One of the largest supermarkets in the United States, Food Lion boasts roughly 1,100 locations, most of which reside in the American South. In addition to locations in the Southern U.S., the prominent chain manages several stores in the Mid-Atlantic region of the country. Job applicants looking for work in the grocery store industry often find easily accessible employment opportunities with the large chain.
Facts About Working at Food Lion
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Food Lion?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Team Member, Guest Services Associate, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Food Lion Interview Videos
Employment Opportunities at Food Lion
Work stands readily available in a variety of fields ranging from basic, entry-level customer service positions to more advanced and technical positions in management, marketing and administration. Food Lion stores consistently hire motivated workers to fill entry-level jobs. The most common employment opportunities available with the grocery store, entry-level positions require limited work experience and the ability to meet minimum age restrictions. Some positions may require manual labor. Applicants wishing to begin careers or simply build resumes with the supermarket should stand in good health prior to hiring. Prospective associates should also demonstrate professional work ethics and exceptional customer service skills.
As a widespread grocery retailer, Food Lion serves urban and suburban areas, small towns, and rural communities throughout the South and Mid-Atlantic regions of the nation. Despite catering to more rural areas of the country, the supermarket employs more than 70,000 workers. Applicants enjoy competitive wages while working for the grocery store chain as well as paid training upon hire and access to employment benefits. Workers may also participate in training programs sponsored by parent company The Delhaize Group, which lead to fruitful careers in the grocery store industry. A single application form provides the necessary details to learn more about available jobs and begin the hiring process.
Food Lion Job Opportunities and Salary Options
Food Lion sets the minimum employment age at 16 for entry-level jobs. Applicants under the age of 16 may still find work with the supermarket chain with special permission from local governments. The hiring age for most managers falls around 18 years, with additional requirements for employment consideration ranging from experience to proven leadership abilities. The renowned grocery store must hire for the following jobs:
- Cashier duties include operating registers, checking I.D. for age-restricted items, and completing other assigned tasks.
- Food Lion cashiers typically earn starting pay rates just above minimum wage.
- Prospective cashiers should possess basic math abilities, strong customer service skills, and engaging personalities.
- Primary duties involve filling product shelves, cleaning, facing goods, checking expiration dates, and finishing other assigned jobs.
- A stock clerk typically earns starting pay rates between $8.00 and $10.00 per hour, according to experience and department of operations.
- Potential hires should have the abilities to stand for long periods of time and lift significant amounts of weight.
- Managers hire new employees, train associates, schedule workers, and oversee daily store operations.
- The average manager earns a starting yearly salary between $25,000 and $70,000, depending on managerial experience, work history, and job title.
- Prospective managers should possess proven analytical, communication, multitasking, and problem solving skills.
Tips For Applying
Food Lion typically takes applications online via parent company, Delhaize America’s career portal. The grocer asks prospective team members to release basic information and include a personalized resume during the application process. Applicants ought to complete applications precisely and proofread resumes before finalizing submissions. Job hopefuls should wait several days before placing a follow-up call or visiting a store to speak with a manager about joining the team.
Some applicants recommend checking in with the store several times a week after applying; however, potential associates should remain considerate of the manager’s time when inquiring about the application status. When visiting a store to speak with a recruitment official, applicants should don semi-professional attire to make a good first impression. If the manager seems too busy to speak, leave the store and return during slower business hours. Express desire for a job with the grocery store if given the opportunity and ask if the manager intends to commence the hiring procedures soon. Managers may choose to communicate via telephone or email, and applicants should comply with the preferred method.
Benefits of Working at Food Lion
Food Lion associates may access a variety of employment benefits. All employees enjoy the job benefits of flexible scheduling, paid training, and competitive pay scales for the grocery industry. Eligible workers may access several additional work benefits, including:
- Vision, and
- Dental plans and managed pharmacy coverage as well as 401(k) retirement plans,
- Membership in the Lion’s Share Credit Union, and
- Profit sharing retirement contributions paid by the company.
Qualified store associates also receive paid time off and monetary benefits accruable over time.
Additional Information on Food Lion
In an effort to help local farms stay afloat, Food Lion partners directly with area growers in order to bolster local communities and support surrounding areas. On the company website, the regional supermarket chain provides links to partnered farms and lists each property according to state. The list also provides detailed breakdowns of goods rendered by the farms, with personal bios for each estate, including location and owners.