Began in 1994, Geek Squad operates as a leading computer and electronics troubleshooting and repair company. Workers seeking highly specialized tech positions or general employment in customer service may take active interest in available jobs.
Facts About Working at Geek Squad
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Geek Squad?)
Available Positions: Customer Service Representative, Computer Agents, Geek Squad Installer, Car Autotech Installer, Counter Intelligence Agent, Computer Technician, Assistant Manager, General Manager
Geek Squad Employment Prospects
After a partnership with nationwide electronics retailer Best Buy in 2002, Geek Squad became one of the most accessible and recognizable computer and electronics repair chains. As a result, the outfit enjoys immense popularity as a leader in the industry. The growing company employs around 20,000 entry-level and career-level associates, with consistent needs for adding new workers as operations expand. Jobs available include entry-level and managerial work in store locations, satellite offices, and a giant repair center located in Louisville, KY. Applicants may also find careers in the company corporate offices residing in Minneapolis, MN.
Geek Squad offers 24-hour web-based and telephone services in addition to physical store locations. While most work environments include traditional team-based retail sales and customer service settings, employment in technical repair centers or satellite offices often feature independent responsibilities thriving on deadlines. Expert technical understanding of computer processors and other electronics often remains vital for employment consideration. The repair chain also bases hiring decisions on general attitudes toward others, dedication, and motivation. Traditional retail associates may assume typical schedules, such as part-time or full-time job statuses, while repair technicians remain on-call and often work extended hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Geek Squad Job Opportunities and Wages Information
The electronics repair company divides employment opportunities into three categories: computers, home theater, and autotech, with each division offering thousands of entry-level jobs and professional careers. Hiring requirements stipulate applicants must stand at least 18 years of age and hold technical backgrounds. Geek Squad also requires employees to hold valid driving permits and clean traffic records, as some associates respond to calls offsite facilitating the use of company vehicles. The electronics repair services provider regularly hires for the following job titles:
Counter Intelligence Agent
- As entry-level customer service roles, counter intelligence agent (CIA) positions require basic technical troubleshooting abilities, adept interpersonal skills, and experience using popular operating systems, such as Windows, Apple, and Linux.
- Applicants must also hold associate’s degrees or better related to computers and electronics.
- As the first points of contact with customers, prospective counter intelligence agents must exude friendly and courteous demeanors during the hiring process.
- The ability to explain highly technical processes plainly also benefits aspiring workers.
- Job opportunities remain available in part-time or full-time capacities.
- Most CIA workers start out at $9.00 an hour and receive increases based on performance up to $20.00 or so hourly.
- Another point of initial contact with customers, the position of covert agent mainly involves interacting with patrons, assessing individual client needs, and scheduling repair consultations.
- Jobs available include work in core, dispatch, and fulfillment capacities, which divide administrative responsibilities among in-house staff.
- While historically part-time and entry-level in nature, covert agent jobs require applicants to commit to 35-hour-per-week schedules at minimum.
- Workers must also possess basic technological backgrounds in order to provide quick fixes or general troubleshooting at service counters.
- Experience using and installing Apple operating systems and home theater systems often raises candidates over other applicants.
- Bilingual abilities and proven experience in sales also benefit prospective associates.
- Hourly pay rests around $15.00 at start.
- The average covert agent makes between $16.00 and $18.00 per hour.
- Also referred to as double agent jobs, Geek Squad field agent positions require regular travel using the iconic company cars.
- Primary responsibilities include in-home coaching, installation, education, and troubleshooting services.
- Applicants must possess excellent data-entry abilities and at least six months of experience in technology repair.
- Workers must stand 21 and older and hold associate’s degrees, trade licenses, and low-voltage licenses.
- The highly technical and full-time position usually places employees on-call, which means varied hours day-to-day.
- Pay scales generally factor in experience, with low-end salary options falling around $30,000 annually and experienced workers enjoying rates in excess of $50,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should review the specific qualifications for each position desired. Most hiring requirements vary significantly from one job title to the next. Computer literacy and experience using electronics remain at the core of most employment opportunities; however, customer service skills and general availability also factor into hiring decisions. Geek Squad applications also regularly ask candidates to list and explain experiences using technology as part of pre-employment screenings. Submitting personal resumes and cover letters may satisfy the need to provide additional information regarding technical abilities.
The computer and electronics repair company typically calls back potential hires within a week to schedule interviews. Candidates applying in person may undergo impromptu interviews with hiring personnel onsite. In general, most workers wait no more than two weeks for contact regarding outstanding applications. Motivated applicants may call, email, or visit recruitment personnel in person to inquire about the next steps in the hiring process. Checking on applications allows prospective associates to interact with future managers and coworkers directly and establish professional relationships, which may lead to improved odds of employment.
Benefits of Working at Geek Squad
A major, national chain, Geek Squad cares for employees and offers exceptional work benefits packages. Some employment benefits may remain exclusively available for career-level managers and corporate professionals; however, full-time and part-time associates generally receive:
- Paid time off,
- Healthcare options,
- Complimentary uniforms, and flexible scheduling.
Other typical job benefits include discounts on products and services, 401(k) retirement plans, and employee assistance programs.
Further Details on Geek Squad
Geek Squad takes pride in connecting directly with customers in order to provide the best services possible. One of the most effective ways to stay connected with clients includes the accessibility of 24-hour web-based chat lines. Regardless of issue or time of day, patrons may log on to the company website and click on the tab marked Chat With An Agent to immediately connect with a professional troubleshooting technician. Services provided include step-by-step virus removal, software installation walkthroughs, and general electronics setup.