Hannaford operates a chain of grocery stores headquartered in the State of Maine and owned by global proprietor The Delhaize Group. The supermarket company employs more than 25,000 workers to carry out daily duties for more than 170 stores and consistently hires on new employee. The supermarket needs hardworking associates to provide optimal customer service and keep store departments looking presentable. Most locations provide fresh produce options, bakery, deli, and seafood services, snacks, pharmaceutical conveniences, and bottle recycling amenities. Each location conducts varying hiring processes, with job seekers able to complete and submit applications at stores of desired employment.
Facts About Working at Hannaford
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Hannaford?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Customer Service Associate, Meat Cutter, Bookkeeper, Sales Associate
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Hannaford Job Opportunities
From retail management to frontend cashier, Hannaford carries job opportunities for both career-minded candidates and entry-level applicants new to the workforce. Hourly employee take advantage of higher than average base pay and employee benefits for both part-time and full-time positions. In light of the extra responsibility upper-level jobs require, managerial workers enjoy modest salary options and generous employment benefits packages in addition to standard conveniences.
A positive attitude and good physical health typically prove the only requirements for earning entry-level jobs at Hannaford. The East Coast supermarket affords ongoing training programs and opportunities for advancement. Upper-level management applicants must typically possess several years of experience and a strong desire to build teams and positive work environments. Near-college graduates looking for jobs in grocery store management may take advantage of manager-in-training programs with the regional grocer and most locations offer jobs for licensed and aspiring pharmacists, as well.
Hannaford Employment Options and Pay Scales
Hannaford often lists entry-level and upper-level job openings on the company website. The supermarket welcomes applicants to submit applications online or in-person. While requirements vary depending on the position, all associates should demonstrate customer-focused attitudes, dependability, and promise of consistent performance. Though the grocer provides a vast number of job titles, some of the most sought after jobs include:
- Applicants vying for cashier jobs at Hannaford must stand at least 18 years of age.
- Cashiers work at the frontend of each store and greet customers.
- Other duties include scanning and bagging items, operating cash registers, handing payments and giving change, and keeping check-out aisles clean and clear of carts or unwanted items.
- Applicants who possess good communication skills typically obtain cashier jobs without a problem, and the supermarket administers well-rounded training programs for new associates to hone necessary skills for the job.
- Cashiers must frequently lift 25lbs. and sometimes up to 50lbs. when necessary.
- The position also involves assisting with stock duties when not operating cash registers.
- Hourly pay ranges from a minimum of $8.00 and up to $10.00.
- Hannaford associate serves as a general title for department-specific workers.
- Titles include customer service associate, deli sales and bakery sales associate, night crew associate, and service center associate.
- The minimum age requirement for associate positions remains 18 years or older and pay clocks in at around $8.00 to $12.00 per hour, depending on responsibilities, tenure, and performance over time.
- Common duties include interacting with customers, assisting with returns or other patron issues, cash-handling, stocking, cleaning and organization of departments, filling orders, and retrieving carts.
- The job also requires bending, pushing, pulling, and reaching, and workers should possess the ability to lift up to 50lbs. and push up to 75lbs. at a time.
- Department manager, assistant manager, and store manager prove popular leadership titles at the supermarket.
- Applicants assuming department managers oversee the upkeep of a specific area of the store and assure the consistent provision of a specific service.
- Department managers assign duties and assist with training new associates, as well.
- Assistant managers support store managers with overall communications, scheduling, marketing, inventory, orders, training, and general store success.
- Upper-level management positions may require two or three years of experience in supermarket/retail management and a high school diploma or an equivalent.
- In some cases, management jobs may require applicants to possess associate’s or bachelor’s degrees, as well.
- Department and assistant manager salaries range from $40,000 to $50,000 per year.
- Store manager salary options start around $75,000 and move up to $90,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
Applying for work at grocery stores requires candidates to pay close attention to personal hygiene, non-verbal communication, and hours of availability. Most supermarket employees start out in variable shifts, such as nights and weekends, and need to remain open to working at all hours of the day. Individuals must also wear presentable attire and maintain well-groomed appearances in order to gain employment, especially in positions in direct contact with food. Body language and general attitudes toward work also factor into hiring decisions. Job hopefuls must remain energetic, courteous, and outgoing.
The Hannaford Bros. hiring process may take anywhere from a few days to a handful of weeks. Large groups of applicants vying for similar positions often extends the average wait times candidates experience upon submission of employment materials. Individuals using employee referrals to gain hiring consideration may receive preferential treatment and reduced overall lag in the process, with recruitment decisions regularly occurring within a day or two. Workers using traditional means of applying for supermarket jobs may speed up the process with phone calls or personal visits to locations to speak with managers directly. Following up on applications also presents opportunities to ask about positions desired and general expectations upon hire.
Benefits of Working at Hannaford
- 401 (k) retirement plans
- Store discounts
- Medical and dental insurance
- Paid time off, and
- Scholarships represent some of the work benefits accessible by qualified Hannaford employees
Workers often qualify for job benefits within 90 days of hire. Though available to both part-time and full-time employees, associates may need to work a certain amount of hours per quarter before becoming eligible for employment benefits packages.
More Background on Hannaford
Hannaford provides a bottle redemption service common to the supermarket industry in Maine. The regional supermarket teams up with an organization called Clynk, which operates the redemption, transportation, and recycling of customer-returned bottles purchased in the state. Patrons create profiles on the Clynk website to sign up for services and receive loyalty cards to swipe when returning bottles. Clynk counts returned bottles and awards points to members depending on the number of bottles collected. The recycling company adds cash-redeemable points to customer accounts. The program reduces environmental impacts and serves as an educational tool for patrons to become more informed on how to limit refuge.
I’m still work at hannaford at the front end I’m a bagger but it too much for me want to move out of the department and want to work at the hannaford to go how I apply for it?