Fred Meyer stores operate under a customer-centric business concept, which places guest services at the forefront of daily operations. Jobs available in customer service often serve as ideal stepping-stones for individual looking to gain career traction in the department store industry. Hiring takes place for both entry-level jobs and professional careers on a routine basis across the network of stores.
Facts About Working at Fred Meyer
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Fred Meyer?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Cashier, Customer Service Representative, Stock Clerk, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Fred Meyer Job Opportunities
A longstanding history of innovation and success in the department store industry allows Fred Meyer to continue to grow and add new employees. Backed by Kroger Co. Inc. since 1999, the department store maintains large storefronts reaching in excess of 150,000sqft. requiring dozens of employees at each location. The popular retail chain offers opportunities in fields like customer service, sales, grocery, stock, pharmacy, and management as well as niche fields like lawn and garden, housewares and home improvement, and electronics.
Located in the American Northwest, Fred Meyer provides regional opportunities for part-time and full-time jobs. Applicants must embody customer-first attitudes and display genuine interests in helping others. Most entry-level jobs available feature part-time hours but with the possibility of flexible scheduling. Positions like cashier, sales associate, and clerk make for ideal part-time opportunities and first-time jobs. The retailer also provides supervisory and managerial roles to motivated applicants. Some work history proves relevant and beneficial for careers in management, while limited-to-no experience provides access to entry-level job opportunities.
Fred Meyer Positions and Salary Information
Employees of Fred Meyer stores enjoy a strong sense of community with fellow associates and management. The average workplace offers challenging yet rewarding environments in which motivated individuals possess the opportunity to excel and succeed in the department store industry. Applicants meeting the minimum age requirement of 18 years old may take interest in the following jobs:
- A position frequently for hire in store, cashier jobs require no formal experience for employment consideration.
- However, job seekers should possess friendly, personable attitudes and enjoy working with the general public.
- Basic math skills and computer skills greatly benefit cashier job potentials.
- The department store looks for individuals able to work quickly and still provide excellent, personalized customer service.
- The historically part-time positions may involve some lifting and bending in addition to standing for durations of shifts.
- Cashiers make around minimum wage.
- A broad job title, clerks work in various departments throughout Fred Meyer stores.
- Available fields include grocery, deli, customer service, apparel, produce, seafood, nutrition, and other viable opportunities.
- Clerks serve as sales associates and provide product information, guidance, and recommendations.
- Price-checking, general maintenance and sanitation, and stock also comprise regular clerk duties.
- The average clerk pulls in comparable hourly wage to cashiers, with top-end pay rates nearing $11.00 or $12.00, depending on department and experience.
- Most locations offer in-store pharmacy services, which provide ample career options for applicants possessing related backgrounds.
- Applicants must generally hold college degrees and stand as accredited pharmacists or pharmacy technicians with previous employment in similar positions to gain hiring consideration.
- Both positions involve filling prescriptions and interacting with customers.
- Broad and specific knowledge of drug interactions and allergen information serve as prerequisites for employment.
- Courteous, amiable, and caring personalities also bode well.
- Pharmacy technicians and pharmacists earn anywhere between $25,000 and $60,000 annually, with varying credentials.
- Managerial opportunities in pharmacy often yield salary options in excess of $100,000.
- Each department requires supervisors and managers to assist general store managers in carrying out retail operations.
- Workers interested in careers with the prominent retail chain must exhibit strong organizational skills and abilities to lead teams of employees.
- Administrative skills, such as filing, analyzing data, and tracking inventories also prove highly beneficial.
- Previous backgrounds in retail or in positions of importance within similar industries usually serve as hiring requirements.
- Managers may earn anywhere from $30,000 to $80,000 in annual salary.
Tips For Applying
Individuals who apply online for available jobs should allow for at least a half an hour to complete all sections of the electronic document. The online form usually includes an extensive assessment of basic customer service skills and other pertinent traits and abilities. Entry-level job hopefuls in particular should mark open availability to increase odds of hiring. Any personal interests or experience in desired departments may incline hiring personnel to select certain candidates, as well.
Once submitted, each employment form stays active within the hiring pool of a desired location for 15 days. Applications only remain active within storewide applicant pools for 60 days. After deactivating, hiring forms remain on file for up to a year. The department store chain explicitly states only candidates eligible for employment consideration receive contact to schedule in person meetings moving forward. To check on the status of an outstanding application, workers may contact corresponding HR representatives at locations desired via telephone or email.
Benefits of Working at Fred Meyer
Fred Meyer creates rewarding work environments designed to propel employees into meaningful careers. Competitive base pay and salary options serve as introductory job benefits in addition to paid training and discounted or complimentary uniforms. Work benefits vary greatly by location, region, and employment status but pull from exceptional rewards like:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Dental, and vision coverage
- Employee assistance programs
- Prescription drug plans
- Stock purchase plans
- Paid vacation programs, and continuing education opportunities.
Added Information on Fred Meyer
In order to encourage active, healthy lifestyles in youths, Fred Meyer serves as an official, namesake sponsor of the Fred Meyer Cycling Team in Portland, OR. As part of ongoing efforts, the department store donates helmets and visits classrooms to teach about the importance of wearing helmets while riding bikes. A sister aim of the organization includes the encouragement of women to engage in cycling. Female team members enjoy free technical support and mentorship on topics ranging from general bike maintenance to health and nutrition and training plans.
fred meyer offers jobs for 16 or older (under 18 you can be a courtesy clerk or food courtesy clerk). You MUST fillout the online application @ fredmeyer.com, careers tab at bottom of screen. They are very lenient with vacation requests, so long as the manager is made well aware as soon as possible, and they’re not over thanksgiving – christmas. Depending on flexibilty in the department, they may be able to accommodate your request. No paid vacation until 1 year of service. Great place to work.
Julieanna Carr says:
I worked in apparel and running for Myers also worked the cash register. I recover at night help restock merchandise items when needed. Clean up fitting rooms, put smiles on customers faces and make sure they had a great time and great experience. Make the merchandise items look pretty and well organized.
James L Wood says:
I worked at Fred Meyer for 10 years at the Salmon Creek location. Worked as a cashier, as well as a part time Teller sitting in for vacations and weekends. After 5 years I moved to the Produce Dept. using previous experience in that area. During the slow times I helped with maintenance jobs like painting the store manager office as well as the lunch room, handled some minor building repairs, etc.