In 1959, the first Family Dollar opened in North Carolina. By the 1970s, the brand had gone public. Expanding to thousands of locations across the U.S., Family Dollar is now a major player in the discount retail arena.
Facts About Working at Family Dollar
Minimum Age to Work at Family Dollar: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Family Dollar?)
Family Dollar Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 8:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 10:00am-8:00pm
Available Positions at Family Dollar: Customer Service Representative, Sales Associate, Field Specialist, Assistant Store Manage, Store Manager, District Manager, Security Guard, Maintenance Tech III, General Warehouse Worker, Repack Stocker, Repack Order Filler, Forklift Operator, Bulk Order Filler, Shipping Loader
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
Family Dollar Employee Interview VideosListen to former employees discuss working at Family Dollar:
Family Dollar Job OpportunitiesWho Should Apply?
Job hopefuls that work well with others and have a desire to learn new skills shine in Family Dollar careers. Entry-level employees need a high school diploma or GED, and to be at least 18 years old. Some areas lower the required hiring age to 16.Flexible Hours
Family Dollar jobs offer many different shifts. However, stores tend to value workers whose schedules are open. Fewer time commitments could make an application form more attractive to employers.Entry-Level Jobs with Growth Potential
Most jobs at Family Dollar are entry-level. Still, any strong employee might advance to a full-time manager career, bringing higher salary options. Plus, experienced leaders can apply directly for management positions.
Employment and Salary Information for Family Dollar
The brand hires frequently in a number of roles. Common Family Dollar jobs consist of:
- Employees supply shelves, organize products, and unload shipments.
- Hourly wages range from $7.00 to $9.00.
- Stock associates must be able to lift 50 pounds and walk for long periods.
Customer Service Representative
- Duties consist of being friendly, helping patrons, and working the register.
- Pay rate starts at minimum wage, but increases with experience.
- This Family Dollar job suits a sociable worker who enjoys meeting new people.
- Check out the Family Dollar customer service representative job description for more information.
- Job titles include Assistant and Store Manager
- Tasks involve setting schedules, hiring and training new employees, and satisfying customers.
- Assistant managers make up to $12.00 an hour. Store managers earn a yearly salary package around $40k.
- These Family Dollar career workers need excellent leadership skills.
- For additional information, read the Family Dollar management job description
Tips for Applying
Prospective employees can apply online using the Family Dollar jobs portal. This allows an applicant to select multiple career openings. Conversely, turning in applications in person may increase the chances of hire. It is an opportunity to impress hiring staff and meet other personnel.
The company usually takes about a week before calling to set up an interview. Applicants can call after a few days to check the status of their Family Dollar job applications. This shows drive and initiative which are great qualities for a candidate.
Benefits of Working at Family Dollar
Following the Family Dollar application process, both full-time and part-time workers often qualify for job benefits such as:
- 401(k) plans
- Life insurance
- Employee stock options
Full-time workers access employment benefits like medical insurance and further healthcare coverage. Certain employees receive vacations or paid time off.
Additional Information about Family Dollar
Family Dollar tries to keep all prices below $10.00. The store sells name brands as well as its own branded items. There are a variety of discounted goods available, including housewares, clothing, and food.