Began in 1960, Famous Footwear maintains more than 1,100 locations across the United States. The chain sells hundreds of brands and sustains millions of customers annually. Job opportunities remain in high abundance with the shoe store due to widespread popularity and accessibility.
Facts About Working at Famous Footwear
Minimum Age to Work at Famous Footwear: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Famous Footwear?)
Famous Footwear Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 10:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 11:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at Famous Footwear: Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Famous Footwear Job Opportunities
One of the leading shoe stores in North America, Famous Footwear locations primarily sit inside regional shopping malls. Other retail ventures include locations as part of urban or suburban shopping centers. Job seekers typically find work in entry-level capacities with the chain; however, managerial roles geared toward career professionals also exist. Typical responsibilities involve regular interaction with customers and minor manual labor, including stocking products and retrieving merchandise from backroom storage areas. Employees also oversee visual merchandising and basic sanitation duties, as well.
Applicants who love footwear and demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills represent ideal fits for available positions. Both managerial roles and entry-level sales jobs require constant communication with customers and fellow coworkers. Famous Footwear stores provide paid training, ongoing career development, and access to competitive pay scales and work benefits packages. Career opportunities in the company corporate offices provide additional avenues for meaningful employment in the shoe store industry.
Famous Footwear Positions and Salary Options
Famous Footwear primarily offers entry-level employment opportunities. Job seekers may also find vacancies in store management; however, managerial careers often sit in less widespread abundance. Motivated individuals with passions for customer service and shoe retail often gain hiring consideration for the following jobs:
- The position of sales associate largely centers on aspects of customer service and cashiering.
- Workers greet customers, explain promotions and sales, offer advice on products, and complete transactions at store sales counters.
- In addition to communication skills, applicants must possess some proficiency with computer operating systems; however, knowledge of shoes and the fashion industry in general typically benefits candidates more than other attributes.
- Sales associates may work full-time or part-time. Scheduling needs often differ by location.
- The ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays proves necessary, at times.
- Pay scales begin at $8.00 for the entry-level position and rise to $9.00 or $10.00 over time.
- Applicants who enjoy manual labor and more independent work may take interest in stock associate jobs.
- Responsibilities include stocking out merchandise, unloading shipments from delivery trucks, visual merchandising, and some customer interaction.
- The ability to work on foot and perform manual labor, such as bending, lifting, and hauling, remains crucial for employment.
- Stock associates may work erratic schedules.
- Open availability may greatly influence overall hiring decisions, as schedules available often place workers in shifts before, during, and after hours.
- A stock associate makes roughly the same pay as the average sales associate, with hourly base pay starting at $8.00 and rising to $10.00 or so with experience.
- While Famous Footwear provides regional and district managerial career options, the chain primarily offers store-level supervisory jobs.
- Positions available include assistant manager and store manager titles.
- Assistant managers act as shift supervisors and directly handle scheduling, training, and supervision of entry-level workers.
- Store managers handle more administrative duties ranging from payroll and inventory to reporting sales figures, ordering merchandise, and ensuring store growth and prosperity.
- During busy hours, managers may assist entry-level sales associates and stock associates in carrying out remedial tasks.
- Most managers work full-time; however, assistant managers may assume part-time roles, depending on the hiring needs of individual stores.
- Average hourly pay for assistant managers rests at $11.00. Store managers earn annual salary options falling between $35,000 and $40,000.
Tips For Applying
The best way to apply for Famous Footwear jobs includes visiting a store in person and submitting an application form filled out longhand. Candidate may access corporate careers through the online employment website hosted by parent company Brown Shoe; however, entry-level jobs typically remain accessible in store. Plan to speak directly with management and ask questions about any desired job to show further interest in working for the chain. Applicants may also want to dress up in appropriate, business-casual attire or wear shoe purchased at the retailer as conversation pieces and to demonstrate keen fashion sense.
Employment hunters should either call or visit preferred storefronts to check on job status after submitting applications. The shoe store chain generally takes about a week to contact individuals vying for entry-level positions, while job seekers searching for long-term careers in management may wait as much as two or three weeks. Continuous follow up with hiring personnel shows dedication and determination to work. In-store visits may also help bolster candidacy for available shoe store jobs. Applicants should keep in mind the schedules of managers when visiting in store, as arriving at inopportune times may frustrate or annoy potential supervisors and dissuade positive review during the hiring process.
Benefits of Working at Famous Footwear
Competitive base pay and salary options serve as standard Famous Footwear job benefits. The retail chain also provides discounts on merchandise to most individuals regardless of employment status. Work benefits reserved for qualifying employees include:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Stock purchase plans
- Education assistance
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Sick time and disability insurance.
Eligibility often varies by location.
More Information on Famous Footwear
Famous Footwear understands feet come in all sizes. In order to best serve customers, the retail chain provides a 30-day money-back guarantee. Customers who feel shoes purchased in store fit awkwardly or uncomfortably may return the footwear for full refunds. To help customers find the right fits, the nationwide chain provides online size conversion charts accessible through the Customer Service tab on the company homepage.