A chain of more than 75 upscale health clubs in the U.S. and Canada, Equinox Fitness boasts close to 20,000 employees and consistently hires on new staff to fill entry-level and career-level positions. Most of the fitness centers operate in major cities, which provides easy access to available jobs.
Facts About Working at Equinox
Minimum Age to Work at Equinox: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Equinox?)
Equinox Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs: 5:00am-10:00pm; Fri: 5:00am-9:00pm; Sat-Sun: 7:00am-8:00pm
Available Positions at Equinox: Sales Associate, Membership Advisor, Personal Trainer, Personal Training Manager, Area Manager, Assistant General Manager, General Manager, Group Fitness Instructor, Group Fitness Manager, Shop Manager, Spa Desk Associate, Spa Manager, Spa Therapist, Esthetician, Spa Coordinator, Maintenance Technician, Maintenance Manager
Equinox Job Opportunities
Equinox Fitness centers provide posh, modern atmospheres featuring the latest exercise equipment and fully trained staffs. Club members enjoy interactive group classes, personalized training, in-house Pilates studios, and relaxing spas. Wildly diverse services and growing membership enrollments require each gym to consistently hire on new workers. Most of the jobs available require intensive training prior to and/or during employment. Applicants must enjoy direct contact with others, including team-oriented environments and working one-on-one with guests, to fully cater to member needs. Candidates should also remain fluent in fitness industry trends and find personal enjoyment in exercise, nutrition, relaxation, and other forms of wellness.
Active lifestyles play essential roles in overall hiring decisions. Prospective associates must show motivated, energetic, personable, and self-starting attitudes in order to gain serious consideration for employment. Lively, trendy, and contemporary company cultures dictate daily operations and require employees to balance friendship and professionalism with clients at all times. Main divisions of labor include sales, personal training and instruction, and club leadership. Both part-time and full-time roles stand readily available, including entry-level employment opportunities for inexperienced workers and career-oriented jobs for applicants with expansive backgrounds in the industry.
Equinox Employment and Pay Scales
Health and fitness clubs like Equinox routinely set the minimum hiring age at 18. Applicants must also hold proper certifications in AED, CPR, and First Aid in order to gain employment, in most cases. Employees receive complimentary club memberships, paid training, and discounts on services in addition to competitive pay. The prominent fitness chain needs to hire for the following positions:
- Also known as sales advisors, membership advisors explain, sell, and offer assistance regarding club memberships.
- The entry-level job requires adept sales abilities, open availability, strong notions of teamwork, and personal interests in health and fitness.
- Job duties primarily place membership advisors at gym front desks interacting with the general public.
- Some minor lifting may occur throughout any given shift; however, most responsibilities simply involve standing, talking with patrons, and entering information into computerized data bases.
- Membership advisors may work part-time or full-time.
- Hours largely depend on availability.
- Pay scales include annual salary options reaching in excess of $30,000 with experience.
- Equinox personal trainers assist patrons in reaching health and fitness goals through instruction, demonstration, and guidance.
- Overall earnings remain strictly based on individual performance.
- However, workers need no real experience in the field prior to employment, aside from certifications in CPR, First Aid, and related disciplines.
- Some familiarity with both modern and traditional exercise equipment proves necessary in most cases to ensure the safe and accurate administering of fitness plans.
- Associates rely almost exclusively on self-promotion to gain clientele, so applicants must possess excellent networking abilities in order to thrive in the role.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should prepare to spend at least some portion of initial onsite encounters with hiring personnel on walking tours of desired gym facilities. Former personal trainer candidates also cite the importance of preparing action plans to highlight during the interview process. The best way to find available fitness jobs through the health club chain includes logging on the company website and clicking on the Careers tab toward the bottom of the homepage. Prospective associates may inquire about availability onsite; however, hiring personnel may redirect interested parties to the web-based job portal to formally submit employment documents.
Job seekers must create user profiles through a third-party hosting site in order to apply for available positions. Once created, the profiles allow candidates to submit hiring forms for multiple employment opportunities and check on the statuses of outstanding applications. Interested applicants may also call, email, or visit locations in person to further establish rapports with hiring personnel. Most entry-level jobs require only a week or two of screening prior to receiving final employment decisions, while potential managers may spend as much as two months going through the necessary processes. Phone calls placed a day or two after submitting hiring forms or personal visits may increase the likelihood of consideration.
Benefits of Working at Equinox
Equinox fitness centers care for employees and offer sound employment benefits packages on top of lucrative base pay and salary options. Associates enjoy access to:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Dental and vision coverage, and
- Continuous incentive programs based on service
- Sales, and
- Overall performance
Workers also receive discounts on classes, personal training, and merchandise sold at in-house retail stores.
Further Details on Equinox
The prominent New York-based chain of fitness clubs maintains a popular blog called Q dedicated to various aspects of health, wellness, and fulfilled living. Club members and health enthusiasts alike may log onto Q and read up on the latest trends in training, diet, apparel, and exercise philosophy. The blog also provides product reviews and video tutorials demonstrating exercises and workout plans. Celebrities regularly contribute to the blog and highlight favorite playlists to listen to while exercising, as well.