General Nutrition Center, also referred to colloquially as GNC, operates a chain of health and wellness retail stores with over 6,400 locations in the U.S. and roughly 1,600 others worldwide. The popular retailer commands a workforce of nearly 14,000 and looks to hire motivated individuals into entry-level positions and professional careers on a regular basis.
Facts About Working at General Nutrition Center GNC
Minimum Age to Work at General Nutrition Center GNC: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at General Nutrition Center GNC?)
General Nutrition Center GNC Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 10:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 11:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at General Nutrition Center GNC: Sales Associate, Maintenance Technician, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Regional Sales Director, District Manager, Loss Prevention Associate, Divisional Sales Manager, Administrative Assistant/Clerical Worker, Distribution/Transportation Manager, Global Business Development Manager, Graphic Designer, Human Resources Representative, Product Development Manager, Purchasing/Planning Associate, Sales/Marketing Manager, Training Manager
GNC Interview Videos
General Nutrition Center Job Opportunities
The sports, health, and wellness-oriented job settings of GNC stores provide ideal environments for highly driven and motivated individuals to thrive. Workers with backgrounds in athletics, leisure, dietetics, nutrition, and overall wellbeing represent perfect fits for General Nutrition Center jobs. The retailer offers part-time and full-time positions to interested applicants, with generous discounts, room for growth and development, and paid training. The types of jobs available offer daily opportunities to connect with customers and establish lasting relationships both in and out of store, of which personable and outgoing individuals may take sincere interest.
Merchandise and product lines sold at GNC locations require applicants to possess working knowledge of the health and fitness industry. Oftentimes, customers ask employees about topics related to health and fitness beyond what the retailer sells in store. The ability to fully explain product lines and offer sound, educated advice for application of supplements, vitamins, minerals, or exercise equipment remains paramount for employment. Most associates work full-time, although part-time opportunities may exist at certain franchised locations.
GNC Employment Opportunities and Pay Scales
The health and nutrition retail chain looks to hire individuals with basic math skills and excellent customer service abilities who stand 18 years of age and older. Applicants must also hold high school diplomas. Advanced degrees may further aid candidates in gaining employment. The positions readily offered by the retail chain include:
- Workers assuming sales associate roles at GNC stores carry out customer service, cashier, and stock duties.
- The traditionally full-time position includes engaging with customers, upselling merchandise, explaining and recommending product lines, and completing transactions on computerized point-of-sales systems.
- Applicants need to demonstrate comfortable attitudes towards interacting with the general public and sound knowledge of athletics, sports nutrition, sports science, and related equipment.
- Schedules available may vary slightly by location, although most sales team members work 30 to 40 hours per week.
- Sales associates regularly work alone.
- The ability to perform daily tasks independently in efficient and consistent manners serves as a crucial hiring point.
- Pay scales begin at minimum wage and rise to $10.00 or so per hour with experience.
- Store management careers involve organizing daily operations and maximizing profitability of each location.
- In addition to high school diplomas, the retail chain regularly insists applicants hold bachelor’s or master’s degrees in related fields, such as sports and exercise science, retail management, or sports management.
- Experience in retail also stands as a pivotal hiring requirement for aspiring managers.
- Applicants must exude the ability to lead, delegate, motivate, and discipline as well as cater to customer needs and ensure overall satisfaction of patron shopping experiences.
- Managers also work with distributors to coordinate product shipments and talk directly with the company corporate offices to report sales and performance data.
- Assistant managers usually make around $9.00 or $10.00 an hour at start, while starting annual salary options for store managers falls around $25,000 and exceeds $55,000 with experience.
Tips For Applying
Diligence pays off for GNC job hopefuls. After submitting hiring forms, applicants should follow up with the retail chain by telephone or email to express interest in attending interviews. The retailer requires applicants to submit employment forms online through the company website. The form takes between 30 minutes and an hour to complete. Allot enough time to complete the application without feeling rushed and to avoid providing errant information.
Applicants should check back with the health and wellness retail chain within a couple of days of submitting the required hiring forms. Following up by phone calls represents an ideal way to show further interest in any desired position. While email also shows added enthusiasm for available positions, calling or visiting a location in person may benefit candidates more so than electronic means of correspondence. Most job seekers receive determinations regarding application status within a week’s time.
Benefits of Working at General Nutrition Center
Performance serves as an integral part of the GNC company culture. The retail chain offers excellent rewards programs designed to spur associates to go above and beyond. Regular incentives include salary reviews, sales commission, and bonuses. Employees also receive:
- Holidays off
- Access to pension plans and 401(k) retirement plans
- Merchandise discounts
- Childcare vouchers
- Medical coverage options
- Life insurance, and
- Long-term service awards.
More Information on GNC
In order to provide cutting-edge product lines tailored to patrons needs, the retail chain offers an online poll accessible through the company website, which asks questions related to health and fitness topics. Customers may log on and complete the poll by accessing the About Us section of the website and then clicking on the Live Well Poll tab. The survey then directs customers through series of questions touching on topics like daily vitamin intake, medical history, and reasons for shopping at the chain. Participants may opt out of any question at any time to protect privacy.