Cultivating an individualistic and contemporary image, H&M stocks products for men, women, and children as well as designer housewares. The fashion retailer runs over 3,000 stores in locations all around the world from headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden.
Facts About Working at H&M
Minimum Age to Work at H&M: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at H&M?)
H&M Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 10:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 12:00pm-6:00pm
Available Positions at H&M: Designer, lead sales associate, sales advisor, sales associate, store manager, visual merchandiser
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
H&M Employee Interview Videos
H&M Job Opportunities
The first H&M store, which opened in 1947, sold only clothing for women. Over 20 years after the opening, the modern-day concept emerged when the original store bought a hunting and fishing equipment shop and started to sell clothing for men. The retailer stocks a comprehensive collection of fashion essentials. Customers may find anything from sportswear, pajamas, and suits to patio decorations, undergarments, and clothes for newborns. Due to the high volumes of merchandise found at any store branch, the company consistently hires high-energy and organized individuals to staff locations.
H&M encompasses six different brands: H&M, & Other Stories, COS, Monki, Weekday, and Cheap Monday. While each subsidiary serves a slightly different clientele and style, the brands exemplify the quirky and characteristic boundary-pushing for which the retailer remains known. The company also encourages expression of individuality in employees. Due to high worker turnover and the need for additional staffing during major sales seasons, the retailer remains vigilant in the search for passionate individuals looking to start careers in the fashion industry.
H&M Positions and Salary Information
H&M provides jobs on an international scale. With many opportunities for growth into corporate offices or as designers and visual merchandisers, entry-level positions often represent stepping stones to lucrative, lifetime careers. Additionally, the corporation cultivates caring and sustainable environments in retail outlets operating within the brand. Entry-level employees receive generous pay and extensive job benefits. Some frequently available and accessible positions include:
- Starting pay usually rests around $10.00 per hour, although full-time sales advisors may earn as much as $12.00 hourly to begin.
- Sales advisors spend a majority of each shift on the sales floor and must prove willing and able to help customers find merchandise and answer any questions shoppers might ask.
- Individuals interested in the position should possess physical stamina and remain willing to work weekends and late nights.
- Cashiers need to work the register area, which entails bagging items neatly, promoting sales, and completing transactions.
- Hourly rates for cashiers land near $10.00.
- Other duties include maintaining the cleanliness and presentation of stores and coordinating with other sales advisors to ensure customers receive quality care and consideration.
- Working in a position which requires strong leadership and rigid organization, store managers oversee the overall functionality and profitability of stores.
- Regular duties of an H&M store manager include providing excellent customer service by responding to complaints and issues directly and swiftly, leading teams of sales advisors by example, monitoring stock and ordering merchandise when appropriate, ensuring the displays in the store match corporate expectations, and building quality teams by hiring and training associates as necessary.
- Store managers may earn anywhere from $45,000 to $65,000 in annual salary options.
Tips For Applying
H&M maintains a reputation for creating relaxed and friendly store environments and encourages job hopefuls to express individuality during the interview process. Applicants should not shy away from picking outfits which effectively demonstrate personal style and taste. Researching the values and history of the company, crafting a cover letter, and structuring a resume to highlight attributes relevant to the retail industry also remain great ways to cultivate favorable impressions. The retailer stands known for conducting group interviews, so rehearsing answers to common interview questions may prove beneficial, as well.
The fashion retailer generally takes two weeks to a month to notify applicants of job offers. However, as with any company in the fashion industry, a high volume of applications results in an inability to contact every individual seeking a job with H&M. Tenacity and consistency represent great traits to possess when checking on the status of an application. Calling the store to touch base with the hiring manager remains the most effective way to ensure an answer about a job.
Benefits of Working at H&M
H&M affords employees lavish work benefit packages. Health insurance options cover occupational accidents, mental health, dental, vision, life, and disability. Staff members may also set up 401(k) retirement plans and company-sponsored pension plans after a year of employment. Other available job benefits include employee discounts, performance bonuses, adoption assistance, vacations and paid time off, and discounted plans with mobile phone services.
More Information on H&M
In a campaign to become an environmentally friendly corporation, the fashion house implemented a program known as H&M Conscience. The platform outlines seven basic commitments, which include providing fashionable and conscious choices for customers, choosing and rewarding responsible business partners, operating ethically, remaining aware of the climate, reducing, reusing, and recycling whenever possible, using natural resources responsibly, and strengthening communities. Additionally, the campaign calls for fair working conditions and living wages for employees making company merchandise and implements an animal welfare clause into operating business concepts.