Selling new and used books in addition to movies, music, and games, Half Price Books operates in about 16 states. Entry-level job seekers wishing to pursue careers in the retail book industry may find gainful employment, as the company offers competitive pay and attractive work benefits packages.
Facts About Working at Half Price Books
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Half Price Books?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Book Store Clerk, Book Seller, Production Designer, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, General Manager, Regional Manager, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst
Half Price Books Job Opportunities
Half Price books continues to expand into favorable markets and offers an abundance of employment with the more than 100 locations nationwide. Due to the increased expansion, career hopefuls enjoy opportunities in the corporate structure of the company, while entry-level aspirants capitalize on the consistent need for book lovers to fill vacancies at store locations. Featuring new and used items, storefronts usually sell products around half the market value. Full- and part-time store positions may prove attractive for high school or college students, supplemental income seekers, and even retirees.
As a book retailer, the company hires individuals interested in both books and working with people. Candidates should possess great appreciation for books, music, and cinema as well as good work ethics and positive attitudes. Employment seekers with the aforementioned traits need no retail experience, as the company maintains a training program aimed at coaching anyone to become an excellent customer service provider. Dress codes remain relaxed, as tattoos do not disqualify applicants from hire. Promotions usually occur from within the company and rely heavily on seniority. Newly hired individuals should expect part-time hours to start, coupled with night shifts, weekend hours, and holiday work.
Half Price Books Openings and Pay
The media resale company allows individuals as young as 16 years old to begin work. However, employers expect workers to possess reliable transportation. Education accomplishments along with prior retail experience remain preferred, although the credentials remain unnecessary to achieve gainful employment with the retail chain. Positions available to entry-level job seekers fall below:
- The first step to a successful career with Half Price Books, bookseller positions require customer service responsibilities.
- Individuals lacking prior customer service experience receive paid training, which equips workers with necessary tools to assist customers requesting media locations, media ordering, and media recommendations.
- Essential functions for booksellers include cash register operation, inventory maintenance, and purchasing used items for resale.
- Desirable associates demonstrate eagerness to learn, excellent listening skills, and hard work ethics.
- While booksellers bring in around minimum wage, associates demonstrating abilities for management roles may receive promotions to shift leader resulting in a one-to-two dollar raise.
- Assistant managers and general managers ensure the profitable operation of specific Half Price Books locations.
- General manager tasks include recording inventory sales, maintaining productive faculty, and catering to customers for repeat business.
- While assistant manager duties overlap considerably with general manager duties, basic bookseller responsibilities constitute large portions of daily activities for assistant mangers.
- Management positions generally earn annual incomes ranging from $25,000 to $50,000.
- Earning more than assistant managers, general managers may expect bonuses reliant on store profitability.
Tips For Applying
Half Price Books job hopefuls may apply in person or download and fill out applications before submitting to storefront locations. Candidates may improve hiring consideration by listing free schedule availability. Applicants wishing to stand out among competition should include resumes in the space provided for online applications. When dropping off applications at desired locations, applicants who politely request to speak with management increase chances to achieve interviews. Hiring staff offer jobs to proactive individuals, as personal initiative displays great future potential. If possible, ask relevant questions in order to exemplify conscientious behavior and to improve personal knowledge of the company, which may prove useful during interviews.
Generally, applicants receive feedback from hiring managers for interviews within a couple weeks of application submission. Upon submission, applicants should wait up to a few days before initiating follow-up contact with recruiters. Call or visit the store in person to demonstrate dedication to achieving a job with Half Price Books. As occasional on-the-spot interviews take place, candidates should dress appropriately to ensure positive first impressions. Typical time periods between interviews and job offers rest around one to two weeks, while occasional extremes see contact occurring within a few days or months.
Benefits of Working at Half Price Books
Half Price Books job benefits packages remain among the best in the retail book industry. Employees garner excellent discounts on store merchandise and receive priority over newly acquired products.
- In addition to profit sharing, the company provides 401(k) retirement plan options for full-time and part-time associates.
- Generous healthcare packages allow workers to choose varied health, vision, and dental insurance coverage.
Bonuses prove available based on volume of sales and increase employee pay scales depending on rank within the company.
Further Information on Half Price Books
The new and used book retailer offers a 10% discount to teachers and librarians. Continued support for education and literacy situates the company on the forefront for providing educators with essential tools to stimulate interest in reading. Every year, Half Price Books contributes to the Half Pint Library program to donate thousands of collected and donated books for nonprofit organizations. In 2014, the company donated over 1 million books and remains poised to break the record in 2015.