A major supplier of farming and agricultural equipment in the American Midwest, Blain's Farm & Fleet hires on entry-level workers and career professionals regularly. Motivated individuals join a network of nearly 40 stores across three states offering competitive pay and ongoing training.
Facts About Working at Blain's Farm & Fleet
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Farm And Fleet?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Cashier, Front End Associate, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, Regional Manager, Call Center Customer Service Representative, Intern, Loss Prevention Associate, Repair Technician, Automotive Service Technician, Automotive Service Center Management Trainee, Human Resources Representative, Merchandiser
Blain’s Farm & Fleet Job Opportunities
Blain’s Farm & Fleet work environments prove challenging yet rewarding and fulfilling. The unique settings and merchandise lines sold in store by the chain require diverse skillsets and knowledge. Applicants must show desires to work with the general public and other retail-related attributes in order to gain employment as well as possess specific interests and expertise in agriculture, hardware, and heavy machinery. Job seekers routinely need to demonstrate backgrounds in related industries or fields prior to employment in order to gain the favor of hiring managers.
In addition to power tools, farming equipment, sow, seed, and other garden supplies, Blain’s Farm & Fleet stores sell sporting goods, clothing for men and women, and locally grown or prepared foods. Most workers receive assignment in specific areas of retail locations. The diverse product lines further the necessity for applicants to remain adaptable and open to new ideas while employed. Friendly, attentive, and courteous individuals make ideal employees with the chain of retail stores. Many locations offer flexible scheduling, with options for either part-time, full-time, or seasonal employment. Upon hire, most entry-level associates work part-time and move into full-time roles with experience; however, the prominent Midwest retailer sometimes hires on outside candidates to fill careers in management.
Blain’s Farm & Fleet Employment and Salary Information
While the chain values broad knowledge and experience, Blain’s Farm & Fleet remains an ideal place to build resumes and assume first-time jobs. The minimum hiring age caters to high school students looking for part-time, entry-level work and includes applicants 16 and over. Employees typically undergo intensive training initially, which provides background on products, services, and policies. Individuals consistently find work in the following job titles:
- Stationed at the front ends of retail locations, cashiers greet customers, operate cash registers, process transactions, scan coupons and apply discounts, and assist sales workers as needed.
- The job title largely involves standing in place, on foot, for long periods of time.
- Social interaction also serves as an integral portion of daily responsibilities.
- Applicants must possess extroverted and energetic personalities as well as basic math skills to effectively fill cashier jobs.
- A typical cashier earns minimum wage and works part-time.
- Due to department store operating concepts, Blain’s Farm & Fleet sales associates usually receive assignment in specific areas of the store.
- Job seekers with detailed knowledge of certain product lines may enjoy additional hiring consideration over other prospective employees.
- Sales associates also work on foot and interact with customers throughout given shifts.
- Workers perform manual labor on the clock, such as bending, stopping, lifting, reaching, and crouching, to retrieve products for patrons, as well.
- During busy rushes, management may assign sales associates to assist in checkout duties.
- The position often pays $9.00 an hour; however, new-hires usually make minimum wage.
- To ensure positive customer experiences, the agricultural retail chain hires department managers, or assistant store managers, and store managers to oversee operations and supervise entry-level employees.
- Other managerial duties include hiring and training workers, setting schedules, resolving conflicts, ordering supplies, reporting sales, protecting against loss or theft, and catering to customer needs.
- The responsibility of opening and closing store locations also falls on management.
- Workers must remain open to relocation and show excellent leadership and organizational skills in order to impress hiring personnel.
- Managers should also place heavy emphasis on customer and employee safety and need to pass pre-employment background checks and drug screening.
- A majority of Blain’s Farm & Fleet managers work full-time.
- Pay scales begin around $10.00 per hour and rise to more than $50,000 annual salary.
Tips For Applying
Prior to gaining employment, applicants must complete assessments gauging skills, abilities, and personalities. The testing takes between 20 and 30 minutes and covers hypothetical situations often encountered in retail settings. As a family-oriented business, many of the questions prompt individuals to provide answers based on morality. Use discretion when filling out the pre-employment assessment and take as much time as necessary to complete the form to the best of personal abilities.
While some candidates may receive immediate callbacks to schedule interviews, other workers must follow up on hiring documents by placing phone calls, emailing, or visiting locations in person. All three methods prove useful in checking on submitted Blain’s Farm & Fleet applications. Prospective associates looking to follow up on employment forms should wait at least a day or two before inquiring about hiring status to respect the busy schedules of managers. Remain polite and show enthusiasm when speaking with managers. To further show appreciation for the opportunity, applicants may want to send thank-you cards after the final interview takes place to express gratitude.
Benefits of Working at Blain’s Farm & Fleet
The retailer reserves job benefits packages for full-time associates. Workers in part-time roles enjoy flexible hours, special discounts, and opportunities for career advancement. Full-time employees receive:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Dental, and vision insurance
- Access to company profit-sharing programs, and paid time off.
Family-oriented work environments based on traditional values and offering community-centric ideals also factor into employment benefits.
Additional Details on Blain’s Farm & Fleet
As a way to give back to surrounding communities, the farming equipment and lawn supplies department store hosts an annual drive benefiting underprivileged youths. The company charity drive takes proceeds from gift card sales during the fundraiser and donates portions to nonprofit organization Kids Helping Kids. The 2014 fundraising drive resulted in more than $10,000 in donations.