As a subsidiary of ExxonMobil, the gas station and convenience store chain Exxon maintains nearly 10,000 locations nationwide. The chain frequently hires new employees including entry-level employees seeking opportunities and profession-oriented individuals pursuing careers in management.
Facts About Working at Exxon
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Exxon?)
Available Positions: Gas Station Attendant, Cashier, Maintenance Technician, Supply Driver, Research Technician, Process Safety Engineer, Inspector, Routine Maintenance Scheduler, Administrative Assistant, Financial Analyst, Human Resources Representative, Operations Manager
Exxon Job Opportunities
Whether a student looking to work through college or work a full-time schedule, entry-level applicants typically find work as cashiers or gas station attendants inside of stores. Greeting customers, stocking shelves, and taking payments, employees must possess excellent interpersonal skills. Basic requirements include a high school diploma or the equivalent and standing at least 18 years of age. The company routinely promotes from within, which allows employees to rise to store lead positions over time and eventually manager roles, as well.
For more career-minded individuals with extensive experience leading a team, Exxon looks to onboard new managers to guide, motivate, and direct subordinate employees. Candidates displaying a working knowledge of the industry as well as a desire to grow with an ever-expanding company find roles as managers very rewarding. Responsible for the many administrative roles performed daily, managers occasionally must acquire additional certifications or education in order to advance through the company hierarchy. Applicants for both entry-level jobs and professional managerial careers must possess sound communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse customer bases.
Positions and Salary Information for Exxon
Typically, candidates must stand at least 18 years of age in order to apply for any position with the gas station chain, though in certain franchised locations, the minimum age stands at 19 years of age. The most commonly available jobs for both entry-level and career-minded individuals remains listed below:
- A sales associate completes sales transactions of both products and services, taking various forms of payment, and providing correct change when necessary.
- Required duties include assisting customers with selections and purchases, providing both fast and efficient service while maintaining both courteous and friendly demeanors, and upholding store cleanliness.
- Additionally, employees may retain responsibility for stocking shelves, unloading orders, and assuring signage remains properly installed and visible.
- A sales associate typically makes minimum hourly wage to start and must show scheduling flexibility, the ability to stand for long periods of time, and work well both individually and as part of teams.
- Most management structures at Exxon gas stations include assistant managers and store managers.
- Associates may assume store lead positions, which maintains operations in the absence of either manager, and earns $9.00 to $10.00 hourly.
- An assistant manager acts in the stead of a store manager and performs many of the same duties.
- Such responsibilities include directly supervising employees, assisting in inventory and profit control procedures, staffing, and ordering.
- Managers must implement corporate strategy, remain familiar with multiple product lines and promotions, and practice exceptional customer service procedures.
- An assistant manager may earn around $14.00 to $15.00 an hour while a manager maintains earning capacity of up to $50,000 in annual salary options.
Tips For Applying
Job seekers may apply either online via the company website or by visiting a nearby hiring location. Applying online requires applicants to create standard profiles utilized to apply for various positions once signed in. In-person applications may benefit candidates as physically dropping off an application allows for potential one-to-one interaction with hiring personnel. Many employees cite on-the-spot interviews resulting from personally dropping off applications. Candidates should ensure all information provided remains current, concise, and appropriate by updating resumes with some frequency.
For most entry-level positions, candidates typically hear back from hiring managers within one to two weeks after submitting applications. With so many locations and employees currently employed and continuous expansion, such hiring windows frequently shrink in wait time, as well. If not hearing back from human resource personnel within the typical time frame, contact the preferred store of hire, either by phone or in person, to check on application status. Remain aware of peak hours in order to not interrupt daily business and call ahead to ensure a manager remains on site to speak with directly, if possible.
Benefits of Working at Exxon
Exxon offers employees an array of different job benefits, most depending on employment status or tenure. The company commits to finding, developing, and keeping the best possible workers long-term. The gas station chain offers competitive compensation, adjustable work schedules, and other flexible work arrangements. Employees may gain eligibility for health, dental, and vision plans as well as disability coverage and life insurance options. In addition, qualified associates earn:
- Paid time off
- Vacation and holiday pay
- And access to several retirement options such as 401(k) retirement plans
The company also offers workers various fringe benefits as well, including employee discounts, education assistance, fitness programs, and resource referrals.
Additional Information about Exxon
Through an extensive support program, Exxon provided a combined $228 million in goods, services, and monies across the world in 2013. Of the total, over half stayed in the United States to support local communities and projects. Additionally, through company-sponsored programs, over 20,000 employees donated nearly 715,000 volunteer hours to an extensive list of charitable organizations around the globe. Through the company matching gift and disaster relief programs, associates raised a surplus of $41 million more.