Buffet chains like Hometown Buffet consistently hire on new staff to support operations. The large network of buffets operates as part of a larger corporation that boasts more than 345 locations. Jobs available feature customer service, culinary, sanitation, and promotional responsibilities. Managerial careers also exist for motivated applicants.
Facts About Working at HomeTown Buffet
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at HomeTown Buffet?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Host/Hostess, General Manager, Carver, Mascot, Baker, Line Cook, Prep Cook, Dishwasher, Food Bar Restaurant Manager, Hospitality Manager, Area Facility Manager, Construction Manager, Project coordinator, Area Director, Compensation and Benefits Analyst, Account Payable Specialist, Benefits Manager, Project Lead, CAD Operator, Director of Construction, Restaurant Service Manager, General Manager, Kitchen Manager
HomeTown Buffet Employee Interview Videos
HomeTown Buffet Employment Opportunities
The loud and often fast-paced work environments of Hometown Buffet locations requires employees remain on task and perform job duties to the best of known abilities at all times. Workers must take extra precautions when handling food and preparing meals. Attention to detail also proves necessary when catering to patrons’ requests and maintaining high levels of customer service. Applicants who demonstrate strong personable attitudes and attentive demeanors throughout the hiring process usually gain favor over other potential associates.
Due to the culinary nature of many positions available at Hometown Buffet restaurants, applicants may need to possess certain qualities, like the ability to operate commercial kitchen equipment or stand over a certain age in order to sell alcohol to customers. Promptness and efficiency benefit job candidates seeking placement in any available positions. Careers in management often require administrative skillsets, including excellent leadership, sales, and motivational abilities. The minimum hiring age for entry-level positions starts at 16 years old, while management candidates must generally stand at least 18 years old for employment consideration. Proven experience in the restaurant industry also remains important to an applicant pursuing a management position, in addition to valid driver’s licenses and high school diplomas.
Hometown Buffet Positions and Salary Information
Long hours for employees and diverse menu options for customers serve as characteristics of the widespread buffet chain. Employment generally includes the benefits of flexible scheduling, paid training, competitive base pay, and lucrative salary options for managers. Over time, associates gain access to job benefits packages, as well. A typical job seeker may take interest in the following positions:
- Unlike many restaurants, Hometown Buffet assigns cashiers to work strictly at cash registers completing transactions.
- On rare occasions and during slow hours, cashiers may assist the restaurant crew with basic cleanup and sanitation procedures.
- The position involves a great deal of personal interactions with guests.
- Successful applicants embody personable, attentive, and outgoing qualities.
- Most cashiers work part-time.
- Entry-level base pay sits at minimum wage.
Food Bar Attendant
- A somewhat behind-the-scenes position, food bar attendant jobs primarily require employees take responsibility for replenishing and changing out food trays as needed.
- Workers must perform duties quickly to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Food bar attendants also clean and sanitize stations throughout each day and at the end of every given shift.
- The position also pays minimum wage at the start.
- The role of server at Hometown Buffet locations slightly adjusts due to the all-you-can-eat and self-serve business concepts.
- Servers primarily serve drinks and cater to patrons’ requests.
- The positions involves walking on foot and communicating directly with guests.
- Working knowledge of menu options and drinks available proves necessary to remain successful in the position.
- Applicants may need to maintain presentable appearances to work as servers, as well.
- Average hourly pay for servers sits at $8.00, with entry-level new-hires earning minimum wage.
- A bi-fold position, cooks and bakers work together in Hometown Buffet kitchens to prep and create meals for patrons.
- Cooks and bakers prepare foods in large volumes to satisfy the buffet concepts of the available menus.
- The ability to remain focused and stay on task proves pivotal for employment.
- Applicants may need minor backgrounds in the culinary arts or restaurant industry in order to work as cooks or bakers.
- The regular handling of food requires cooks and bakers maintain sanitary working conditions at assigned stations.
- Associates must adhere to rules and regulations set forth by the company regarding cleanliness and personal hygiene at all times.
- Cooks and bakers earn similar hourly pay hovering between $8.00 and $10.00, on average.
Tips For Applying
Job hopefuls looking for buffet jobs with the nationwide chain should take time to complete the required hiring forms to the best of known abilities before submitting the documents to a preferred location. Information provided should receive a double check for relevancy and accurateness. Turning in an application in person may provide candidates a way to speak with management and personally express desires to work for the buffet chain. However, the online careers portal provided by parent company Ovation Brands Inc. offers complete position breakdowns and allows candidates to apply for multiple positions from a PC, laptop, or tablet.
After submitting the necessary forms for consideration, applicants generally hear back from hiring staff within a few days with intent to schedule interviews. The entire process for reviewing applicants may last anywhere from one to two weeks, with most qualified job seekers receiving employment offers within seven days of submitting the required job forms. To check on the status of an application, individuals must call or email the desired location and talk with a manager directly. The best time to call usually includes slower hours just prior to and following breakfast, lunch, and dinner crowds. Candidates may send emails accordingly; however, hiring personnel may respond better to phone calls or in-person visits.
Benefits of Working at Hometown Buffet
Hometown Buffet cultures workers into industry professionals. Training programs and ongoing career development allow team members to hone skills and advance within the company to managerial or corporate roles. The buffet chain also provides discounted meals to eligible workers. Job benefits packages, consisting of:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off, and
- Healthcare options
- Also exist for qualified employees.
Specific employment benefits and eligibility requirements may vary by location.
Additional Information on Hometown Buffet
Parent company Ovation Brands Inc. oversees the operations of four other buffet chains in addition to Hometown Buffet. The massive restaurant enterprise maintains buffets in 35 U.S. states. A private company, Ovation Brands overtook former Hometown parent Buffets Inc. in 2008. The company rebranded in late 2013 under the current moniker.