand of Dollar General Markets that feature the addition of a larger grocery section.