Offering reasonably priced retail items crafted to exhibit the latest trends and styles, Express sells clothing and other merchandise within most American, Canadian, and Puerto Rican shopping malls. The company constantly seeks entry-level job candidates to fills positions within all areas of the business from retail stores to design studios to home offices.
Facts About Working at Express
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Express?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Express Employee Interview Videos
Express Job Opportunities
As one of the largest specialty retailers in the U.S., Express operates 600 stores globally with help from talented and committed employees. In return, the company grants generous work benefits and training/support programs so workers may reach maximum potential. Opportunities within various departments allow job seekers to find fitting positions specific to skillsets. Persons seeking roles requiring little customer interaction may find success within stock expert positions, while management positions require supervisory backgrounds. Style knowledge also proves favorable for candidates filling any openings within the company, but stylists must display an even stronger sense of fashion.
Part-time sales associate positions often prove the most easily accessed and may lead to full-time employment. Seasonal part-time and full-time options may appeal to college or high school students hoping to work during academic breaks and summers. Advancement opportunities remain frequent for dedicated workers, as Express prefers to promote from within. Persons interested in careers with the company should access the job portal online in order to apply for open positions.
Express Positions and Salary Information
Candidates must stand at least 16 years old to gain company consideration for employment. Most entry-level employees find sales associate, stylist, and stock expert positions attractive, as none require previous working experience. Management roles often require a retail and supervisory background, however, promotions to such positions may occur for dedicated staff members. A list of openings frequently available to job seekers sits below:
- As one of the most vital representations of the brand, sales associates interact with and assist customers to ensure satisfaction and retention.
- Workers must prove attentive to guest needs and cash register duties.
- During slow business hours, sales associates should deliver attention to store upkeep by stocking shelves, folding and organizing merchandise by size, and providing cleaning services.
- Sales associates may begin careers receiving minimum wage.
- Pay may rise to $11.00 an hour.
- Stock experts ensure the availability of all sizes and styles by replenishing shelves and racks for customer convenience.
- Workers must also ensure all products receive processing in accordance to UPH standards and new products receive appropriate placement on sales floors upon arrival and processing.
- Stock experts often receive hourly pay between $8.00 and $14.00.
- Through personal fashion knowledge, stylists assist customers with item selections.
- Hovering within the dressing room area of the store, workers use strategic selling techniques in order to provide customers with personalized selections tailored to match body types and interpreted styles.
- Through careful tactics, employees may influence sales while providing customers with an ideal dressing room experience.
- Stylists may receive pay wages between $8.00 and $10.00 an hour.
- Express managers take responsibility for ensuring smooth operations at retail stores.
- At every location, the company employs one store manager and up to seven co-managers.
- Store managers oversee workers, promote company standards, and contribute to building the corporate brand.
- To accomplish such responsibilities, personnel to hire, develop, and retain talented workers, maximize sales potential by inspiring the team, and manage expenses, loss prevention, and merchandise flow.
- Applicants must possess three to five years of previous store management experience to receive employment consideration.
- Co-managers often assist on the supervisory side of operations by helping store managers through hiring new staff members and overseeing worker performances.
- Store managers may receive salary pay between $49,000 and $57,000, while co-managers often receive hourly wages between $19.00 and $22.00.
Tips For Applying
Job seekers may access the Express job portal by clicking the careers tab at the bottom of the company homepage. Upon locating a position of interest, users may click the Apply Online button to initiate the process. Prior to filling out the form, applicants should ready current and accurate resumes in addition to education and employment history information for form completion purposes. Employment potentials may also find success when applying in person at store locations of desired hire. Candidates should wear company brand clothing or attire of a similar style during inquiry visits in order to fit the employee image.
Hiring personnel should contact applicants of interest via phone or email within a week or two of receiving completed forms, at which time job potentials may receive offers of employment or invitations to interview with managers. Proper dress should occur once again to secure position placement. If an applicant does not receive contact within this time frame, a phone call or in-person visit to the store to inquire about the status of the application may prove beneficial. If a position does not currently exist, job hopefuls may try again in the future or fill out an application form for a different position.
Benefits of Working at Express
Express provides employees with the opportunity to train within the retail industry while receiving generous pay and job benefits. Eligible employees gain access to work benefits packages including:
- Dental and vision coverage
- Life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Health care and dependent care
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter accommodations
- Adoption assistance and merchandise discounts
Specific employment benefits and discounts on merchandise may vary by position.
More Information on Express
Express rewards loyal customers with discounts, birthday gifts, and shipping deals through the Express Next program. For every dollar spent, customers receive 10 points toward accounts, and after racking up 2500 points, a $10.00 credit applies toward any purchase. Members pay no cost to join and may enroll online or through any sales associate. Customers must use pending points within a year before credit expires.