Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, Home Depot operates as a big-box home improvement chain. It's one of the largest retailers in the world, with over 2,000 locations.
Facts About Working at The Home Depot
Minimum Age to Work at The Home Depot: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Home Depot?)
The Home Depot Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 6:00am-10:00pm, Sun: 8:00am-8:00pm
Available Positions at The Home Depot: Cashier, department manager, freight associate, sales associate, store manager, tool rental technician
Home Depot Employee Interview Videos
Listen to employees describe what it is like to work for Home Depot:
Job Opportunities at The Home Depot
No Experience Required
The retailer consistently hires workers who excel in fast-paced environments and enjoy working with the public. Most entry-level opportunities are perfect for applicants with little to no previous experience.
Moving Up the Ladder
Duties typically include stocking shelves, helping customers, and keeping work areas clean. Workers can earn additional responsibilities, titles, and pay over time.
Becoming a Manager
Store management roles usually require additional retail experience and education. Supervisors must have an understanding of daily operations and managing others. An extensive sales background is also necessary to qualify.
Does Home Depot Hire Felons?
Home Depot hires felons, but this can depend on several factors. For example, more serious offenses may automatically disqualify some candidates. This retailer conducts background checks after the interview, so hopefuls should be honest with hiring managers. Those with a criminal record are not eligible for jobs in management or security.
Home Depot Positions and Salary Information
Applicants should have a high school diploma or GED when applying. While previous retail experience can help, most employees get full training for the following positions:
- Sales associates assist customers by answering questions about merchandise.
- Workers must be constantly moving and able to perform basic manual labor.
- Employees should be kind, courteous, and patient at all times.
- Sales associates typically work part-time and earn up to $11.00 an hour.
- Read the Home Depot sales associate job description.
- Employees provide customers with fast and friendly service.
- Cashiers handle transactions
- Typically work part-time hours
- Typically earn around $9.00 per hour.
- Review the Home Depot cashier job description.
- Store managers supervise the sales team for great customer service.
- Employees coordinate work schedules, department tasks, and company policies.
- Managers handle finances and stock at the store.
- Most work full-time and make an average salary of $90k per year.
- Read the Home Depot manager job description.
Tool Rental Technician
- Associates clean, inspect, and do basic maintenance on rental tools.
- Previous experience working with machines is not required but can help job applicants stand out.
- Tool rental technicians can make up $14.00 hourly.
Tips for Applying
Eligible candidates can fill out applications either online or in stores. The online application asks for personal information, education, and work experience. In order to speed the process up, gather all relevant materials ahead of time. Check over all phone numbers, contact names, and other information to ensure there are no errors or misspellings.
Online applicants typically receive a verification email. Candidates wait a few days to as long as a week to hear back from hiring managers about interviews. Applicants can use the online career portal to check on current applications or should contact stores during slower hours.
Benefits of Working at Home Depot
Eligible employees may enjoy access to the following:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee stock purchase plans
- Health savings accounts
- 401(k) retirement plans
Paid time off for vacations, holidays, and personal days are also available to qualifying workers.
Additional Information about Home Depot
Established in 1999, The Homer Fund is a charitable organization used to help at-risk employees. The organization provides money for shelter, food, and clothes in case of natural disasters and other unforeseen expenses. Home Depot also uses the fund for grants and scholarships. Over $100 million has been granted to over 90,000 associates.