Founded in Stamford, CT, in 1962, dressbarn operates as a retail outlet for fashion-conscious women. The company appeals to adult female patrons of all ages and sizes from plus-size to petite. Corporate headquarters sit in Mahwah, NJ.
Facts About Working at Dressbarn
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Dressbarn?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Key Holder, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, E-Commerce Merchandising Support Associate, Assistant Buyer, Buyer, Database Marketing Analyst, Tax Analyst, Designer, Associate Print Designer, Compensation Coordinator, District Sales Leader, Intern, Corporate Compensation Manager, Direct Channel Operations Manager, Merchandise Planner, Direct Merchandiser, Store Maintenance Coordinator
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
dressbarn Job Opportunities
A typical work day at dressbarn centers on customer service, with knowledgeable employees assisting patrons in finding appropriate and desirable clothing. Motivated and friendly individuals with aptitudes for sales regularly receive job offers to work for the fashion retail chain. Workers focus efforts on uplifting the self-images and self-esteems of customers through promotion of available merchandise, which includes shoes, jewelry, and accessories along with the signature dresses and feminine attire. Associates remain standing and moving for most of each day and should possess familiarity with the different departments found in store, as duties often include directing shoppers to specific areas and displays. Job seekers aware of new styles and trendy looks may thrive with the retailer, as the company updates inventory regularly to reflect new designs and fads.
Over 800 locations in 47 states create widespread job opportunities with dressbarn across the nation. Some outlets stand alone or in shopping plazas, while other storefronts operate within malls, capitalizing on the largest potential for customer bases. Applicants normally must stand at least 16 years of age to apply for work with the fashion chain. However, certain positions and locations may require older candidates, such as employment openings existing at the main company office in New Jersey.
dressbarn Positions and Salary Information
Full-time and part-time openings, for both entry-level and experienced career workers, exist at dressbarn. Work available mainly revolves around customer satisfaction. Available positions include sales associate, assistant manager, stock worker, and store leader. Management often favors female job hunters; however, the retail chain imposes hiring procedures reflecting equal opportunity laws. The most common positions for hire include:
- Sales associates make up a majority of workers at dressbarn.
- Along with assisting customers with insight and fashion knowledge to help people make satisfying purchases, sales associates also process returned items and often perform cashier duties.
- Cashier responsibilities include taking payments, making change, and bagging items for patrons.
- Most sales associates earn between $7.00 and $10.00 per hour.
- Stock workers keep the merchandise and displays set up in a visually pleasing way, while also making sure items remain accessible to customers.
- The employees must possess the strength to consistently lift light to moderate weight loads while carrying items around the store.
- Periodically, stock workers may need to work from a ladder.
- Pay for individuals working in stock usually ranges from minimum wage to around $13.00 per hour.
- Assistant managers complement the efforts of store leaders and directly oversee the work of the subordinate employees.
- The training and consistent improvement of staffs remain constant processes for assistant managers.
- Creating respectful work environments and remaining open about policies improves the retail experience for customers and workers alike.
- Two to four years of supervisory retail experience proves a preferred quality for hire.
- Typical pay for assistant managers stands between $12.00 and $15.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Potential hires must possess keen fashion sensibilities and aptitudes for customer service. Knowledge of how to handle different patron needs and wants relating to fashion proves make-or-break for employment in both entry-level roles and professional careers with the retail chain. Job hopefuls should also expect to answer questions and take computer tests about fashion, retail, and customer service. Wearing brand clothing and accessories to interviews may show commitment to the position and the company. Clothing worn throughout the hiring process should include semi-professional styles.
The dressbarn career website features listings for job openings sorted by location. Applicants must make accounts on the site to complete and submit forms. Applications usually stand available in-person at stores, as well. Follow-up calls and going in to check on status may aid aspirants in keeping track of of the hiring process. Regular follow up shows the employer interest and dedication to the position.
Benefits of Working at dressbarn
Full-time dressbarn employees enjoy competitive work benefits, including:
- Dental and vision insurance coverage.
Tuition reimbursement and scholarship programs for employee dependents may assist workers attending school or struggling with student loans for individuals or children. 401(k) retirement plans, and paid time off stand available, as well. While most benefits generally only apply to full-time staff members, part-time employees receive merchandise discounts, which often reach in excess of 40% items in stock.
More Information on dressbarn
In efforts to give back and champion praiseworthy causes, dressbarn supports the American Cancer Society through charitable acts such as fundraising and participation in the annual Relay for Life event. The business also backs the Breast Cancer Awareness campaign. In addition to philanthropy, the retain chain keeps temp positions available to aid workers in between jobs or need long-term work. A subsidiary of the Ascena Retail Group, the company maintains a presence on social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, and a mobile fashion app.
I applied at dress barn (won’t mention the location), you had to be 21 yrs old!!! But the job description says 18 yrs and older.
Drusilla Larsen says:
Full time assistant Manager at Dress barn at Southlands for 7 years
Drusilla larsen says:
Full Time assistant manager for 7 years. Did everything the store manager did. Loved the job and the perks. Went out on a medical leave to have 2 hips replaced.