Giant Eagle employs a healthy workforce of nearly 40,000 employees to maintain the many services and conveniences offered to patrons. The well-known grocer provides fresh produce, canned and frozen goods, deli and bakery services, in-store or take-out dining options, and pharmaceutical amenities at most locations. The Pennsylvania-based supermarket requires both entry-level and managerial employees to sustain efficient operations of each department. The regional chain frequently hires on new associates to fill existing vacancies and employment needs.
Facts About Working at Giant Eagle
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Giant Eagle?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Customer Service Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Night Stock Clerk, Stock Clerk, Fuel Station Attendant, HBW Team Leader, Sales Clerk, Perishable Clerk, Pharmacy Technician, Crew Lead, Deli/Foods ToGo Clerk, GoGetter, Night Crew Team Leader, Grocery Assistant Team Leader, Meat Wrapper, Kitchen Lead, Cake Decorator, Bagger, Cook-Dairy, Journeyman Meat Cutter, Baker, Eagle’s Nest Attendant, Dietitian/Wellness Coach, Meat Sales Clerk, Esthetician, Coordinator - Fuel Station, Gourmet Chef, Health and Beauty Clerk, Seafood Team Member, Truck Driver, Warehouse Selector, Distribution Supervisor, Receiving Manager, Transportation Supervisor, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Giant Eagle Employee Interview Videos
Giant Eagle Job Opportunities
Candidates looking for a first job or entrance into a supermarket industry career may find entry-level employment at Giant Eagle. Positions like cashier or clerk typically require no previous experience to earn employment with the grocer. Job seekers find employment openings and submit applications through the careers section of the company website. Applicants should allow 30 to 60 minutes to fill out and submit the application. Some positions may require heavy lifting. Good physical health typically proves one of the main qualifications for gaining hiring consideration at the grocery store chain. The supermarket also looks for workers who embody the company core values of friendliness, team-spirit, healthy living, and good work ethics.
Career-minded individuals often find managerial or specialty jobs like baker, chef, and pharmacist at Giant Eagle. Upper-level positions may require applicants to possess several years of related experience or college degrees. While managerial positions require more responsibility than entry-level jobs, managers and team leaders enjoy competitive salary options and extensive benefits. All workers receive company-paid training programs, health benefits, and paid time off.
Giant Eagle Positions and Salary Information
Applicants must typically stand between 16 and 18 years of age to receive hiring consideration at Giant Eagle. Potential manager associates may need to possess experience in grocery retail and as leaders in previous jobs, as well. The supermarket regularly hires for the following job titles:
- One of the most popular positions in the supermarket industry, cashiers work on the frontend stores and assist patrons with final purchases.
- While the grocery store chain prefers six months of previous experience, Giant Eagle employs inexperienced associates for cashier positions with regularity.
- Cashiers must scan and bag items swiftly as well as responsibly handle multiple payment methods.
- Associates must also possess basic computer skills and become familiar with popular produce and product codes.
- Other job duties include telling customers about the rewards program, scanning Giant Eagle Advantage cards, and informing patrons of FuelPerks! discounts.
- Cashiers may also spend time cleaning and stocking aisles, which requires the ability to lift up to 25lbs. at a time.
- Cashier wages typically start at minimum wage and peak out around $10.00 an hour.
- Giant Eagle hires on clerks to work on store sales floors or in deli, bakery, and restaurant departments throughout each supermarket.
- While no associated experience proves necessary, the regional chain requires applicants meet the minimum age of 18 for clerk positions.
- Typical clerk duties include cleaning, stocking, and maintaining organized departments and helping customers locate items.
- Clerks often keep grocery store parking lots clear by moving and collecting shopping carts several times a day.
- Workers must sometimes withstand extreme temperatures outside, both hot and cold.
- Clerks also manage hot ovens, prepare hot food, and manage in-store freezers and coolers, as well, depending on job title and department.
- The workload involves bending, pushing, pulling, in most cases, and other strenuous activities like lifting and carrying 25lbs. to 50lbs. at a time.
- Clerk pay often begins at minimum wage and works up to $9.00 per hour, based on associate tenure and performance.
- Available management positions include store management and department specific team leader jobs.
- The regional supermarket requires management candidates to possess anywhere from six months to three years of associated experience and a high school or college diploma for some positions.
- Team leader jobs often arise in bakery, deli, and floral departments, in-store restaurants, and on store sales floors.
- Primarily, team leaders must oversee the cleanliness and organization of departments, fill customer orders, communicate with senior management, assign duties to subordinates, and assist in training new hires.
- Store managers must tend to overall success of individual locations, recruitment, marketing, loss prevention, and a wide range of other duties, as well.
- Team leader hourly wages often start at $10.00 and top off around $14.00.
- Manager salary options range from $35,000 to $80,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
Giant Eagle stores offer applicants excellent paths to entry-level work and professional careers. As a top-rated place of employment, the supermarket values innovation, creativity, and personality in new associates. Pride in daily responsibilities, the ability to mesh well with others, and customer-first attitudes represent cornerstones of company success. Applicants should align personal goals with the company mission statements to receive preferential treatment from management. The chain also looks for success-driven, friendly, and courteous individuals able to assume varied schedules and adhere to strict health and safety policies, which prove pivotal to company operations.
Depending on the volume of applicants and individual hiring needs of store locations, applicants may wait anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to hear back from managers regarding employment. The Giant Eagle hiring process often culminates in two to three weeks, with rare exceptions including job hopefuls securing positions through employee referrals. Candidates for both part-time and full-time employment opportunities may check on applications via email or telephone. Visiting stores in person also affords applicants the ability to ask about position in hiring queues.
Benefits of Working at Giant Eagle
Giant Eagle employees often qualify for a variety of job benefits, including:
- Dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Paternity leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401 (k) retirement plans and pension plans, and
- Long-term and short-term disability coverage
Eligibility for certain employment benefits rests on time spent with the company, full-time or part-time status, and other company-determined factors. Employees also consistently enjoy flexible schedules and advancement opportunities at Giant eagle.
Additional Information on Giant Eagle
On top of providing typical grocery store jobs, some Giant Eagle locations boast GetGo! gas stations onsite. The supermarket hires on associates to maintain gas station operations and operate carwash machines at select locations. Job seekers also find work in onsite pharmacies, which the supermarket staffs with professional candidates to fill prescriptions, administer vaccinations, and assist customers with other medical needs common to the pharmaceutical industry. To stay current with industry trends, the regional grocery store renamed many current stores as Giant Eagle Market District locations. The newly marketed stores offer extensive services and higher-end products than locations operating under the original company concept. Employment hunters often find jobs in health and beauty, catering, and dry cleaning at Giant Eagle Market District locations.
William A. Stewart says:
Have worked for the company off and on for over thirty years. Solid opportunity for growth, meet people and help the community stay healthy at the same time.
Ronald Searles says:
The stock clerk position is a well advance adventure that allow each member in advancing to a more supported role. When being able to serve the customer in helping them with store items in helping the customer to better themselves for a quick and easy departure when visiting Giant Eagles.
Randall M. Samuels says:
Giant Eagle has a great reputation for treating customers good and as well as their employees.