Harris Teeter represents a highly respectable chain of grocery stores primarily operating in the American South. Around 225 locations fall under control of the regional supermarket. With widespread success across eight states, the chain based out of North Carolina takes on new employees to fill entry-level and professional jobs with regularity. Thousands of employment opportunities stand readily available offering generous pay and access to work benefits. Job hunters must fill out the appropriate forms and submit the documents in order to receive hiring consideration.
Facts About Working at Harris Teeter
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Harris Teeter?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Bagger, Meat Clerk, Seafood Clerk, Produce Clerk, Customer Service Clerk, Sandwich Artist, Baker, Fresh Food Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Dairy Clerk, Frozen Foods Clerk, Pizza Clerk, Barista, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, Maintenance Technician, Human Resources Associate, Pharmacist, Pharmacy Technician, Inventory Control Specialist, Sanitation Janitor, Buyer, Accountant, Quality Control Inspector, Food and Services Director
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Harris Teeter Job Opportunities
The successful grocery store chain provides amenities and services common to the supermarket industry. Workers may find viable positions in various departments throughout Harris Teeter stores, including employment in deli, bakery, frozen foods, meat, seafood, produce, and non-perishable foods sections. The grocery stores also regularly boast flower shops inside of each location. Entry-level job opportunities represent the most common forms of employment available; however, applicants may find managerial careers easily obtainable, as well.
Regional applicants may submit hiring forms online or in-person at local Harris Teeter locations. Potential workers should expect to wait up to a month to hear back from the supermarket regarding employment consideration. Large grocery store chains regularly feature high turnover rates, as each respective location requires dozens of workers in order to maintain operations. Fill out an online job application now to begin the hiring process and secure consideration for entry-level and professional careers with a prominent chain.
Harris Teeter Employment Prospects and Wages Information
As most positions available at Harris Teeter supermarkets feature part-time, entry-level status, applicants generally need no real work history to gain employment. Aside from age restrictions limiting work to individuals 16 and over, the grocery store only imposes further requirements on managerial candidates. Positions most often available include:
- Harris Teeter baggers generally work part-time and carry out various supportive roles within the store.
- Primary job duties include bagging groceries, assisting customers in carrying groceries, and retrieving shopping carts from store parking lots.
- Baggers interact with patrons regularly and must possess personable attributes.
- The position requires associates to work quickly while providing excellent customer service.
- Excellent communication skills and strong work ethics benefit potential baggers.
- The regional chain pays baggers hourly rates between minimum wage and $9.00, in most cases.
- Like bagger positions, Harris Teeter clerk jobs involve regular interaction with customers.
- Additional job duties include stocking and organizing department shelves and basic sanitation.
- Clerks also assume cashier duties during busy hours as needed. Ancillary job duties performed by clerks vary by department.
- Associates in meat departments may spend time cutting, cleaning, and packaging orders.
- Produce clerks often arrange product displays and check fruits and vegetables for quality.
- Part-time shifts represent the most common schedules awarded to clerk employees.
- Applicants must possess the ability to comfortably perform manual labor and work on foot for hours at a time.
- Friendly attitudes and dedicated personalities also prove ideal for clerk jobs.
- Typical starting pay hovers around minimum wage.
- Experience may lead to hourly pay up to $9.00 or $10.00.
- Career opportunities available to grocery store job seekers at Harris Teeter locations include tiered positions in management.
- The regional supermarket conducts hiring for department manager and store manager job titles.
- Individuals already employed by the grocery store may receive promotion into manager-in-training programs, which guide motivated associates into full-time, professional careers with the company.
- Outside applicants may receive hiring consideration with years of experience and proven leadership in similar positions.
- Each manager supervises, hires, and trains entry-level workers in addition to looking after store operations.
- Specific responsibilities vary by title but generally include establishing business relations with customers and suppliers, maintaining and logging inventory, setting work schedules, resolving conflicts, and driving sales.
- Department managers tend to carry out more specific job duties, while store managers tend to more administrative matters.
- Prospective employees should expect to make between $25,000 and $70,000 annual salary.
- Job title, experience, and time spent with the company generally determine afforded salary options.
Tips For Applying
Harris Teeter grocery stores implement stringent drug screening and background checks prior to making hiring decisions. Other considerations applicants should take include maintaining excellent hygiene and outward appearances and remaining personable and courteous at all times. The various physical aspects of most positions for hire should also be taken into account, as most entry-level jobs involve bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling as daily activities.
Most workers spend around two weeks going through the hiring process at Harris Teeter supermarkets. Individuals in the hunt for managerial positions may experience even longer processes, with deliberations and reviews lasting upwards of a month, at times. Applicants create user profiles to submit hiring forms through the company careers page. The online profiles grant individuals access to real-time changes in application statuses. Workers may also check on applications via telephone or in-person visits to store locations. Arriving during slower hours when managers possess more time to talk works to the benefit of candidates, in most cases.
Benefits of Working for Harris Teeter
Paid training, career advancement, and competitive salary options comprise a small portion of total work benefits available to eligible associates. Harris Teeter job benefits include discounts on products and services as well as corporate-sponsored financial savings plans and healthcare coverage. Qualified employees receive:
- Vision and life insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts
- Tuition assistance
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off, and
- Legal assistance
Additional Information on Harris Teeter
The Harris Teeter company website provides in-depth, interactive access to products and services offered through the supermarket chain. Customers may log on to find information on brands sold, product descriptions, store amenities, services provided, and discounts. The website gives patrons the option to search by department and even offers information on new items recently stocked in stores.
Melinda McGinnis says:
Yes I worked for Harris Teeter at the Mt.Island store. I started in 2003 and left because I was needing full time hours and the store was not offering full time hours at that time. But I really enjoyed working there.