A leading purveyor of denim, Guess began with two French brothers pursuing the American dream in 1981. As a major chain, the clothing brand provides retail jobs with little resistance for applicants seeking entry-level employment or long-term careers.
Facts About Working at Guess
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Guess?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Sales Associate, Merchandise Handler, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager
Guess Employee Interview Videos
Guess Job Opportunities
The iconic fashion retailer manages four brands: Guess, Marciano, Guess Kids, and G. Guess Kids remains an outlet for stylish youth apparel, G often entices a slightly younger clientele than Guess, and Marciano exudes a glamor indicative of nightlife. Additionally, each brand boasts an extensive line of denim, outerwear, dresses, shoes, handbags, watches, and exuberant accessories, such as belts, sunglasses, and luggage. As most sales associates employed by the company stand expected to specialize in a single department, Guess provides a great platform for individuals interested in fashion retail to start a career with an entry-level position.
Since the fashion house remains a leading name in the fashion industry, employees of Guess must project personal and professional images in line with company values. Known for advertisements which push the boundaries of traditional photography, the company cultivates provocativeness associated with youth and glamor. Female managers and sales associates working in stores often receive encouragement to wear heels and Guess merchandise to entice customers. Male associates remain expected to project airs of sleekness, as well. The retailer favors individuals who demonstrate passions for style and aptitudes for sales.
Guess Positions and Salary Information
As a quickly expanding corporation already employing thousands of people, Guess offers many opportunities for entry-level work and growth within the company. The prestige which comes with the name makes a great resume builder, and the retailer provides generous benefits to all employees. Some of the most accessible positions available with the company include:
- Designed to give college fashion students hands-on experience in the retail world, Guess offers seasonal internships which last about 10 weeks.
- Applying for the position requires no previous experience, though applicants must at least hold high school diplomas.
- After selection, interns receive assignments to specific departments within the corporate offices.
- The main responsibility of an intern remains aiding the generally functionality of assigned departments.
- More specific duties depend on the assignment; however, many interns perform basic administrative tasks, such as answering phones or keeping track of scheduled events on a regular basis.
- While the retailer does not provide relocation assistance, the internship compensates with minimum wage.
- With no experience necessary for application, warehouse assistant remains a great entry-level position for limber individuals.
- To start, individuals hired for the position receive minimum wage; however, many warehouse workers earn up to $15.00 an hour.
- Individuals staffing company warehouses assist the flow of merchandise from delivery trucks into the warehouse and from the warehouse to display in stores.
- Such environments demand physical strength and stamina, as heavy boxes need lifted and transported with repetition for long spans of time.
- Additional and advantageous traits include the ability to work well in a team, superb listening skills, and willingness to take direction.
- Warehouse assistants may need to operate motorized machinery.
- Safety standards must remain a top professional priority for hire.
- A position best suited for driven people, sales associates remain the face of the Guess brand.
- Individuals must have a high school diploma and stand at 18 years of age for consideration as the nature of sales remains competitive and unfitting for younger folks.
- Usually responsible for a specific type of merchandise or section of the sales floor, associates must remain accessible to customers.
- Answering questions, finding the best product for the needs of a customer, highlighting sales and perks of merchandise, straightening displays, and maintaining the overall orderliness and cleanliness of the store persist as primary duties of an associate.
- The position demands long and irregular hours, extended periods of standing, and an ability to remain polite and poised in the face of adversity.
- Sales associates may earn anywhere from minimum wage to $12.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Retaining a polished, professional resume always proves lucrative when applying to work for high-end corporations. Even though the application may not call for a cover letter, maintaining one demonstrates organization, preparedness, and dedication to the company. Performing research about the product and demonstrating knowledge of the retailer during an interview also remain great ways to stand out to hiring personnel. Dressing in Guess merchandise and modeling interview outfits after the work uniforms of employed sales associates also prove effective ways to catch the eye of hiring managers.
As with many fashion retailers, Guess experiences a high level of turnover for entry-level jobs. As a result, the hiring process takes an average of two days to one week to reach completion. After an interview, applicants should feel encouraged to call the store where the application was submitted to inquire about status. Additionally, sending an email or thank-you card remains a polite way to both check up on an application and establish dedication and true interest in working for the retailer.
Benefits of Working at Guess
As a large and flourishing corporation, Guess offers lavish work benefits to full-time and part-time employees. Once eligible for health insurance, the company provides comprehensive plans for dental, vision, and life coverage. After a year of employment, associates may set up 401(k) retirement plans with the retailer as well as purchase stocks. Employees may also qualify for vacation and paid time off, and the company upholds generous policies regarding maternity or paternity leave. Personnel enjoy performance bonuses and significant employee discounts, as well.
More Information on Guess
Denim Day, a campaign designed to raise awareness about sexual assault, originated in 1997 as a result of a court hearing involving the issue. Guess, partnered with nonprofit organization Peace Over Violence, orchestrates a yearly month-long operation. Company employees wear jeans sporting pins with call-to-action slogans and maintain store displays dedicated to boosting mindfulness. The fashion retailer also donates generous sums of money to help Peace Over Violence implement educational programs centered on the topic.